cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

deadinthewater507
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Ok, so I'm trying to find my way throught this new found problem I have. During a recent benchmark test I found that the AMD FX 8350 CPU that I bought two years ago new was in fact an Engineering Sample CPU. After research on the net, I am confused about

Ok, so I'm trying to find my way through this new found problem I have. During a recent benchmark test I found that the AMD FX 8350 CPU that I bought two years ago new was in fact an Engineering Sample CPU. After research on the net, I am confused about what and if I have a legal standing to ask the retailer for a replacement. How has this issue been handled before? What are my options?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
janagewen
Challenger
Challenger

Re: Ok, so I'm trying to find my way throught this new found problem I have. During a recent benchmark test I found that the AMD FX 8350 CPU that I bought two years ago new was in fact an Engineering Sample CPU. After research on the net, I am confused ab

Several months ago, in Intel communities, I found some a similar case, in which a guy spent a lot on two XEON processors to build up his workstation/server running Linux. Just because there were few tools under Linux tell a processor is retail or ES one, so he kept them two working for more than a whole year! That time, I suggested to contact with his direct vendor to make a mediation. His case is quite special that the two ES processors that guy got are very rare, some a company responded to this one as an almost retail tray rather than delivering to ES channel. The Intel crews asked him to contact with Intel support by private. So I had no ideas that what he did finally.

Selling an ES processor towards end user did really break the confidential agreement, and that is an illegal behaviour. All ES processors should not be disclosed without permission from the manufacturers such as Intel, AMD and all others. All ES processors are out of support from Intel and AMD, they are designed and manufactured only with the purpose for evaluation rather than actually use! There are many undisclosed differences between ES and retail ones. As to the situation about your case, I suggest you contact with your direct vendor, who sold it to you! Ask them to give refund. As to the refund, whether you could get 100% money you gave, I have no ideas! In my own opinion, you should use your local law and ES processor confidential agreement to guard your benefits, and fight to get back the honour of AMD too!

I just wish you good luck!

0 Kudos
deadinthewater507
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Ok, so I'm trying to find my way throught this new found problem I have. During a recent benchmark test I found that the AMD FX 8350 CPU that I bought two years ago new was in fact an Engineering Sample CPU. After research on the net, I am confused ab

Thank you for your reply. One last question. How valid is the benchmarking programs information telling me it is an ES model? Is there a more valid way to be sure of the CPUs status?

0 Kudos
janagewen
Challenger
Challenger

Well, you can use CPUID CPU-Z, AIDA64, HWINFO32/64 etc. to get such information as references. But I think you'd better hear the words from more and more people...

0 Kudos
goodplay
Esteemed Contributor III

tomshardware.com/answers/id-3365370/oem-engineering-sample.html

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT,
0 Kudos