Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Pleasing and informative new AMD Forum format - Opinion only

@elstaci @pokester Thank you very much for taking the time to summarize everyone's feedback. I appreciate it. As mentioned, we will look into these and get back to you shortly. Smiley Happy

Sam T.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Sam I am sure that 1000 images maximum is sufficient for 90% of AMD Users who come to AMD to get some answers and then leave and not participate anymore.  Or those Users that participate only once in awhile.  But for those other Users who participate heavily for years, After deleting 1000 images it may last for a couple of years before the User again needs to delete images to gain access to upload again.

Like as an example, at least for me and Kingfish and probably Black Zion, we were already maxed out as soon as the new format became effective.

It took me close to 2 hours to delete all the photos in my Album (unable to delete all contents in Album with one click)  thinking that it will only delete from my profile only but found out later from another User that it also deletes the images from all the threads that I uploaded to in the past.

Maybe you can put a time limit for each image to be kept. After a certain amount of time has elapsed the image will be automatically deleted but not from the thread but only from the User's profile, thus this way it will stay at 1000 images or less automatically.

Also if you can't separate the deletion of the Album images from the previous threads then you should put a warning for the User before deleting that it will also delete the image from the previous thread it was uploaded to in the past.

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Here is my first post on the new forum. Thank you to everyone who labored to make it happen - exporting all the data from the old forum, importing it to the new forum, and getting everything working requires completion of a lot of tasks. Kudos!

I was unable to login at first, and so sent a pwd reset, which failed to authenticate the first time. I tried it again a few minutes later, and it worked.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

@elstaci wrote:

Sam I am sure that 1000 images maximum is sufficient for 90% of AMD Users who come to AMD to get some answers and then leave and not participate anymore.  Or those Users that participate only once in awhile.  But for those other Users who participate heavily for years, After deleting 1000 images it may last for a couple of years before the User again needs to delete images to gain access to upload again.

Like as an example, at least for me and Kingfish and probably Black Zion, we were already maxed out as soon as the new format became effective.

It took me close to 2 hours to delete all the photos in my Album (unable to delete all contents in Album with one click)  thinking that it will only delete from my profile only but found out later from another User that it also deletes the images from all the threads that I uploaded to in the past.

Maybe you can put a time limit for each image to be kept. After a certain amount of time has elapsed the image will be automatically deleted but not from the thread but only from the User's profile, thus this way it will stay at 1000 images or less automatically.

Also if you can't separate the deletion of the Album images from the previous threads then you should put a warning for the User before deleting that it will also delete the image from the previous thread it was uploaded to in the past.

I completely agree. For those of us that use pictures all the time to help the OPs the limit will be an issue. Many OPs we help with picture also help new users with new problems that often come even years later. So if we delete those photos those older posts that would have helped a new user out no longer will. Please allow for the top users to maybe have an unlimited amount of photos or at least much larger to be allowed. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

@sam-amd wrote:

@elstaci @pokester Thank you very much for taking the time to summarize everyone's feedback. I appreciate it. As mentioned, we will look into these and get back to you shortly. Smiley Happy

I also can't figure out a way to add friends. I can only do it if they message me. So I added you but can't add  matt, ray, or fsadough or any of my peers that I constantly contact. 

Also is there a list of official moderators that users can select as they are no longer on the leaderboard either?

I am just feeling really lost in this new forum with none of the normal information that used to be in the headers of the forums for guidelines and how to post. No explanation as to the purpose of the forum and that it is a USER TO USER English forum. 

All this information needs to be in this new forum or we as user trying to help are going to be constantly be battling to say the same things over and over again do to this simple information being missing.

If this is confusing for long time users I can't imagine that a new user is going to have a good time of it. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi. 
I load images all the time to illustrate problems / solutions.
1000 limit definitely not enough. 
Prefer the old points system FYI...
I also found the old personalised list of topics I had replied to easier to follow and use.
Thanks.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I also liked the old points better too made you feel more engaged in the system and found the old badges far more meaningful as they actually seemed to represent the different categories of help and participation better. Honestly and I know that jive had some shortcomings but so far I am not finding much of anything here much better and it is mission a whole lot. Hope it gets better as we go, quickly. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

@sam-amd 

Thanks for looking into the picture issue as that is a biggie!

How do you message someone without having to memorize their name? You can't click on a name or profile and choose to message anywhere I can see? Is there a way you guys could add a link to private message folks from their profile page to make this a bit easier?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

RE: found the old badges far more meaningful as they actually seemed to represent the different categories of help and participation better.

Correct. 

There are only so many times I can do support and respond to people telling them that their Driver instability problems are due to: 
(1). Windows 10 sneak install of autodetected old "Microsoft AMD" drivers. 
(2). They need to use latest version of DDU to really have a clean driver install. 
(3). They must disconnected from the internet to install. 
(4). They need to have removed all 3rd Party OC tools, especially MSI Afterburner ...
(5). They need to run Windows 10 checks ...
etc.

I would prefer to create a  post detailing the problem / issue. They  often require lots of work, but little "kudos" given. 

This Kudos based system may be similar to Reddit, where AMD fanboys get upvoted heavily by just saying everything is great all of the time. 

I have not been on here to put AMD CPU or GPU products down. 
I have been on here asking them to fix things or implement better software. 
In many cases I have been "attacked" for asking for such features. 

One recent example was asking AMD to support Radeon Cards in Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise Software.
RX Vega 64 Liquid would not work, for example. That is now fixed after I had to argue about it with AMD support folk. 
However one bad point - it installs the new Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI now for Radeon GPUs.

Another example is me asking for AMD to improve the Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI ergonomics. They are still bad, but we shall see if Adrenalin 2021 is better or if they still have ignored feedback. 

Another is independent FRTC removed.

Another is MultiGPU card selection for Crossfire.  

Other people offering volunteer support on here do similar things. 

Just relying on Kudos = "The Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

What I found odd with the the way badges transferred there are people that had virtually no badges or none that now have nearly as many as the veterans and now also leapfrogged forward in levels. I kind of feel bad too as now I am the same level as people that were higher than me. I realize the systems are not the same but under the old one you really felt like you EARNED your rank advancement and badges. It really kind of make you want to work for it. I don't get that feel from this system. This one just seems to reward you being here and not so much for the actual merit of the contribution.