cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

arielvtpma
Adept I

real tdp

For me it is important to know the real TDP of ryzen processors in order to get effective cooling solutions.

Where can I get a real TDP table list for the ryzen processors?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
6 Replies

There is no such thing. As TechSpot points out in their "Things AMD Needs To Fix" article, the TDP figure, much like Intel's although closer to real life, is fairly arbitrary.

AMD’s exact definition of the TDP is “the maximum power a processor can draw for a thermally significant period while running commercially useful software.”

I watched "hardware unboxed" (youtube) before posting to know your opinion guys.

I had an amd dx2-80, amd 64, amd 64x2, amd a8-3870k.

I am thinking of a Ryzen 5 2400G.

0 Likes

AMD "TDP" stands for Typical Draw Power.

Basically it means that under Stock Conditions, the Maximum Power Drawn by the CPU will be what it is rated as.

For example the Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 / 3.5GHz is a 65w Processor. This means that at 3.5GHz while Gaming / Transcoding Video / etc. it will peak at 65w Draw.

Where-as the Ryzen 5 1600X 3.4 / 3.7GHz is a 95w Processor. This means that at 3.8GHz while Gaming / Transcoding Video / etc. it will peak at 95w Draw.

Now as a point of note, the TDW (Thermal Dissipation Wattage) or as Intel refer to it TDP (Thermal Design Point) … for AMD can be best expressed as:

PowerDraw * 0.68 = TDW (for 65c, or AMD Ideal Operational Temperature).

At 95w Draw, this means 65w Dissipation is Required.

At 65w Draw, this means 44w Dissipation is Required.

Now as a note, the Packaged Wraith Coolers are Rated (TDW) as follows:

Stealth  65w (95w TDP at 100%)

Spire     95w (140w TDP at 100%)

Max      125w (180w TDP at 100%)

Ripper  170w (250w TDP at 100%)

As for the Ryzen 5 2400G., it operates at:

(Cool-n-Quiet) • 3.4GHz (Processor) / 600MHz (Graphics) at 46w

(Performance) • 3.8GHz (Processor) / 1250MHz (Graphics) at 65w

It can be Overclocked to 4.2GHz (Processor) / 1500MHz (Graphics) at 95w.

It's boxed with the Wraith Stealth., which is more than capable under full load keeping the Processor at 65c even heavily overclocked.

You'll find this is actually the case with *ALL* of the AMD Packaged Coolers... which as it stands *only* the Ryzen 1st Gen "X" Variant and 2nd Gen "GE" Variant don't come with a Packaged Wraith Cooler.

As a note the 'GE' are the Desktop Unlocked version of the Ryzen Mobile., as such instead of being 15-20w they are 35w parts instead.

They should for all intended purposes be capable of using Passive Coolers. (Arctic Alpine AM4 Passive​ for example would work for the 2200GE and 2400GE., in-fact it's designed for the A12 9800E... which is much more thermally demanding)

While I do like the Hardware Unboxed Channel... a lot of their "Technical" elements has a habit of being more "Man-off-the-Street" rather than Technically Savvy.

It becomes a little involved to properly delve into this topic, so if ALL you wanted to know what "What do I need to keep the R5 2400G Cooled?" … then your answer is simple … The Wraith Stealth that it's Packaged with.

If however you're curious Heat Sink Sizing Calculator | Celsia ​this is an awesome tool for figuring out the "Ideal" Cooler Size.

Tcase is ALWAYS 95c for AMD Products... Max Ambient, I'd recommend at 25-35c … Heat Source is whatever AMD list as the TDP * 1.47 … finally the Rv is in essence the Fan Speed., 800 = Passive, 80 = ~42 CFM at 0.92 - 2.8mm H20 (Static Pressure)

What AMD list as their TDP (or nTDP Range) is accurate and useful.

Very useful information.

Thanks,

Still I am thinking of a Thermalright ARO-M14 for the Ryzen 5 2400G.

Thanks again.

0 Likes

That's one hell of a beat of an Air Cooler... you wouldn't be able to max out it's capabilities even with a Ryzen 7 1800X pushed to it's absolute limits (which is the "Hottest" AM4 Socket Processor).

Somewhat the very definition of overkill for a Ryzen 5 2400G.

Even the Thermalright True Spirit 90 Direct (which is their "Low End" Product), would be more than enough.

It does make me confused though... if you're planning on getting a High-Performance Cooler, with clearly no Height Restrictions., and aiming for such a Low-End Part, why was the "Real TDP" even a consideration?

Like I'd understand if we were talking about an ITX Case, where space is at a premium... the available Low-Profile Coolers can have issues with Ram or PSU Clearance; plus airflow is typically poor, meaning you have to also take into consideration the VRM / Chipset / M.2 / Memory Cooling (that ideally you want the CPU Cooler to perform double duty, but further to said point the overall Static Pressure Lowers while Ambient Raises., making the Cooling less capable of attaining it's "Maximum" Performance). Same is true if you're bound by a Low-Power SFF PSU, with say 230 - 280w.

And yeah I've had ITX Solutions, where I've forgotten about that aspect of the SFF PSU; the Cooler has kicked in to keep the Overclock under-control, before triggering the Power Surge / Limit and turning off the entire System.

Sounds like you merely saw the Hardware Unboxed Video, then assumed it would be an issue because of what they said.

Which, while I like the Hardware Unboxed guys... I think they produce decent and entertaining content., at least from a General Consumer perspective; like Channels such-as Linux Tech Tips, or JaysTwoCents., they're not really Hardware Enthusiasts as much as they're just Prosumers.

If you want more sound and accurate information, I'd recommend Gamers Nexus; as they're far more Tech Savvy. They focus more on the Technical Aspects of Hardware as opposed to merely "Who has the biggest Benchmark Score" and will often cover topics (such-as TDP and Cooling) much more Comprehensively for the Laymen.

Plus their "AskGN" which they do on a regular basis, are a good place to ask such Technical Questions., in-fact they quite prefer such over the usual Tabloid questions that have been prevalent as of late... they could provide a far more Laymen explanation, and would almost certainly trigger them to do some extra video content delving more deeply into said topic about TDP and TDW Ratings for Products.

He he,

I know that the ARO-M14O is more than enough.

1. I am 50 years old.

2. So I have more than 20 year of experience building systems.

3. I am subcribed to all those guys (Linus, Gamers Nexus, Actually Hardcore Overclocking, etc)

4. I have always used a third party cooler (Zalman, Thermaltake, etc).

The real TDP table info you gave is very useful. It inspires people's confidence that their AMD based systems won't burn out.

Thanks again,

0 Likes