cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

foxfender
Journeyman III

Re: New PC build for Avid Media Composer?

Ok but my question is do you manage to playback and edit 4K/8K AMA linked media directly smoothly and flawlessly WITHOUT transcoding or is it sluggish and you need to transcode your footage (to DNxHR for exemple) first? 

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I use a lot of SSD storage and I have 32GB of RAM so I can edit 4K and 8K easily

my R5 3600 is not the fastest but Avid is still able to take shots from cameras and compose scenes and acts etc

on my rig I do not see any sluggishness other than the time it takes to write out the scenes which are assembled from shots, that is unavoidable

0 Likes
foxfender
Journeyman III

Ok, but please, could you please answer more specifically my question: do you directly playback and edit 4K/8K AMA LINKED files or do you TRANSCODE them before editing?

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

foxfender wrote:

Ok, but please, could you please answer more specifically my question: do you directly playback and edit 4K/8K AMA LINKED files or do you TRANSCODE them before editing?

I edit uncompressed completely and transcode anything, not until the work is done

I can play uncompressed video as my SSDs are plenty fast enough. Hard disks do not have enough bandwidth.

So yes I play directly from the SSDs

0 Likes
foxfender
Journeyman III

All right, thank you for your answers indeed

Téléchargez Outlook pour iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

0 Likes