cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

sacco
Adept I

Migrate to Ryzen platform hardware without reinstalling windows 10?

Did anyone do that? If so how?

I'm not really so happy to reinstall windows, I run a music studio and reinstalling everything will be a big PITA.

Should I install some drivers in windows before swapping the hardware?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Migrate to Ryzen platform hardware without reinstalling windows 10?

No, no and NO !

You absolutely MUST do a fresh install of the OS (not an image reload) and then install Windows Updates followed by the motherboard chipset drivers.

janagewen
Challenger

Hello sacco,

Put existed Windows 10 Installation on other computers might not always work, but trying is the only way to prove it! So I would love to give you some suggestions.

1. Using backup tools such as OO DiskImage to back up the entire disk onto disk images on your USB HDD, in event your trying is a failure, you can bring it back.

2. What kind of platform you are using, Intel or AMD? You can search the internet to find solutions how to turn off AHCI and enable legacy IDE mode for your Windows 10, and then entering into firmware, and set the HDD mode to legacy mode. Reboot your system again, make sure it could work!

3. Remove that HDD from your computer and place it to the Ryzen based machine. Turn on that Ryzen based machine, and entering into the firmware, set the HDD mode as the legacy mode, and restart your computers. If the Windows 10 could work on this machine, you'd better first update all the drivers, before reinstalling AHCI mode for your Windows 10.

4. Entering into the firmware again, set the HDD mode to AHCI, and restart your computer. If you are lucky enough, your computer is ready to work; or else, you have to make a clean and refresh installation of Windows 10 on your Ryzen based computer.

I wish you good luck!

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
goodplay
MVP

Win10 ISO install.

They are updated to the latest build, there's a Tut. on tenforums.com/

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850.
sacco
Adept I

Thanks!

This drive went through 3 Intel machines (first i7 then a rented i5 then i7) no problems whatsoever.

But since I'm jumping to AMD I was wondering if I could for example boot it in safe mode and install the drivers from there.

Is there any way to boot into safe mode after POST? any trick, since W10 doesn't have F8 for that since Win7

I'm gonna try my best if it doesn't go smoothly....I REALLY don't wanna reinstall my gazillion software packages. Phewww! no thanks!

ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let me repeat. You MUST reinstall the OS from scratch if your setting up a new Ryzen system. Unfortunately there are no shortcuts to bypass this requirement.

janagewen
Challenger

Reinstalling or make a clean installation from Windows 10 installation media is the best solution, like ray_m provided!

0 Kudos
sacco
Adept I

HAHA!

Wrong! I'm already in, no reinstall required.

Windows 10 graciously booted into repair mode, attempted but failed, then I went to safe mode and it installed the required drivers automatically.

So there you go fellas. You don't need to reinstall windows.

Muahahahah!!!

0 Kudos
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good luck ! Our experience has been that without a clean install you will encounter issues sooner rather than later.

0 Kudos
sacco
Adept I

Mmmmm.. not here.

This has been one of the smoothest transitions I ever made.

I made a boot disk, also a new copy of the ISO, backed up my data etc... and didn't have to use any of these.

Since Win8 I noticed MS is very good in this regard, you simply swap the hardware and all goes smooth.

Since my copy of Win10 is linked to my account it remained activated. No other software asked me to reactivation either.

0 Kudos