cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

min_dles
Journeyman III

Need help on this cache memory: error

Revision read event win32_ cache memory class. Possible error? errorcurrenttype=6

0 Likes
16 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

could be either faulty RAM, faulty SSD/HDD or unstable RAM OC or unstable CPU OC

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Hi, benman2785

Yes, the error may be a faulty or unstable hardware (RAM, SSD-HHD disk, CPU), the computer may have other files that are damaged. You could find it by looking at the registry tree to see if only the registry hives or other files are damaged by disk writing.

I do not know this error could be affecting other system memories even the microprocessor. I have contacted the Windows service, the solution they give me from there is to reinstall the operating system, contact the manufacturer's OEM. I've been wondering what I could update the firmware of a device.

As you told me this error could be affecting both the RAM, HDD, CPU. How can you know exactly where the error is? I would need help to find the registry tree, at first, I can't think of anything else.

Also I do not find any serious symptoms in the system, I am not very trained to find this type of error.

0 Likes

1. use RAM as DDR4-2133 CL AUTO
if PC works fine than its a faulty RAM OC (XMP is also OC) OR a faulty memory-controller in CPU

2. add a working ssd with files to your system - copy files to the same sdd - check hash afterwards // test this with your ssd/hdd
this checks if HDD/SDD is faulty

3. revert OC of CPU to default stock settings in BIOS
checks if CPU OC is unstable

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Hello benman2785 ....

As I am investigating with the instruction memcache errorcorrcttype = 6. But I do not know if it is an error from the manufacturer AMD, since the computer equipment that I have is from this AMD brand, with E1-7010 microprocessor, DDR · 4Gb RAM memory. He never opened the computer to see inside his circuit. If it were the error in the DDR3 RAM. (according to Raedon software AMD the memory size is 512 Mb, DDR3 4Gb). I could run a test on the RAM.

1. Affects L1 / L2 cache

2.Size 128/1024

3.Error 6/6

Error code 6

1.Memcache read failure

2.Hash FNV1A 32. 32 Bits ?. The computer system is 64 bits not 32 bits.

3.Memcache cache lookups

If this error is affecting the hash functions, some or some files may be damaged, if this were the case the values ​​could be changed, if the RAM memory were changed the files cannot be repaired.

After knowing a little more about this error and discarding it. In the RAM memory I have to find faulty instructions on the hard disk and the CPU.

0 Likes

looks like you did a 32-bit test on a 64-bit system - this can lead to errors

get a 64bit version of your test and try again

0 Likes

Hi,

Could be more serious. After a while I have not been able to answer my question. I'm only going to leave the repair for when I have time, although I will have to be careful when I have to use the computer due to the error (...). I was looking for ram memory to change it finding a new ram memory but this could not be fixed, it could have damaged any hardware, software of the system.

According to the cache memory, it is used to store the names of the results of the searches visited in the DNS, processing it locally, searching in cache for answers before sending them to the servers. So it could be attacked by poisoning the DNS directed to the cache memory, had all the received data altered or even worse be receiving fraudulent data, getting to receive malware everywhere.

0 Likes

Try disconnecting the SSD/HDD(s) boot up Memtest64 off a CD/DVD or USB. MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool That is the official site, it is an X64 program as of version 5. I bought the "Deluxe" for like $7,lifetime license or grab the free. Run it for at least 8 hours or overnight to check CPU cache and RAM. The CPU memory gets tested in the first part of the test run, so if that fails it will let you know. Then it moves on to the RAM, bit by bit. 4GB shouldn't take very long to get to 100% but go beyond that. Just let it run for 8 hours, 1000% coverage. That will confirm there's zero wrong with the RAM or you'll have an error. 

Also what type of PC is this? A server? Even that would store DNS names on the SSD/HDD within the OS. RAM means "Random Access Memory", so it's read/write, not permanent like ROM "Read Only Memory". The "cache" is on the CPU and is similar to RAM in that it stores nothing permanently. So the above test will show any errors, hardware failure be it CPU cache memory or RAM. That's why it's best to disconnect the OS drive while testing. "DNS" poisoning is something that can happen to the router or the OS in some bizarre cases. In fact "DNS" means "Domain Name Server", it's primarily for internet access from the network device like the Ethernet card or WiFi chip. This "cache" you're actually referencing is the "browser cache" for your internet browser(Edge, Chrome, etc.), nothing hardware related.  I think someone may be confusing you on what memory cache is on the CPU. 

