Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

"old" mobo/UEFI graphic card compability

Hi guys,

I planed to build a new rig soon with zen, but first i want to upgrade my graphic card (an RX480).

i got an M5A78L-M LX V2 from asus, and i wanted to know if it will works with this RX 480 8g from sapphire  (21260-00-20G).

p. s. : sorry for my english

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Re: "old" mobo/UEFI graphic card compability

Hello oris,

The graphics card based on AMD RX 480 chip could work on M5A78L-M V2 on a degraded performance, but proper PSU is needed, for it consumes power more than 100W. I wish this could answer your question.

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Thx for the quick answer  Mr Janagewen,

i think i will be fine with my "400w  Elite power" cooler master. however, i got an FX 4350 wich is one of the most power hungry CPU.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Degraded performance?The Rx 480 does not have enough grunt to push the pci-e 2.0 slot to such a level that you feel a bottleneck.It will work just fine, EFI or not bios.

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Your reply is appreciated.

Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

Untitled2.png

Thank you for that you called me as Mr. Well, please pay attention about the firmware version, if lower than 1201, you'd better update it to the latest before making them both run. 400W Elite Power is almost adequate to drive up your system without problems. 

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

i order the card,

I'll recieve it next week, in the meantime i'll check my firmware version.

anyway be sure that i will give you and the community some feedbacks

have a nice weekend

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots have lots of bandwidth even for the most extreme video cards.

More important is to have a good power supply with lots of extra capacity

UEFI for a video card adds graphics modes, which are fully backwards compatible.

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

While you await your card, make sure your motherboard BIOS is updated. Also make sure windows is fully updated too.

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Hi evryone,

i recieved my new cards 2 days ago. In the meantime, i did update my motherboard Bios (an Asus M5A78L-M LX V2). i can confirm that an RX480 8G (the blower type one : 21260-00-20G) works fine, even with an FX 4350 and an 400 w power supply. I have to say that my power supply get little hot before the drivers' installation, it's fine now.

i tried to stress it, like ultra on the witcher etc... it was a  verry smooth run, even if my CPU probably bottleneck the RX480. (for the record i play on an 1080p monitor).

thx for your advices, and see you in my next post (probably when i will build my zen rig)

have a good day!!

0 Kudos