cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Pleasing and informative new AMD Forum format - Opinion only

First time I logged on to the new AMD Forum format. Needed to change my old Password which wasn't any good any more.

Seems like AMD got rid of JIVE and replaced it with Khoros. Hopefully Khoros will be less annoying than JIVE.

The look is rather pleasing and colorful with a lot of information in each page. 

Rather perplexed by the rating system of KUDOs.  Seems like the old Point system ranking has been replaced by KUDOs ranking.

One thing I noticed you now can delete your Private Messages or mark them as Read which is a nice feature from the old AMD format which it didn't have.

The Thread view is more informative but in a simpler format. Now it shows how many Users have opened each thread and whether it is solved.

I also like that now you have a drop down menu to go to another AMD Forum unlike the old AMD format.

At the top you have your In-Box and PM with separate Icons now instead of everything being in the In-box like the old AMD Format which is a nice feature.

Haven't done anything else but just noting my first impressions of the new AMD Format.  Later on if I see anything that is annoying or hinders the User's experience at AMD Forum I will make a note of it and mention it.

But KUDOs to Sam and all the other AMD employees involved in making this new Format for all Users a better experience.

96 Replies

Yes, it does seem to be the case. I was able to upload a image only after deleting all my images in both of my Photo Albums - Hidden and Public.

Hi - I just replied about this feature (the 1000 images limit). We are going to look into this setting and will get back to you shortly. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

Sam I am sure that 1000 images maximum is sufficient for 90% of AMD Users who come to AMD to get some answers and then leave and not participate anymore.  Or those Users that participate only once in awhile.  But for those other Users who participate heavily for years, After deleting 1000 images it may last for a couple of years before the User again needs to delete images to gain access to upload again.

Like as an example, at least for me and Kingfish and probably Black Zion, we were already maxed out as soon as the new format became effective.

It took me close to 2 hours to delete all the photos in my Album (unable to delete all contents in Album with one click)  thinking that it will only delete from my profile only but found out later from another User that it also deletes the images from all the threads that I uploaded to in the past.

Maybe you can put a time limit for each image to be kept. After a certain amount of time has elapsed the image will be automatically deleted but not from the thread but only from the User's profile, thus this way it will stay at 1000 images or less automatically.

Also if you can't separate the deletion of the Album images from the previous threads then you should put a warning for the User before deleting that it will also delete the image from the previous thread it was uploaded to in the past.

Here is my first post on the new forum. Thank you to everyone who labored to make it happen - exporting all the data from the old forum, importing it to the new forum, and getting everything working requires completion of a lot of tasks. Kudos!

I was unable to login at first, and so sent a pwd reset, which failed to authenticate the first time. I tried it again a few minutes later, and it worked.

@elstaci wrote:

Sam I am sure that 1000 images maximum is sufficient for 90% of AMD Users who come to AMD to get some answers and then leave and not participate anymore.  Or those Users that participate only once in awhile.  But for those other Users who participate heavily for years, After deleting 1000 images it may last for a couple of years before the User again needs to delete images to gain access to upload again.

Like as an example, at least for me and Kingfish and probably Black Zion, we were already maxed out as soon as the new format became effective.

It took me close to 2 hours to delete all the photos in my Album (unable to delete all contents in Album with one click)  thinking that it will only delete from my profile only but found out later from another User that it also deletes the images from all the threads that I uploaded to in the past.

Maybe you can put a time limit for each image to be kept. After a certain amount of time has elapsed the image will be automatically deleted but not from the thread but only from the User's profile, thus this way it will stay at 1000 images or less automatically.

Also if you can't separate the deletion of the Album images from the previous threads then you should put a warning for the User before deleting that it will also delete the image from the previous thread it was uploaded to in the past.

I completely agree. For those of us that use pictures all the time to help the OPs the limit will be an issue. Many OPs we help with picture also help new users with new problems that often come even years later. So if we delete those photos those older posts that would have helped a new user out no longer will. Please allow for the top users to maybe have an unlimited amount of photos or at least much larger to be allowed. 

Hi. 
I load images all the time to illustrate problems / solutions.
1000 limit definitely not enough. 
Prefer the old points system FYI...
I also found the old personalised list of topics I had replied to easier to follow and use.
Thanks.

