cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Microsoft is planning to kill off its graphics editing program 'Paint' after 32 years

Microsoft is planning to kill off Paint when Windows 10's Fall Creators Update arrives later this year, The Guardian reports.

The program would be missing from a Windows release for the first time in 32 years, when it was first introduced in 1985's Windows 1.0.

Microsoft will retain Paint 3D, which it introduced with the Windows 10 Creators Update back in April, but the program doesn't share much with the three-decade-plus old Paint everyone knows and loves (or hates).

Paint 3D is designed to work with three-dimensional image making tools, and also allows for some basic 2D editing, but it doesn't look nor behave like the original one.

Paint will join Outlook Express, the Reader app, and Reader list in Windows 10's list of features that will be "removed or deprecated" when the Fall Creators Update comes.

Microsoft is planning to kill off its graphics editing program 'Paint' after 32 years (MSFT)

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Microsoft is planning to kill off its graphics editing program 'Paint' after 32 years

Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: Microsoft is planning to kill off its graphics editing program 'Paint' after 32 years

In my book, that Mona Lisa is 99% the person, and 1% tool used. That was pretty amazing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Especially when you consider the tools being used, if you discount the Undo function, are cruder than work being done by hand. There's no ruler, no paint knife, no controlled sponge to do dab work. I wish I had a fraction of the talent of that guy. Reminds me of watching Bob Ross making something amazing on the canvas in all of 20 minutes, even when he was using nothing but monochrome...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I started looking around at free alternatives to Paint..and the first one I pulled up was :

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

he yea bob ross was amazing painter.....

well loosing paint is just another bad idea from microsoft i guess. i use paint alot, so easy to snip a pic and paste it to paint , pulled right from the clipboard. i suppose it worked to good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Microsoft Paint is 'here to stay' after reports of its demise greatly exaggerated

"MS Paint is here to stay, it will just have a new home soon, in the Windows Store where it will be available for free," the firm said in a blog post.

Microsoft Paint has been a staple of the Windows operating system for 32 years and has been installed with every version since 1985. The tool lets users easily copy and paste, crop and colour images, or simply doodle and create drawings.

The announcement that it is not being killed off was welcomed by some of the 100 million people who, Microsoft says, still use it a month.

I wonder if Microsoft will do the same thing to Paint as they did to other OS staples that were removed to the Windows Store, namely Solitaire and Minesweeper: pay a subscription or see ads.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I looked in the "store" and Paint was not visible...maybe once it's taken out of the "new" "Upgrade" it will be available , but I doubt it. Check the store out....cloud based programs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I wonder if Paint is a stand alone program? It's possible to put, for example, the Windows XP version of Solitaire onto 10 by copying two files, so it should be possible to put the Windows 8.1 or 10 version of Paint back on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

the classic paint will be available in the windows store for those who want or need it

0 Kudos