cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Chato_v2
Adept II

Powercolor Red Devil RX 6700 XT Temps

When playing Destiny 2 I noticed that my Junction temp goes to 85 degrees and I know that its just the hottest part of the dye, but isnt that a little high for just running at stock settings. My rig is bult with Ryzen 5 5600x, Red devil rx 6700 xt, MSI B-550 Mag Tomahawk, Corsair 16gb Vengeance Pro.  

0 Likes
11 Replies

The 5000 & 6000 series GPU cards all have 110c Maximum Operating Temperature. (Hot Spot or T Junction)  Which means if any of the various Thermal sensors through out the GPU card reaches 110c it will automatically start to throttle or slow down.

So at 80c it is running fine and 30 degrees below its Maximum Operating Temperature.

The fan rpm’s are low I would think that they be faster to keep it cooler. What if I tinker with the fan curve? Would that help at all?

0 Likes

Yes try a more aggressive fan curve so the fans will turn on at a cooler temperature. See if that helps the GPU card from running to hot or overheating.

Make sure both fans are running at a high RPM when it get very hot.

Are you using Radeon Settings Performance Tuners to set the fan curve or some other 3rd party like MSI Afterburner or Sapphire Trixx software?

0 Likes

Using the Radeon Software for the fan curve. 

Chato_v2
Adept II

I did some tinkering on the Radeon software for the fan curve i left zero RPM on but i did raise the curve up some and now my fans on the GPU are steady between 1600 & 1700 rpm's and my junction temp is about 8-10 degrees cooler that seemed to help so i hope those speeds don't ruin the fans on the GPU cause i do game a lot lol

I imagine those GPU fans are engineered to last under heavy use.  They should last for some time.

If one should go bad you can always order another replacement fan.

But if you still have Zero RPM enabled than they should last a long time since they shouldn't be running the entire time your PC is powered up like the old GPU fans before Zero RPM became a feature.

0 Likes
venaur
Elite

That doesn't sound too terribly hot to me, but i am far from an expert. 

As a side note, i was quite surprised/depressed that the place i work needed a new PC ASAP for one of our microscopes. This was during the height of the shortages, and the only PC they could find was form a gaming company. What they got was better than my home build with a 5700XT. I was quite jealous when we opened it up and it had a 6800XT in it in a VERY clean looking setup. Even has tons of RGB. Our lab looks a lot livelier now. 

blazek
Volunteer Moderator

What's the case air flow looking like?

Does you have it set on Quiet BIOS or Performance BIOS?

It should alter the fans behavior and drop the temps a bit more on performance.

Also, a very close case in the front will make the GPU suffer a bit more, even if you pack it with fans.

The Englishman

As JohnnyEnglish mentioned that GPU Card has a Dual BIOS on it. One is silent and one for Performance (Overclocking). If it is on Silent then try switching it to Performance and you probably would need to readjust your Fan curve once you find out how the GPU card works in the Performance BIOS.

Screenshot 2022-04-09 205942.png

Also for your GPU card the GPU temperature must go at or above 60c before the fans turn on.

Screenshot 2022-04-09 210010.png

ripcord
Adept III

Check how is your GPU Mounted? Is it vertical or horizontal?

Mounting GPU Vertically - The biggest concern being the thermals of the GPU itself, and the reason behind this concern is a valid one. You see, when you mount your GPU vertically onto your case, the fans get a lot closer to the side window. This normally would not be an issue for water cooled GPU, but for air-cooled GPU, this is a thing of a nightmare as the minor gap is really not good enough for airflow. As a matter of fact, the airflow gets choked drastically, which results in increased thermals, as well as thermal throttling, which in return affects the clock speeds by having them reduced overall.

Hope this helps

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Radeon RX 7800 XT, MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE Wi-Fi, 64 GB DDR4.