cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Question: Why are there no great sub $1000 laptops?

As I've been looking for a new laptop, I'm simply astounded by the lack of good sub $1000 laptops, even on "sale", which there aren't any good ones on this Memorial Day. All of the ones I've seen are compromised in some critical way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ASUS TUF Gaming A17 Gaming Laptop, for example, looks good on the surface for $1000 with:

But reading deeper into the specs, you get

And those are absolutely HORRID.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there's the MSI 15.6" Alpha 15 Gaming which is now $900, and again looks pretty decent on paper...

But then you look at the reviews, such as the one from Notebookcheck:

Which again is pretty much unacceptable. 4 hours is nothing.

And sadly MSI's successor to that, the MSI Bravo 15 A4DDR-023, dumps the screen down to a garbage 45% coverage model.

And I could go on and on and on, even mentioning the many Intel models which have great screens and battery life, yet only run integrated UHD graphics. The Lenovo Yoga C740S, for example.

Is there one I'm overlooking that has great CPU performance, battery life, a great screen, and even decent graphics performance? Or is the best thing to wait until a laptop like the ASUS Zephyrus G14 with the Ryzen 4900H and RTX 2060 Max-Q, a battery life while watching videos or web browsing of 11 hours (source: TomsHardware), and a screen with a color gamut of 77% AdobeRGB (source: DigitalTrends) goes on clearance and hopefully grab one before they're all gone?

0 Likes
0 Replies