cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

POWER REQUIREMENTS FOR GRAPHICS CARDS

The aim of this article is to help you better understand what power supply your computer may need depending on its most power-hungry component: the graphics card. The “Recommended PSU Wattage” value is for the whole system, not only for the graphics card/s.

PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX  

Partial graph:

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: POWER REQUIREMENTS FOR GRAPHICS CARDS

I really wish articles like this didn't exist, given the number of really garbage power supplies out there. You get someone with a RX 480 and pair them up with some Chinese Firecracker 500w PSU which is only capable of around a combined 29A at 12v spread across two rails, like Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2DB 500W ATX12V Power Supply-Newegg.com (12v1@15A, 12v2@16A), or APEVIA See-Through ATX-AS500W-BK 500W ATX12V Power Supply-Newegg.com (12v1@16A, 12v2@18A), or even the Thermaltake TR2 TR-500 500W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply-Newegg.com (12v1@18A, 12v2@17A) and you're just asking for trouble, especially with units with gimmicks like transparent covers.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Yeah, but it's a good guideline. How many times have you had to look up power requirements for a certain graphics card? I am using it as a bookmark.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

None, I use a SeaSonic X750

But it's easy. Set a base level of 300w for your CPU, motherboard, and all connected equipment not counting the graphics card, add 225w per graphics card (400w if dual 8 pin connectors), then add around 100w more for a capacitor degeneration buffer (~2% max power per year), and that should be your target, which comes out to about 750w for a single graphics card setup and 1100w in the case of a 4-way Crossfire setup with 4 8-pins.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I mean looking up a posters required power supply to eliminate it as a issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I tell them 650-750w unless they have a lower end setup, like an APU, quality Corsair units of that size are around $60, plus it brings it in the 50% range for maximum efficiency, plus it also covers them if they do something stupid like buy some Chinese Firecracker.

0 Kudos