cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

wexy123
Adept I

My pc keeps shutting down while playing games

Hi. I have a question that someone might be able to answer me.

I got a new video card and after using it for a couple of hours problems happened while I was playing games. So basicly when I start exact games (for example Rocket League, Hell Let Loose, SWBF2) after a couple of minutes of play my pc keeps shutting down (like when the power is gone) and reboot immediately. This never happened with my old card so I'm guessing everything is fine with my rig. Obviously I have the latest drivers, I tried reinstalling windows, cooling is not an issue because my GPUs max temp is around ~65C everytime and the CPU and the motherboard is max ~50-60C also my PSU is using around 120-130W max, cables are not touching any compontent in the pc's case, I tried stress tests both on the CPU and GPU and everything was perfect I got no shut downs, I tried reconfigure voltages in Radeon Software but the problem still occurs. I somehow figured out if I play on windowed mode or medium settings it solves the problem for a while. It's really annoying so I accept any possible solution. Thanks!

My Specs are:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 4gb DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: MSI Radeon Rx 480 8Gb GDDR5 265bit (used to have some Amd 3000 series 2Gb I'm not sure which lol)
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz
PSU: Chieftec iArena 600W
HDD: Western Digital 1TB
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper H412R

0 Likes
1 Solution

download and run OCCT PSU Test and see if your PC shuts down.

While running the PSU Test keep an eye on your PSU outputs of 12/5.0/3.3 Vdc. They all should be within 5% -/+ tolerance.

For instance -5% of 12 Vdc is 11.4 Vdc. So your 12 Vdc should not go below 11.4 while being tested.

Also keep an eye on both the GPU and CPU temperatures and Fan speeds.

What was the Make & Model of your previous GPU card that you said works fine in your PC.

Also post an image of GPU-Z  to make sure your AMD Driver is correctly installed and to verify your new GPU card is authentic and not a fake.

NOTE: According to MSI Support you need  a minimum PSU of 500 Watts so your PSU is more than enough to run your GPU card in your PC. But it could be defective and not giving out proper PSU voltages under heavy loads.

From what I have read about the reviews on your Chieftec PSU is an inexpensive (cheap) PSU so it is possible under load it is not providing the proper voltages to run your GPU card or PC as a whole while under heavy loads like gaming. just guessing though.

View solution in original post

10 Replies