cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Esteemed Contributor III

Lisa Su: RX Vega "No later than July"

AMD CEO : Gaming RX Vega Launching "Very Soon" After Frontier Edition - Out By July At The Latest

Dr. Lisa Su, President & CEO at AMD

We’re very excited about Vega. Vega is a brand new architecture and actually has really the world’s most advanced memory architecture for GPUs. What we did announce at our analyst day was that the first shipping Vega will be the Frontier Edition which will ship with 16GB of memory and will ship towards the latter half of June. You will see the enthusiast gaming platform, the machine learning platform, the professional graphics platform very soon thereafter. And so we will be launching Vega across all of the market segments over the next couple of months.

I pray AMD releases Windows 8.1 drivers for it, because I found a nice little jewel Amazon.com: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 XTREME Gaming Water Cooling Video Card (GV-N1080XTREME W-8GD):... and I'd rather jump to Team Green than Windows 10, though I'm wondering if I should be holding my breath after seeing no support for the RX 580...

45 Replies
Challenger
Challenger

Re: Lisa Su: RX Vega "No later than July"

Brand loyalty isn't as important as getting the card you feel is right for you. If you start playing the waiting game for computer parts you'll probably never buy anything. If this is the card you want, buy it now.

Esteemed Contributor III

No it's not the card I want, I want RX Vega, and I'll be happy to pay the "new release tax" and get it on day 1, but it comes down to the fact that if there are no Windows 8.1 drivers, AMD is no longer an option.

Challenger
Challenger

I'm waiting for the Vega too, because I know they will have a decent sized memory bus width. Besides I already have a 1080 and I'm not really impressed with NVidia right now. I'm running an XFX R9 390 in my Ryzen 7 1700 and it runs better than a 1080 go figure.

0 Kudos
Adept III
Adept III

I just bought a cheaper RX480 to hold me over till Vega comes. Vega will be the 4k upgrade so will require me also buying 4k TV and 4k monitor, have my eye on a TV just waiting for a sale or a good price match.

Esteemed Contributor III

AMD's Epyc Servers Launch June 20, Consumer Vega GPUs Follow in July - ExtremeTech

As for consumer Vega, AMD has stated it will launch the card at SIGGRAPH, an industry event from July 30 – August 2nd. This fulfills Lisa Su’s earlier remarks about launching consumer Vega within a couple of months (from mid-May). But SIGGRAPH is a professional event, not the sort of place where one normally launches a consumer graphics card. It’s possible that AMD plans to do a joint announcement at the show, with a combined professional and consumer launch, but we’re still wondering about what kind of availability and pricing AMD will be able to offer to the general market.

Best-case, the company has engaged in some sleight-of-hand to bring a more potent GPU to the consumer space than many are expecting.

0 Kudos
Challenger
Challenger

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't she say there will be an announcement about Vega at SIGGRAPH. Like it was an announcement about an announcement. Not really a confirmation when the card will go on sale. Plus it was kind of odd they had to use two cards in crossfire to run Prey in 4K. And on top of that there was screen tearing. I wonder if she contacted AMD support and they told her they were aware of the problem and it might be fixed with a future driver update. Lol.

Esteemed Contributor III

Availability is going to be very limited to about 15,000 cards worldwide we know, though given AMD's really horrible stock coolers it's not such a bad thing unless you're someone who will also drop a couple hundred on a waterblock. At least we should find out if Windows 8.1 will be getting the shaft though.

Forerunner
Forerunner

Even NVidia suffers the same problem at release. Scalpers buy a lot of the limited quantity at release. So you have to constantly watch places for "normal" stock to be available at retail prices, and that's for the reference version. Then there will be some driver hiccups, so if I was buying vega, it would probably 6 months or next year before I would get it. Kind of happy with my decision to get the 1080 ti at this point.

Esteemed Contributor III

I'm probably going to be forced to buy the 1080 due to lack of Windows 8.1 driver support for Vega if the RX 500 series is any indication. I wish there were an official word on this... Not worth putting up with the Windows 10 headaches.