If the test is fine, open file explorer (folder icon on taskbar), right click drive C or the main drive, then "properties", "tools", "check for errors". If it can't repair the issue, back up all important files like "documents", "favorites", "downloads", anything you want to keep onto another drive (USB, backup hard drive, etc.), then try using the "Reset this PC" from "settings", "update and security". Alternatively, do the same backup and simply reinstall Windows. I would run a virus scan on the entire backup drive before putting any data from it back on the PC. Windows Defender is excellent for this. Top rated in 2020 and is built into Windows 10. 3rd party virus scan programs like Avast and whatnot are ok, but Windows has vastly improved it's capabilities.

If you are running other than Windows 10, like "Server 2016" or something the backup of data still applies. Your reinstall maybe different but not so much so that the default Windows virus/malware scan cannot be done. Reinstallation of the OS will fix any software issues like a virus, unless you got a ransomware pop up screen, then you need a new SSD/HDD and forget the data. 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

browser cache IS NOT CPU cache...

0 Likes

That is what I said. CPU cache is not browser cache and neither have a thing to do with DNS.

0 Likes

Previously I was going to carry out the test with the software that you recommend, also change the ram memory, but according to the error may be in the CPU, this being even worse, due to the import of this.

I found the error from the interface that win32 offers, with which it shows a cache memory debugging. From here the operating system hosted on the computer manages the devices, the software, the hardware.

Now if the cache memory stores volatile data while the computer is not turned off, restart will continue storing any type of data not only received by the DNS if you browse the internet also from the operating system.

When I referred to the DNS it only indicated that it could be receiving correct data from the DNS but when going through the CPU or the cache memory of the computer equipment if I keep the error in the cache memory of the CPU these can be read erroneously.

Something similar can happen on a USB memory, when the error "the files cannot be opened" appears.

0 Likes

Volatile data is not stored on the CPU after a reboot, not possible. USB drives are read/write media much like a hard drive, both can hold non-volatile data and volatile data. Volatile data being extending memory by using a USB stick as RAM, or as in a hard disk/SSD using some space for the page file. The paging file usually will hold over a reboot unless set to clear, however it's not stored on the CPU. 

I'm asking you to run Memtest86/64, which I provided a link prior to because it works without a hard drive and excludes the OS entirely in order to test hardware only. It tests the CPU's cache memory as well as the system RAM. Then if you have an error, it's entirely within the OS or a possible defective storage media be it a hard disk or SSD. A hard disk (spin type) has a cache as well that can go bad. There's separate programs available to test hard drives. Usually the maker of the hard drive has software available on their site to test the S.M.A.R.T. function, look for bad blocks, etc. Windows uses "check disk" and "system file checker", both are ok but testing hardware outside of Windows is more accurate. 

How can one rely on the OS to diagnose an issue if the OS is broken or infected by malware itself? Keep in mind all of this falls outside the scope of this forum. This is for AMD issues and now we're getting into software and hardware not relating to AMD.

If you check your RAM/CPU via Memtest and they are ok, test the hard drive or SSD for problems using vendor specific software or a 3rd party one, they are many. Final option is to backup any files, not programs, you wish to save onto some media and reinstall Windows. I would scan any saved files with Windows Defender prior to placing them back on the restored machine.

I just rule out, make this mistake in a forum other than this, in addition to unhurriedly debating a topic that could interest others to exchange opinions and points of view.

0 Likes

To be clear, the information you reference is in relation to a cache error not on the CPU. Things like the DNS, IP, browsing history are all stored on the hard drive/SSD within any given OS. Your motherboard doesn't even store such things unless you have some NSA type virus or "bootkit"/"rootkit", which could happen but unlikely as those attacks usually require "hands on" access to install it. 

There's nothing to debate, it's a simple question of can the CPU cause this cache error. Possibly, which is why I said to run those tests to exclude the OS from the mix. It tests the main 2 items that could cause such an error fairly quick. If you use a standard hard disk, that also can cause this type of error if it has a problem. 

I felt I covered you concerns thoroughly and didn't desire to make you feel "hurried". I'm sorry if that's the impression you got. Here we all deal with numerous issues relating to specifically AMD products. Some of us have software knowledge and will delve deep, as I think I have done to solve a non-AMD specific issue it appears as this appears to be.

This is far from the only forum for answers. If you have questions outside the scope of AMD or within and not getting the answer a good forum is: Level One Techs | (level1techs.com) . They have a great forum with every tech topic under the sun for every product you can think of. One of us will always answer any post you make regardless. 

