Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

hexzen
Adept I

PC-freezes after GPU-Upgrade

Hello,

After I Upgraded my Rig(Ryzen 5 1600, 8 GB G.Skill Ram, Gigabyte AB-350 Gaming 3, 500W BeQuiet! PSU) from my old Radeon RX 5400 to a Sapphire RX 580 Special Edition, I get random PC-freezes or Bluescreens, I've send it back to my Hardware-seller and got a new one, then i put it into my PC and fired up GTA V, after about 5 minutes i got an Freeze. These Freezes happen randomly mostly in Games but i had also freezes while watching YouTube. What is the Problem?

0 Likes
5 Replies
noodles59
Miniboss

usually temperature or current system overclock (CPU/RAM) is the problem!

Reset to all default/auto and go from there...

Thanks alot, im Testing now GTA V with Bios reset and Radeon reset

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

DO NOT use the "Recommended" Adrenalin 18.5.1 Drivers., as they have serious issues with Windows 10 Build 1803 (the latest update).

The specific issues that it causes to the various GCN Hardware can be quite different as well.

For my RX 480 and RX VEGA 56,. it was regular Crashing particularly when viewing Videos (YouTube, Netflix, Intro Videos for Games, etc.) and it'd roll the Dice on showing the Blue of Doom.

Where-as on my Brother's R7 360, it didn't output any Video Signal... and switching to the A10 7850K R7 Graphics., only the VGA Output (neither the DVI nor HDMI On-Board would) work.

Conversely speaking the new R5 2400G, would just randomly reboot after about 2-3 minutes.

The issue is corrected in the 18.6.1 (Optional) Drivers... these weren't released to resolve said issue, but were merely "Game Ready" Drivers; however something they changed in them fixed the Stability issues with the latest build of Windows 10.

As a result all of the above Graphics / Processors, are now working perfectly fine on the latest Windows 10 Release Build.

I have reseted Bios and Driver/wattman settings and everything worked, then I started to undervolt and overclock again, I reached 3,5 GHz and everything works stable, but when i go to 3,6 GHz I get these freezes again. And I updated the driver to 18.6.1 before I reseted everything but it was going on freezing

0 Likes

If you're having issues with Stability on your Ryzen 5 1600 clocked beyond Stock., then the issue has nothing to do with your Adrenalin Drivers.

Rather you have to keep in mind that the RX 580 produced A LOT more heat than your previous RX 540.

This is going to impact the Chipset and VRM Temperatures within your Case without Good Airflow., and while the Wraith Spire is an excellent CPU Cooler... it isn't designed to provide good Case Airflow, VRM / Chipset Cooling.

Just take the side off of the case, you'll see what I mean., as you should be able to hit 3.6-3.7GHz fairly easily; as the GPU is no longer Hotboxing the Inside of the Case.

With this said, the 300-Series Chipset is *overly* aggressive when it comes to the Motherboard Temperature... you want to keep it as Cool as possible, else it'll just limit your Overclocking Capabilities. It's such a train wreck of a Chipset.

Getting some good Front-to-Rear Airflow in the case, will resolve the issues.

Still this said, Overclocking the R5 1600 really isn't too useful. Sure getting it up to 4.0GHz is great for Benchmark Scores, but Gaming... eh, doesn't really make that big an impact to really care.