cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

peterq94
Adept III

Motherboards B450 vs B550 (Asus vs Gigabyte)

Dear Community,

What motherboard is better (VRM, features, cooling, stability):

1) Asus TUF B450-PRO GAMING - in my country 479 PLN

2) Gigabyte B550M DS3H - in my country 449 PLN

3) Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro - in my country 569 PLN

Another option is Gigabyte B450M DS3H or ASUS B450M-A and these are the cheapest - 319 PLN and 329 PLN but my shop don't have Gigabyte B450M DS3H in stock now. I heard that B450M-A have weak VRM.

I want to buy Ryzen 3 3100. My previous PC had budget motherboard Asus PRIME P5KPL-AM-SE and I was happy. I like high quality sound but if my previous PC with budget motherboard was OK so I should buy better motherboard? For Ryzen 3 3100 what is the best choice? Maybe in the future I will change CPU to Ryzen 4xxx - 6 or 8 core but I said maybe.

P.S. I have also question to BIOS fimware. I know that Asus have good BIOS from AMI. I don't know anything about Gigabyte bios. They also use AMI firmware? Can you tell me?

6 Replies

If your are going to go to a 4xxx series eventually you would be best to just get a B550 board at this point. Yes some B450 boards have weaker VRMs and some have great VRMs like the MSI Tomahawk Max for instance. 

I heard that AMD will not officialy support B450 BIOS for 4xxx series but unofficialy I heard that some boards will be have beta BIOS for 4xxx series. If I will go for Asus TUF B450-PRO GAMING that board have good VRM but I don't know if it better VRM than in cheapest B550 motherboards. Someone maybe know more about it and can write here? Asus of course have better audio chip than Gigabyte B550 motherboard so I don't know if it Gigabyte is better for me? Do you know what BIOS Gigabyte have? This is AMI BIOS like on the Asus one?

0 Likes

Now in my shop I can get:

1) Asus TUF B450-PRO GAMING - in my country 459 PLN

2) Asus PRIME B550M-A - in my country 459 PLN

3) Gigabyte B550M DS3H - in my country 429 PLN

4) Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro - in my country 569 PLN

5) ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 - in my country 579 PLN

Some boards have better AUDIO codec. I think that Asus B450 PRO GAMING have better VRM than PRIME B550M-A? Gigabyte B550M DS3H have better VRM than PRIME B550M-A but I heard that GIGABYTE have buggy BIOS. I watched video with Gigabyte B450M DS3H on YouTube and user bricked ROM on this motherboard because Gigabyte had broken BIOS files on their website. I think that is not good so I am little scary with Gigabyte. They also have Dual BIOS feature on some motherboards so I don't know if it is better that one BIOS? I heard that ASRock have not the best service and they have only 2 years warranty. What I should buy? I wanted go to the A520 chipset but motherboards not available yet in my country :/

0 Likes

I can't tell you what to buy. I agree that other things like the audio quality are big considerations if you will actually use them. If you are going to use audio from HDMI or Display Port then MB audio does not matter.

I was once a huge Gigabyte Fan. In the past 4-5 years in my personal opinion they have let user down in many ways with well known bios issues as well as big issue with memory compatibility or even all slots working. 

Asus has good boards and bad boards and it is often not price that dictates which is which. 

MSi has been a recent favorite but they did have a couple bad 570 boards followed by some good replacements. 

In B450 boards I think the Tomahawk series are the best bang for the buck quality boards. I think Asrock makes good boards. Especially for the price. I don't hear many complaints about them in general. 

The b550 tomahawk is more costly than last gen and honestly the real successor to the 450 board looks to be the MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus. If I was in the market for a board right now, that is likely what I would buy. 

peterq94
Adept III

Now A520 chipset motherboards are available. What do you think it is a better option to go for A520 than B450. We don't know if B450 will be support Ryzen 4000 series processor. Now I want to buy Ryzen 3 3100 but later I will be switch to Ryzen 5 4600 but I don't know it VRM of these motherboards are good for 6 cores:

- ASUS TUF GAMING A520M-PLUS (389 PLN in my country),
- MSI MAG A520M VECTOR WIFI (369 PLN in my country)

I prefer Asus because my previous motherboards works great (10 years of work) but this was low budget motherboard - Asus P5KPL-AM-SE (this was nice board for Intel CPU and I had Core 2 Quad Q8200).

What do you think? This is better to go for A520 or B450? Beta BIOSES on B450 chipset can be buggy or not updated often and possible issues like on MSI B450 without "MAX" words.

0 Likes

Well I have a Tomahawk and a Tomahawk max the only difference is the later has more bios space. They both perform exactly the same and both have been great boards. Me personally if you could find one of those new I would take on of them over an A520 in a heart beat. Honestly I truly believe they are the very best B450 boards that anyone made and a lot of reviewers agree. Definitely good VRM quality. 

I am just not a fan of those bottom tier boards. The only positive is that it will likely get the bios update without hassle that will support Zen 3. The way I look at it though, is none of these boards will support Zen 4. It is very possible the socket will change but even if that stays the same the new boards by then will be DDR5 so still needing a new board. 

So since you talked about wanting to move to Zen 4 then the newer board might or might not be a safer bet and yes the chances of bios maturity for Zen 3 will be much higher on a newer platform in general especially with B550 and 570. However historically that has not been the case on the budget boards. A320 boards didn't get by comparison get the updates and also didn't run the future processors well. These are budget boards with lesser quality parts. That is why they are cheap. So yah maybe that A320 supports Zen 3 but that doesn't mean it will run an 8 or even that 4600 you look forward to well. This is why I never think budget board are something you buy with the intention of expanding later. If all you want to do is what it did day one then by all means go for it. 

Even with B450 boards many of them would not run 8 or more core Zen2 without some serious heat on the VRM's. MSi Tomahawk board however are exceptional her.

I would not do what you are talking about doing. If it were me I would get the b450 board if you can. Get a 3700x and don't worry about moving to Zen3. That chip is easily going to last for another year and a half and honestly probably more like 4 years of viability. So why spend more money to make 2 moves that in the end likely will still be slower than if you just did this now.

Then plan for that Zen 4 with likely PCIe 5 and DDR5 support that will really be a worthwhile upgrade in a couple years.

My B450 board has excellent OC control. I can run my at speeds that I believe will be competitive with what stock Zen 3 will bring to the table, of course that is a guess. Unless AMD really makes a huge leap in performance and surprises the world once again. Bottom line is that B450 paired with an 8 core Zen2 still has a lot of mileage left in the tank and I would not be scared of going that route if you so choose. 

Right now MSI 450 Tom Max  $115, and 3700x $274 = $389.00

Your plan  Ryzen 3100. $115.00 + a520 Board $80 buck minimum. Add in a 4600 likely at the $250 price point. And you now spent $445 and still have a low end board and you have lived with much lesser performance do to MB choice alone, plus the much slower processor, to ultimately end up with a slower processor.

To me that makes no sense. Obviously if all you have to spend today is $205 then you gotta do what you gotta do. Just know also that processor is frankly too week to properly push the graphics cards now releasing and coming in near months. I think you will ultimately have a lot of buyers remorse. 

On the last not it is very possible to that the B450 will end up running a Zen 3 chip just fine. And in the end maybe even up to a 12 core model. So in a couple years if that pans out you could have a really great upgrade path and that B450 would have served you incredibly well. 

For those of us who bought them over a year ago they already have. 

0 Likes