Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: Lisa Su: RX Vega "No later than July"

colesdav wrote:

But still I think something needs to be done from AMD to address the Vega FE gaming performance seen by Gamers Nexus/ PC Perspectives.
Maybe work with them and let them test early RX Vega driver based improvements in the Vega FE Drivers?

I agree - I haven't looked at GDB info or reversed information on the current drivers yet - but as far as hardware is concerned, it's identical as far as I know, except that the RX-VEGA lists 8GB of HBM2. In theory we should see similar performance unless there's a specific switch in the current drivers on FE that limits the performance. If the FE could display the same gaming output as the RX version, I'd be willing to pay a higher premium on the FE's!

colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Absolutely, very good point.

I think Vega FE needs to have comparable gaming performance to the RX Vega cards, that way the addition of "Radeon-Pro" application could encourage gamers/enthusiasts  to get into that area.

Looking at it from another angle, I would like to be able to buy a high performance overclocked RX Vega for gaming and then pay for the
mixed Radeon-Pro/Gaming Mode VEGA-FE  driver as a separate software purchase to use with my RX Vega gaming card.

If the hardware is essentially the same (maybe the amount of memory will be lower on the gaming cards) then the Vega FE driver should work on the gaming cards fine hopefully.

I have asked this type of question before on the AMD forums, as I noted some of the WX7100s were based on the RX480/580.
I was asking if it was possible to flash the BIOS on an RX480/580 to make it look like a W7100 so I could install the WX7100 driver and have a look at some Radeon-Pro applications without having to pay much more for the WX7100 card.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
foxman150
Adept II
Adept II

I hope it can compete with the GTX 1080ti

whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner
Forerunner

I was one of the folks to request a Fury X comparison as I suspected the outcome et voila. There's definitely a lot of room to bring the FE to RX Vega standards. However, I do suspect driver conflicts when switching between Pro mode and Gaming mode (which I have already encountered). I wish I could delve deeper into this, but my workload for the next few weeks won't allow that - especially since this work revolves around the card pro-usage. I'm actually confident that future drivers will allow for full utilization of FE's.

0 Kudos
colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

I hope you have a good experience with working on your Vega FE cards.  Maybe when you have had more time working with the cards and complete your work you could give some feedback on what you think of the cards in "Radeon-Pro" applications you used?

I just saw this review of the Vega FE in Crossfire this morning :

AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition CrossFire Testing | PC Perspective

Looks like again the Gaming Part of the drivers need serious improvement for this card, it may be just the titles chosen though.
I am seeing some pretty good scaling with a pair of R9 Nano on a number of titles.

Bye.

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

0 Kudos