0 Likes

Just to point out the previous post, the chipset is where the transfers of all the devices pass from CPU, ram memory, HDD ..., each of these devices store different data that are exchanged in the bridges, all this is in the motherboard and then be sent by output / input. It is related to the hardware, the problem I have is an AMD computer.

0 Likes

Not to "toot my own horn" but I have over 20 years experience in sales/repair of PC's, my own business, mostly AMD units. I have the same amount of experience in electronic diagnosis of some of the most advanced circuitry anyone would deal with as an A tech in the automotive field. There's fuel systems, brake systems, climate control systems, suspension systems, transmission systems, autonomous systems, etc.  and all of them have a BUS. Some have connected Bus I/O's some are on their own. Hence I completely understand the "flow" of data.

That said, the OS supplies this data to the very objects you mention. The error you described did not directly reference the CPU, like a code 18,19,41 might. The data that is transient ( the page your on, keystrokes, voice activation, the "stream") is temporarily(microseconds) stored in the RAM after is passes through the CPU cache, and various "BUS's" to what you see on the screen or to your HDD/SSD to be put in the proper place as the OS dictates. The "chipset" is the PCH, MCH, or SPI, the main "hub" or "switch" where all of the hard parts communicate through. Nothing you've said has pointed to a problem with that motherboard component usually located on the south or northbridge, but not on the CPU.

In fact if that were bad, you would have a very serious problem, like no boot, no keyboard, no mouse, no USB, no internet, smell of something burning, etc. If that were hacked by the "NSA" or the "Italian Group", you would most likely never know or it would boot an OS under your OS, send out malicious packets, communicate with a C&C. All that you would need to do a packet inspection using a service like "Wire Shark". A problem that huge is very, very rare, nearly all of which is attacks against governments, schools, famous people, "hard targets". One needs "hands on" access to program the chip via some kind of serial programming device. In any case, if that was/is your issue, there's nothing anyone can do but replace said system in whole, including all peripherals. 

Your "input" like the keyboard travels into the motherboard to the CPU, RAM, GPU, you get my idea, it's "input", over these "bridges", the "PCH" and either get displayed on the screen or stored on the HDD/SSD in the %temp% folder, some other file. The "output" is what displays on the screen, in a text file, a sound, or an action. To show how little is stored, slam the power off and what happens? You get an error that the system was improperly shutdown but whatever was on the screen prior or open is closed and gone that wasn't saved to disk before the power loss.

Things like you mentioned before the "DNS" is what either your ISP gives you or service you use like "Quad9", "CloudFlare", "GoogleDNS" to access the world wide web. Unless your a business or pay extra, your inbound DNS come from the ISP and the outbound DNS is the ISP's default or one of those type of services I mentioned. Your actual IP comes from your ISP, your router converts that to an anonymous, public facing IP. Your MAC address is bound to your motherboard's Ethernet/WiFi controller, whether onboard or card and is permanent. So like you had mentioned "DNS poisoning", would really be "spoofing" which routes web traffic to known fake sites that look genuine. The "ARP" can be poisoned, it's rare and your router probably blocks it or your "hosts" file is updated enough to prevent that.

So what I'm failing to understand is how you having an AMD based computer is the "problem". You have given one code relating to a memory type failure that could be anything from the HDD/SSD, RAM, CPU, or OS. You must do some work to narrow that part down some. It starts by running seemingly useless tests that are tedious and there are no shortcuts per se. 

As I've now covered all including the most far edged subjects, can you point to one of those things and definitively tell me what hardware is at fault? Remember all of this data that passes to/through the motherboard comes in (input) from 4 main sources, the keyboard, mouse , HDD/SSD or received over the internet/phone if it's setup that way. Then it transfers through the "chipset(s)" to these other "output" locations mentioned earlier. If data packets are getting dropped by a component it should give an error. From that point is where troubleshooting can begin. One thing I learned from my early years with onboard diagnostics and codes in cars that traverses directly to PC's is that the "code" or "error" does not necessarily mean that specific part is at fault. It's an indicator but many other things can cause the exact error. Ok, so an hour plus typing this out, hopefully it helps. 

0 Likes

@min_dles 
you are talking nonsense - the whole time...

just check your RAM with Memtest and give us the results

has nothing to do with AMD or Intel

also highly unlikely that it has something to do with the Chipset

and you have a VERY FLAWED VIEW on how PCs work...