sypei
Journeyman III

rx 580 crashes in any game

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H

Processor: Intel core i5-4590

Graphics card: AMD MSI Radeon RX 580 8gb

Power Supply: EVGA 650 B3 80+ Bronze 650W

Overall problem:

My computer has frozen when under any load when playing games, will hard freeze the entire computer, with no warning. had some BSOD's in the beginning caused by un-updated drivers. before and after the BSOD's the computer would freeze entirely with no warning and no screen visual glitches 

my MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB crashes when playing any game, it has only crashed in games and never when using chrome or anything else, benchmarks continuously will not crash the system. games even in the start screen will crash within 5 minutes to an hour and rarely up to four consecutive hours. under heavy use in games such as Space Engineers, Beamng.Drive, Terratech, Scrap Mechanic and even Heavily modded Garry's mod will crash at high settings but light games such as Undertale, Roblox, and Reassembly will crash it at minimum settings too,

Things i have tried (in order of trying):

setting game settings lower 

playing lighter load games

running games separately from steam (steam was the only one crashing constantly on games, later turned out to be any game with further testing) 

running games separately on a USB drive along with steam

Reinstalling steam

Reinstalling drivers (19.4.3 and 19.5.2 [knocked windows out entirely and had to do a system restore]

changing the fan speed in MSI afterburner to be higher under load

changing the core clock to be lower in case the power supply cant handle it (which is unlikely)

running it in safe mode (got nowhere as windows wouldn't open any games due to lack of drivers being loaded)

stopping literally every process but required ones and steam in the task manager, this worked for about four hours and crashed again. 

deleting every driver and AMD program with REVOuninstaller and retrying in case of driver/program clash

0 Likes
11 Replies