I also liked the old points better too made you feel more engaged in the system and found the old badges far more meaningful as they actually seemed to represent the different categories of help and participation better. Honestly and I know that jive had some shortcomings but so far I am not finding much of anything here much better and it is mission a whole lot. Hope it gets better as we go, quickly. 

RE: found the old badges far more meaningful as they actually seemed to represent the different categories of help and participation better.

Correct. 

There are only so many times I can do support and respond to people telling them that their Driver instability problems are due to: 
(1). Windows 10 sneak install of autodetected old "Microsoft AMD" drivers. 
(2). They need to use latest version of DDU to really have a clean driver install. 
(3). They must disconnected from the internet to install. 
(4). They need to have removed all 3rd Party OC tools, especially MSI Afterburner ...
(5). They need to run Windows 10 checks ...
etc.

I would prefer to create a  post detailing the problem / issue. They  often require lots of work, but little "kudos" given. 

This Kudos based system may be similar to Reddit, where AMD fanboys get upvoted heavily by just saying everything is great all of the time. 

I have not been on here to put AMD CPU or GPU products down. 
I have been on here asking them to fix things or implement better software. 
In many cases I have been "attacked" for asking for such features. 

One recent example was asking AMD to support Radeon Cards in Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise Software.
RX Vega 64 Liquid would not work, for example. That is now fixed after I had to argue about it with AMD support folk. 
However one bad point - it installs the new Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI now for Radeon GPUs.

Another example is me asking for AMD to improve the Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI ergonomics. They are still bad, but we shall see if Adrenalin 2021 is better or if they still have ignored feedback. 

Another is independent FRTC removed.

Another is MultiGPU card selection for Crossfire.  

Other people offering volunteer support on here do similar things. 

Just relying on Kudos = "The Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome.

Thanks.

What I found odd with the the way badges transferred there are people that had virtually no badges or none that now have nearly as many as the veterans and now also leapfrogged forward in levels. I kind of feel bad too as now I am the same level as people that were higher than me. I realize the systems are not the same but under the old one you really felt like you EARNED your rank advancement and badges. It really kind of make you want to work for it. I don't get that feel from this system. This one just seems to reward you being here and not so much for the actual merit of the contribution. 

If only those badges translated into...something.

'Don need no stinking badges :manmad: How about money? How about products? How about apparel?  New games? (good ones...no Candy Crush type and can sell/transfer to another person)

Products would be nice...Swing a 6900XT my way and I'll let AMD harvest all the "diagnostic data" they see fit.

But really something would be nice, considering we donate our time to help research problems for people, and in the process even help upsell people to higher end products when they ask for a budget recommendation and we say "Well for only a small amount more you can get the next tier for Xx% higher performance" and so forth...

Can't understand why AMD doesn't see it that way...maybe they do. Jeez...we are a labor force. :smileytongue:

@black_zion wrote:
Products would be nice...Swing a 6900XT my way and I'll let AMD harvest all the "diagnostic data" they see fit.

But really something would be nice, considering we donate our time to help research problems for people, and in the process even help upsell people to higher end products when they ask for a budget recommendation and we say "Well for only a small amount more you can get the next tier for Xx% higher performance" and so forth...

I can't say I have not thought the same thing. The biggest reason I help here is not just because I like doing it that much, it is because I truly feel sorry for so many of AMD's customers that literally would not get help any other way. Although I really do like helping those few people who genuinely really do appreciate the help. They always make you feel good when they say thanks, because you can tell when they mean it. I bet I spend nearly as much time helping people in this forum a week as I do, doing my real IT day job. It would be nice if they rewarded the people that give and give the free tech support that helps their customers day in and day out. Honestly they get more support from a couple handful of people in this forum than they do from actual AMD support. It would be nice if AMD did show a bit of appreciation our way once in a while. In reality I think several of us put in about as much work here for free that would earn you at least 50 grand a year doing IT for your job in the real world doing help desk work. So all joking aside a free video card per generation would be a nice thanks to those that help support AMD's customers day in and day out. They give the tech review sites free cards for their opinion and I bet we do far more to help their customers on a daily basis for nothing. Pretty good deal for AMD. 

Something has to be done about counting "I don't have that problem" as a helpful answer and counted as such.

Be careful what you ask for. 
You might end up with one of those AMD bikes ... 

