cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

gigabytes
Adept III

Re: Lisa Su: RX Vega "No later than July"

Just to inject my opinion, Windows 10 is superior to Window 8.1 is virtually every way.

If Windows 10 updates and upgrades were as reliable as Windows 7 and 8 (didn't break things, didn't have the ability to uninstall things, didn't have the ability to deny installation of things, weren't mandatory), and weren't ungodly huge (some of us have tiny data caps), I'd consider 10 as the other annoyances and privacy settings can be controlled with third party apps, but honestly I can't say Windows 10 has any advantage over Windows 8.1 for me, especially given that Ryzen experiences lower performance on 10 than 7 and 8.1.

bearcat22
Challenger

Windows 10 meets every requirement to be classified as a virus. I'll quit installing new hardware and quit playing new games before I put it on my machine.

colesdav
MVP

Hopefully they will have more advanced "AMD Crimson ReLive"  type Linux Driver support for AMD Vega Cards.
I watched the AMD Computex Event LiveStream and I was disappointed that very little information was available on Desktop Vega for Consumer.

Maybe the GTX1080Ti is better than Vega for gaming already and Nvidia Volta is now approaching so Vega Desktop for Consumer is simply too late.

Perhaps Radeon Vega Frontier Edition and Threadripper / Epyc is the understandable focus for AMD now.

I thought the AMD Computex Event overall was very good, and the information on Threadripper and Eypc and new X399 platform was impressive.
I was just about to order Ryzen 1800x build, but now holding off for more information on Threadripper and Eypc and new X399 platform.
CPU choices from AMD  are improving so fast at the moment it seems like holding off and waiting as long as possible is the best bet for me.

Bye.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Move to a popular Linux Distro if you can.
I moved to Ubuntu for day to day use and it is working pretty well for me now.
I still have swappable Windows 8.1.drive as well as a swappable Windows 10 installation which I only use to run  DX12 titles on.

0 Kudos

[​IMG]

0 Kudos
qwixt
Forerunner

You need to pay the pro tax if you get Win 10, and get the pro version to control updates. That's what I did. Kind of ridiculous, but it is what it is. With the pro version, and liberal disabling of services and scheduled tasks, you can get win 10 behaving pretty much like previous versions when it comes to updates and privacy. I don't use any 3rd party things for it.

I just counted, and I have 30 services disabled to keep my desktop from running remoting services and phone services, along with the disabled telemetry stuff for nvidia and windows.

As long as Microsoft doesn't deem a patch "critical", then you're going to get it even if it bricks your system.

Windows 10 Creator's Update To Force "Critical" Updates Over Metered Connections

http://winsupersite.com/site-files/winsupersite.com/files/uploads/2017/01/10/windowsupdateometeredconnectionsw10cu.PNG

kingfish
MVP

What message do you get with the Pro or Enterprise edition as qwixt​ mentioned? Is it still a 6 month time limit? Although to be fair, within 6 months a catastrophic update would have been acknowledged/ fixed by then. And video drivers would be updated several times by then....

0 Kudos
gkeawe
Challenger

Educate yourself people and quit complaining about issues that are well within your abilities as basic users. Overview of Windows as a service (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs