cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

pokester
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: nVidia RTX 2060 has Vega 64 performance for $350; Sapphire tips AMD's hand that Navi is NOT imminent

I would have been fine with an 8gb variant that's cheaper. That may yet come in a Vega 56 refresh?

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: nVidia RTX 2060 has Vega 64 performance for $350; Sapphire tips AMD's hand that Navi is NOT imminent

My RX 470 hsd 2048 stream processors,. which is a lot more than my old HD 7870

Its also 4th gen GCN vs 1st gen

so I expect some performance gains

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Looks like Vega II is actually imminent, but it's priced out of the realm of reason.

AMD Announces Vega II for February 7th: $699, ~30% performance improvement vs Vega 64

ajlueke
Exemplar
Exemplar

It is a strange launch to be sure, and sort of a strange card.  The Vega VII is launching as a single model, with 60 compute units and stream processors to match, exactly in-between the Vega 56 and Vega 64.  So there will only be a Vega VII 60, as opposed to two separate versions. 

It is interesting that AMD priced it exactly at the RTX 2080 price point.  While the performance will likely be similar (above in Vulkan, similar or below in DX11), it doesn't do ray-tracing so it seems like you actually get more for your money with an RTX 2080.  However, the Vega VII has 16 GB for video memory at a much higher bandwidth, double the VRAM of the RTX 2080 in fact.  It actually has 2/3 of the VRAM and performance of a Titan RTX, at just over 1/4 the cost.  That could make this the go to card of content creators home systems as well as useful for data scientists.

So AMD might find itself in a situation once again where an audience beyond gamers will be picking up the card, making it difficult for gamers to pick one up.

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Exemplar
Exemplar

"The new 1070, the 2070 is yet to be announced".  Yet to be announced?  You can buy one...right now.

pastedImage_0.png

In reality, NVidia shifted all their models numbers down one this generation, to make it look like there was a bigger performance improvement this generation than their was.  Basically, they are all slightly faster rehashes of the 1000 series with tensor cores added for ray tracing.

The RTX 2060 is essentially the new GTX 1070, while the 2070 replaces the 1080, the 2080 replaces the 1080 Ti, all at approximately the same price point even.  The 2080 Ti then, is a new level of performance that had no analogous card in the 1000 series, and they priced it to match that.  The new GTX 1060 then, will be the RTX 2050, if their is such a thing.

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Exemplar
Exemplar

I doubt it.  Vega VII is effectively a Vega VII 60.  It has less stream processors and compute units than the Vega 64, but more than the Vega 56.  In fact, it is exactly between the two.  I doubt they would make a variant with only 4 more compute units or 4 less.

The 30% speed bump is in line with expectations, as I said above.  That was exactly what we got with the die shrink from Fury X to Vega 64.  Both Fury X and Vega had 64 compute units though, and an equal number of stream processors, it is a little surprising to see it pared down a bit in Vega VII

ajlueke
Exemplar
Exemplar

It is nice that they dropped the horrendous air cooler from Vega 64 air.  While not as nice as Fury X or Vega 64 Liquid, a decent three fan cooler is a welcome upgrade.

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Still, at $700, you can get a RTX 2080 for that price. I know they're targeting Vega II at content creators, but it's way out of line as far as price goes compared to the original Vega 64 at $400, 75% higher for a realistic 30% performance improvement. Now if it were priced at $400 then yes, but at $700 it shouldn't shift a single unit...

0 Kudos
ajlueke
Exemplar
Exemplar

I think the original Vega 64 launch MSRP was $499?  But it is a $200 increase.  The problem is, AMD isn't challenging the NVidia price structure.  NVidia set the $500 price point for the GTX 1080 and $350 for the 1070, while the GTX 1080 Ti occupied the $700 price point.  It has since put the RTX 2070 and 2060 and RTX 2080 at those same price points, while creating a entirely new price point with the 2080 Ti.

AMD then is just putting their GPUs relative to the NVidia price structure.  AMD never had a GPu that performed at the 1080 Ti/RTX 2080 level before, and now they do, so they are pricing it accordingly.  While the Vega 64 performs between the RTX 2060 and 2070, so it is also priced in that range.  I don't think much will change until the Navi launch, provided it really does deliver RTX 2070 performance for $250.  But with the pricing of Vega VII you have to think that Navi either doesn't perform that well, or it is still more the 2quarters away.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

at $699 I believe that is a bit overpriced

Vega 64 cards are still hard to find due to digital coin hogs

0 Kudos