Seriously though - it would be nice to get some real recognition for points earned / support given/ issues raised. 

I do feel that AMD Rewards Support did help me very quickly when an Etailer tried to get out of sending me Raise the Game codes recently... and I know that other people on this forum who complained about problems with AMD Rewards were also helped after some of us pitched in. Not that these problems should arise in the first place.  

@Sam_AMD 

Thanks for looking into the picture issue as that is a biggie!

How do you message someone without having to memorize their name? You can't click on a name or profile and choose to message anywhere I can see? Is there a way you guys could add a link to private message folks from their profile page to make this a bit easier?

Thanks!

Well does this include the bookmarks? (if they exist)

A bookmark to me is one that I marked to be able to use in future posts

Also I wish they would show who the post is directed to...hard to see who is answering what

I also notice it doesn't show the date of the original post which is important to me because if a post is 2 months or older I generally don't reply to those threads since it I consider it to be stale in nature.

So you just deleted all your photos...  all that help you gave with pics is now junk?  I would have waited until the photo limit is upped...  I am sure there will be lots of confused and disappointed people who google and search for answers that are now no longer there  :(

QB

@qbtheslayer

All those images (photos) I uploaded in the past were specifically for the threads I was replying too. So I had no use for 95% of those old images.  Plus many were probably repeats.

I am one of the few Users here at AMD Forums that uploads many images when replying to other Users.  So it is important for me to be able to upload images.

Every image you upload counts towards your maximum of 1000 images. Then you need to delete images to get below 1000 to be able to upload again.

EDIT: I believe why AMD made a maximum of 1000 images is due to HDD/SSD space.  1000 images takes up a huge amount of space on a hard drive in my opinion.  Instead AMD shouldn't save every image uploaded to the User's Profile.  I mean why would I take several minutes or longer trying to find a previous image that I uploaded in my Album from an Album with up to 1000 images to upload again. It is simpler to just copy and paste from the URL to the thread .

@elstaci Yeah go back and look at the "help" you gave with Images involved...  those are now useless to future readers of those threads.  I know why you did it, and why there is a limit...  I was just pointing out that those posts are now almost useless for anyone needing help in the future...

QB

@qbtheslayer 

I see your point but are you sure that when I delete the images or photos from my Album it will also delete the image from the Thread?

If that is true then you have a very good point. I am just assuming that the photos deleted in my personal profile won't be deleted in the actual threads where I uploaded them.

EDIT: You are correct it did delete the images from the previous threads where I uploaded the images. Luckily I always put a link to where I copied the images from in the threads.

Unfortunately I didn't have a choice. I needed to delete the images so that I will be able to help current Users.  But you are right it stinks that all the images that I deleted in my personal Photo Album also deleted the images from all my previous threads.

Hi, i can't see the Photo icon, I only see the

@elstaci wrote:

Took almost 2 hours but deleted all my photos in my album by opening 6 AMD Forum Tabs and deleting 6 pages of photos at a time.

This was an old image I had that I uploaded just now. So that means I don't have the maximum photos of 1000 anymore. But it was tedious and annoying spending that much time deleting one page at a time instead of the entire photo album at once.

Screenshot 2020-11-02 154222.png

EDIT: Unfortunately, you can't Hot key "Paste" anymore. You need to click on the "Photo" icon to upload any images.

Video icon.

What can I do ? Thanks.

0 Likes

Okay thanks for the help getting in Sam.

Is there no way to delete a post you make anymore only an edit? 

Also is there no longer a way to see the AMD admins here anymore? Don't see them on the new leaderboard. How do we message them, or is that not possible anymore? I notice that at least their user names are not the same anymore as they don't show up when you  put in the @ plus their old user name. So with this new forum is AMD even less involved?

Curious as to how badges transfer? Don't seem to really be equivalent to the badges we had nor do the numbers of badges seem to match up. 

Also where did the FAQ section go?

Also noticing when you reply to someone in a thread it doesn't put it under that person but at the end of the thread with no reference to whom you replied to. How will anyone know you are talking to them?

Also where are the community guidelines and information required for posting?

Hello Pokester, Everyone, 

To access the FAQ, click on "Help" which is found in the upper right corner, next to your avatar icon. It's also listed in the pull-down menu of your user profile. 

