Adept I

Problem with new build . . .

SO suggestion was made to post here about my slow build.  SO here goes:

Brand new Asus Sabertooth 990FX

AMD FX-8370

34 gb DDR3 PC1600

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

4 Internal SSD Drives

Mostly I use my PC to run BOINC (SETI@home), been running it since '99.  Until this latest build I could run it full and have plenty of power to play games, mostly WoW.

I have it configured to use 5 CPU's and it uses the CUDA's on the Video.

HOWEVER, since the Build, whenever I have SETI running and try to do anything, even watching a video on facebook, I get a lot of lag until I disable SETI.  I'm use to running not only SETI, but 2 instances of WoW and having a video streaming in the back ground, not any more.

I've had a couple people suggest my MoBo bus can't handle the full speed of the Graphics, I've even seen some suggestions on throttling it back some.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Problem with new build . . .

So what was your previous build, and why did you go with an FX-8370 when Ryzen has such a performance advantage?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Previous was 1st Gen Fx. I was having some mobo issues, I didn't want to wait for the RMA so I got the Asus. And since I was going for a new Mobo decided to go with new CPU. Biggest reason was cost.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

With the RAM yea

• FX-8350 - $140
  • Asus Sabertooth 990FX - $200

Subtotal $340

vs

• Ryzen R3 1300X - $130
  • MSI Gaming AMD Ryzen B350 - $80
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 - $280

Subtotal $490

$150 more, 30%, but you'd have 30% higher performance. As it is you're still asking 4 floating point processors to handle SETI@Home calculations.

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

5 plus the Video. BUT that still doesn't address that everything was great before hand, other than the Mobo was failing, so updating hardware should have increased performance not degrade it.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos