cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Microsoft to start nagging users in April about the January 2020 Windows 7 end-of-support deadline

Starting next month, Microsoft will start displaying periodic pop-up notifications reminding Windows 7 users that support for that OS is ending early next year. Happily, you'll be able to shut them off.

Mary Jo Foley

By Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft | March 12, 2019 -- 16:01 GMT (09:01 PDT)

Just like it did when Windows XP support was ending back in 2014, Microsoft is readying pop-up notification screens that it will start showing to users still running Windows 7. Beginning some time in April 2019, Microsoft will start reminding users that the company will no longer provide free support for Windows 7 after January 14, 2020. 

Microsoft's March 12 blog post about the coming "courtesy reminder" about Windows 7's end of support notes that users will see the notification "a handful of times in 2019." The notifications will include a user-selectable checkbox for "do not notify me again," enabling them not to see any future reminders. Just closing the pop-up using the X in the right corner won't prevent users from getting more of these notifications, however.

There's no screen shot of what the coming Windows 7 end-of-support pop-up will look like. But from Microsoft's blog post, it sounds like it will be informational and include a link to Microsoft's www.microsoft.com/windows7 page. That page includes information on how to transfer data from a current Windows 7 PC to a newer device; how to backup personal data; tips on how to use Windows 10; and more. 

With Windows XP, Microsoft's notifications for end of life included a "Click here to learn more" link and a "Don't show this message again" box.

My guess is Microsoft is alerting users about the coming pop-up several weeks early so they're not surprised -- or worried that the coming pop-ups are malware -- once they start appearing in April.

On January 14, 2020 -- Microsoft's support for Windows 7 will cease. That means no more updates or fixes, including security fixes after that date, which is the first Patch Tuesday of 2020, unless a customer pays. Microsoft officials have announced two ways that Windows 7 users can continue to get security updates beyond the January 14, 2020 date. But both of these ways -- purchasing paid Extended Support Updates and buying Windows Virtual Desktop (which includes Extended Support Updates for no additional fee) are designed for business customers, not consumers.

37 Replies

windows 10 is free, do not understand what the resistance is all about

0 Likes

hardcoregames™ wrote:

windows 10 is free, do not understand what the resistance is all about

That is still true about Windows 10 being free. All you need to do is input a previous Official Windows 7 or 8 Serial Number during installation or after and it will automatically upgrade and activate Windows 10.

But many Users either don't trust or they believe Windows 10 is worse than Windows 7, thus the resistance.

Some people don't like "Change" and try at all cost to keep the Status Quo.

I imagine with some Users, noobies or those not technically minded, are afraid to upgrade and not have a stable PC.

I guess "Fear of the Unknown" is a good expression with some Users.

I installed windows 10 clean on a new SSD on a CPU and new motherboard and it activated without a key. I used my microsoft account and it activated for me.

In the past, I know if you made some major hardware changes and reinstalled Windows or not, it wouldn't be activated until you contacted Microsoft to explain that you are the original owner.

But now, With Windows 10, Microsoft has a "Digital" license in your account that will activate Windows each time you install it automatically.

Glad to hear that with your major Hardware changes it still got activated. I believe with the "Digital" license it seems to have overridden that requirement to contact Microsoft after a major hardware change. It still might be in affect but I guess it depends on certain factors.

Now, if Windows 10 for some reason doesn't get activated, you can use the Activation Troubleshooter in Windows Settings or input the Generic Windows 10 serial number or use the previous Windows OS serial number you used to upgrade to Windows 10 to try and re-activate your Windows automatically. The serial number that was used to upgrade to Windows 10 has a digital license to it. 

So in that respect, Microsoft finally did something to make Windows easier for Users (-: .

0 Likes

I have lots of retail windows 7 and 8 keys at the ready if needed

0 Likes

Save them, they can be used to upgrade to future Windows 10 for free, as long as they haven't been used for that purpose in the past. 

I read at a website that said you can still upgrade from Windows 10 home to Pro, for instance, by just inputting a previous Windows OS (7 or 8) in Windows Settings - Activation.

Yesterday, I found my original Retail Windows 7 Ultra installation disk with it serial number and used it to upgrade my wife's Windows 10 home version to Pro version ($100.00 value).

The first time I did it, it mentioned the Microsoft Activation servers were not available. Two days later, I tried again, and this time it started to upgrade my wife's Windows home to Pro using my old Windows 7 Ultra serial number.

Unfortunately, the Windows it installed was Enterprise and not Pro. So Microsoft wouldn't activate it since it was the wrong version. So I went back to Windows Settings - Activation and used the Activation Troubleshooter. No dice, wrong Windows installed for license. So I went and inputted the Windows 7 Serial number again while using the Enterprise version. A minute or two later, Windows Enterprise changed to Pro version and activated without any further issues.

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

Save them, they can be used to upgrade to future Windows 10 for free, as long as they haven't been used for that purpose in the past. 

I read at a website that said you can still upgrade from Windows 10 home to Pro, for instance, by just inputting a previous Windows OS (7 or 8) in Windows Settings - Activation.

Yesterday, I found my original Retail Windows 7 Ultra installation disk with it serial number and used it to upgrade my wife's Windows 10 home version to Pro version ($100.00 value).

The first time I did it, it mentioned the Microsoft Activation servers were not available. Two days later, I tried again, and this time it started to upgrade my wife's Windows home to Pro using my old Windows 7 Ultra serial number.

Unfortunately, the Windows it installed was Enterprise and not Pro. So Microsoft wouldn't activate it since it was the wrong version. So I went back to Windows Settings - Activation and used the Activation Troubleshooter. No dice, wrong Windows installed for license. So I went and inputted the Windows 7 Serial number again while using the Enterprise version. A minute or two later, Windows Enterprise changed to Pro version and activated without any further issues.

I have enterprise licenses but i use them on virtual machines on Azure

I use Azure and have been with them from day 1 literally

0 Likes

You can also still put your valid Windows 7 Key in to activate if it doesn't as is.

0 Likes

Windows 10 is not free. Your paying with your personal data. Which can be very expensive.

0 Likes

Can you clarify how Windows 10 using telemetry on Users will be expensive to the User?

you got me curious now.

0 Likes

windows has telemetry for crashes and that has been in windows 2000 and above, now its more sophisticated as microsoft is working to make windows super stable, bugs are stored in a database and it then assigns problems to developers

there is another kind of telemetry for advertising which is used in browsers,that is more concerning

0 Likes

I understand what you are saying, But how does Microsoft Telemetry cause it to be expensive to the User?

I have been using Windows since Windows 98. I haven't seen any particular expenses due to telemetry besides the cost of purchasing each new Windows version editions. 

The telemetry used for advertising is intrusive and I don't care for it. But as long as you don't purchase what is being advertised it won't cost you any money besides the aggravation of having Pop-up ads in Windows.

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

I understand what you are saying, But how does Microsoft Telemetry cause it to be expensive to the User?

I have been using Windows since Windows 98. I haven't seen any particular expenses due to telemetry besides the cost of purchasing each new Windows version editions. 

The telemetry used for advertising is intrusive and I don't care for it. But as long as you don't purchase what is being advertised it won't cost you any money besides the aggravation of having Pop-up ads in Windows.

Windows 10 expanded the Store so this is now making windows an ecosystem like mobile platforms have been for years.

There are a bunch of different forms of telemetry the computers use. If you have a large work place do to the telemetery running constantly is saps system resources and due to this increases electricity costs. The average home user won't notice much. Multiply that by a few hundred computers and you have some real associated tasks. Not to mention you combine the 10% performance drop with the, additional 10% performance drop you get from the spectre and meltdown patch and you have a hefty performance difference too on older hardware.

Google o&o shutup. It's a great free app to disable all the Windows 10 telemetry. When you see the list of things it will disable you will be shocked.

Thanks for the clarification.

I didn't think about the effects of where hundreds of PC in a network would be affected by telemetry.

0 Likes

Are there any harmful affects by manually disabling Microsoft Telemetry?

Another words, Would Windows 10 still have use of all its features or would disabling Telemetry also disable some features in Windows 10?

Going to google that program you mentioned "Shutup" Thanks for the tip.

0 Likes

I have not experienced any but would not want to say no. But fundamentally it is just reporting back. Now there are instances with software that if you disable their telemetry the software doesn't work as they combine the telemetry function in with other functions. geforce experience is a good example of that. Disable the telemetry and it doesn't run. However they tell right when you install it that it won't. MS doesn't tell you about the telemetry nor make it easy to disable through GUI settings. The o&o shutup is great as it is automated and you don't have to worry about making manual errors that could cause problems. Another wonderful app that can disable some telemetry plus a whole bunch of other great tweaks it WinAero tweaker from wineaero_com.

0 Likes

Found this website that show the 9 best programs to disable Microsoft Telemetry including "Shutup": 9 Best Windows 10 Privacy Tools | TechWiser 

Website to download "SHUTUP" O&O ShutUp10 

0 Likes

Yes but they claim the recommended setting don't kill anything needed. I have only used the recommended setting. On my older machines I do see a significant increase in system responsiveness. I also disable error reporting on these older machines.

0 Likes

Okay, ran program and checked only "Recommended" telemetry to be disabled. Need to add it to my Windows 10 Program menu since it mentions that everything could be reverted back after a Windows Update.

0 Likes

I have had a couple settings change after regular updates. About half of them reverted with major upgrades, like from 1803 to 1809 so definitely update o&o and run it again. 

nagware has been a growing problem not exclusively for windows

0 Likes

I agree. I had purchased Quicken 2017, I believe, before it was sold by Intuit (Quicken software). Since the company that now owns Quicken turned it into a Service, now has irritating nagware, since I updated my original Quicken 2017 after Intuit sold it.

When Intuit was still Owner, I had no Nagging Pop-ups to purchase the latest version. After Intuit sold Quicken, I was getting nagging Pop-ups before the program started. No way to turn it off.  Promptly went to Facebook Quicken and wrote a negative comment about the nagging. Seems like most Customers are very upset by Quicken becoming a Service and pay each year the equivalent of a new software to be able to update it. At least, now you can temporarily stop the nagging for a few starts before it shows up again.

So, yes, nagware is becoming a huge irritation to Consumers, especially those programs to convert to a Service where you need to pay each year just to get updates.

Software as a Service (SssS) has become the focus for some corporations who want to level out the income stream.. The payroll cost are the main driver for this type of model.

0 Likes

The point I was making was since the software was sold and became a Service, It started nagging me to updated and purchase the latest version as a Service. Before it became a service and Quicken updated, I had no nagging Pop-ups to alert me to update to the latest version.

This Pop-up came during the Log-in of the program. Originally even if you clicked on "Do not Remind me" it still continued to Pop-up. Later, I guess, after many customer complaints they actually made it work for a temporarily period.

0 Likes

Did I in the slightest of ways indicate that only Windows was doing this?  I only discussed a great free tool to disable much of the telemetry if you so choose. And that I see a performance boost doing so. 

IMHO this is an appalling practice that is infiltrating our lives from many angles. It isn't just pc's or phones either. Expect to see it in all kinds of smart electronics. 

I hope that I never see a day that we can't disable these functions but would bet that is coming too. 

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

I read about an airport in France which is still on WinXP and happy!

.. and at least about one dentist office..

Who cares about support?

0 Likes

very unusual, Wonder how they keep XP from being easily hacked. It is not as secure as newer Windows OSes version are.

0 Likes

Coz it's that old no one is interested in hacking it any more ..

0 Likes

That may be true in certain circumstances, but you are talking about a commercial Airport that may be connected to other major airports via computer network. A hacker can use that XP Airport as a gateway to gain access to more secured major Airports.

That is why I mentioned it is unusual, in that respect. Airport are generally very secured, whether it is a small local Airport or a Major Airport.

A dentist office I can see using XP if their software was made for that OS and it would be costly to upgrade the computer and software. A hacker can't really do much damage except harm the dentist or it employees.

But an Airport using a outdated unsupported Windows is a very big risk factor to itself and its network to other Airports.

Just my opinion after working at a major Airport in Maintenance for over 13 years.

0 Likes

True even with current security updates it still is not a modern secure OS. No amount of updates can fix the fact the kernel isn't up to snuff these days. However if you are a limited internet user, I can see where some get buy with using it. We still have a couple of XP boxes running in our company. One runs a voicemail box, not connected to the internet and the other is hooked to an old label printer that doesn't have drivers for newer versions of Windows and is also not on the network.

0 Likes

noodles59‌ didn't mentioned in what respect the XP Computer was being used in the French Airport. But if it is connected to the French Airport network I would think it is a huge security risk.

0 Likes

This was a few years back but here a similar story *Win3.1* - the French and their organisateur

0 Likes

noodles59 wrote:

I read about an airport in France which is still on WinXP and happy!

.. and at least about one dentist office..

Who cares about support?

I know of many government agencies with the same problem. Sometimes the problem is with some custom software that cannot be modified for new systems.

0 Likes

I know that you know all the technical aspects of a Network. How does the Network prevent a hacker from accessing them from a relatively unsecured computer attached to the Network?  Thru some sort of Network Firewall or does the Network implore a security measure against weak or unsecured computers attached to the network?

I know very little about the ins and outs of how a Network actually works which is why I am asking you.

0 Likes

XP support.  You can find on line a quick registry change to make Windows update think Windows XP is Windows for embedded systems. That version of Windows still actually gets updates and really is Windows XP.

If you don't want end of support notifications on Windows 7, block KB4493132

Microsoft announced earlier this month that it would start to show end of support notifications on devices running the company's Windows 7 operating system.

Windows 7 support ends in January 2020 for consumer versions of the operating system. Enterprise customers may extend support by up to three years for a fee that doubles every year.

The update notifications are informative in nature; they won't include actionable options, e.g. to upgrade the operating system to a version of Windows that is still supported according to Microsoft. Whether that remains so as the support end draws nearer is anyone's guess.

Up until now we did not really know how Microsoft wanted to push these end of support notifications to Windows 7 devices.

Yesterday's release of KB4493132 for Windows 7 changes that. The update is available through Windows Update and will be downloaded and installed on devices that have automatic updates enabled (which is the default status of Windows Update).

If you don't want end of support notifications on Windows 7, block KB4493132 - gHacks Tech News