Here is the link: https://community.amd.com/t5/help/faqpage 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is does Khoros  put a User's Reply to be reviewed by a Moderator? 

If that feature was deleted or replaced with a less restrictive filter than that is a positive for this new AMD Forum format.

0 Likes

Don't forget to add:

Old/read notifications are not deleted/hidden like in the old forums.

@black_zion  added to the reply with the lists of negative concerning this new AMD Format.

Hopefully Sam from AMD can let us know which negatives in the list can be added back to the new AMD Format and if not hopefully he will give an explanation as to why.

asdf23451
Adept III

So far, the forum seems better, but I wish the page elements were a bit smaller and that there was a dark mode. So I made a dark mode mockup that accounts for those two things I'd like.

Dark mode mockupDark mode mockup

Would like this limit increased

ScreenShot_20201113231810.png

Seems like two of my Post in which I uploaded a few images got tagged to be reviewed by a Moderator. Both threads just disappeared without any notice or warning that it is being reviewed. 

Noticed this when one User at AMD Processor forum had the exact same problem with the exact same motherboard and processor. I was going to link the second User to the first User's Thread to show him what I mentioned about resolving his problem. When I went to locate the thread it had completely disappeared.

Now a second thread also disappeared without notice or warning that it is being review by a Moderator.

Also I noticed that you can't ATTACH any files to any threads anymore since that option has been removed. I frequently attached files to threads in the past since I needed to download them anyways and to help the User to read the attached file himself.

Did AMD remove the ATTACH option as a security precaution?

EDIT: Found this under "Help" in above task bar concerning Images uploaded in a thread which explains why my replies went to Moderation:

How do I upload images?

Depending on your starting point, you choose one or more images, choose the album where they'll be located, and upload. There are size limitations, of course, and a community moderator must approve your images before others can see them. You can upload images from:

• Your Albums and Images page
  • Any of your individual Album pages
  • Post Message, Answer, Comment, Article, and other Post pages

So I guess I have a choice, don't upload anymore images because it will automatically go into Moderation each time or have most of my replies delayed from minutes to days depending  on the day of the week.

Just got this error message while editing my previous reply:

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

What is an example of INVALID HTML in a message?

I feel sorry for the Moderators who have to now, besides all their other responsibilities, check every User that uploads an image or images.  They going to need a Costco sized bottle of Tylenol to consume from eye strain each day.

@elstaci wrote:

I feel sorry for the Moderators who have to now, besides all their other responsibilities, check every User that uploads an image or images.  They going to need a Costco sized bottle of Tylenol to consume from eye strain each day.

Well, it was already like that with links on Jive, so not as much has changed as I thought.

Also, trying to submit this, I got the invalid HTML error, so that problem isn't limited to you

Yes, generally at time replies with links were sent for Moderation but never for images as far as I am aware of. When JIVE was active, I don't recall any of my replies being moderated due to images that I posted.

Links could be dangerous since it could lead a User to get his computer infected when visiting a link or maybe post a link that can be considered illegal. So I can see the reason for moderating replies with links on them. They can be a huge security risk to the User or AMD Forum.

I guess some one could upload an image that may cause infection but generally it the content of the image that would send it to moderation.

But now with this new format anyone that uploads an image, the reply will automatically go into moderation to be reviewed by a Moderator. Which wasn't the way it was under JIVE.

By the Way, I never mentioned that error was limited to just me. I just said that i got that error and was asking what an "Invalid HTML" example was. That way I wouldn't do the same mistake in the future.

I was able to add a link using the "insert/edit link' but as you said posting it directly in the post brings that HTML error...which offers you a chance to post it without the offending stuff.

If you look at the last post by me below..you can see what 'leaving the offending' stuff out looks like. Pretty grim.

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/arming-for-war-new-cortex-a78c-will-challenge-x86-i...

If I had a vote...I would want a forum for Ubuntu /etc questions

If I had a vote I would like to have a Laptop forum.

Both of these have special requirements that are not addressed with the responses to Desktop/PC issuues

@kingfish wrote:

If I had a vote...I would want a forum for Ubuntu /etc questions

https://askubuntu.com/

@kingfish wrote:

If I had a vote I would like to have a Laptop forum.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/

I mean in this forum...as we used to have.

@kingfish wrote:

I mean in this forum...as we used to have.

Oh