cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Latest Microsoft Patch Breaks Windows 10 Desktop Search, Start Menu, Audio

Windows10PLAEN

Microsoft’s efforts to tame the problems in Windows 10 1903 continue to backfire for the company. Earlier this month, we discussed how a cumulative update patch had broken Cortana and SearchUI functionality more generally, causing high CPU usage spikes and sometimes breaking Windows Desktop Search. On Tuesday, September 10, Microsoft distributed a new patch intended to resolve these problems.

That fix, KB4515384, is now confirmed to have its own set of problems. There are reports that Windows 10’s Start Menu may now stop working with one of two error messages, either: “We’ll try to fix it next time you log in,” or “Critical error — Your Start Menu isn’t working.” Meanwhile, Windows Desktop Search may continue to display blank results to any query.

KB-Update-Error

“Microsoft has received reports that some users are having issues related to the Start menu and Windows Desktop Search,” the company said. “We are presently investigating and will provide an update when more information is available”.

There are also reports of audio issues hitting this update as well. There are various reports of audio either missing from games or being drastically reduced. Windows Latest notes that one way to fix these problems is to reduce Windows Audio to 16-bit DVD quality. This can be done by clicking on the ‘Sound’ icon in Control Panel, clicking on your Speaker/Headphone solution to change its properties, navigating to the ‘Advanced’ tab, and selecting the 16-bit 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) option.

If none of that works, you can always uninstall the update.

And that’s where we are these days with Windows 10. The truth is, I don’t even know how big these issues are. That they exist is a given, but how many people are they impacting? I don’t feel as though Microsoft has created a more stable product with Windows 10 — I don’t trust updates not to screw things up — but is that actually what most people experience? The fact that Windows gets updated so much more often now makes it easier to track the various hiccups hitting the OS, but it doesn’t tell us how many people are being impacted by them.

At the same time, Microsoft continues to have some pretty objectively big issues, at least as far as how many people they impact. Not being fully compatible with Microsoft’s own Surface products is pretty embarrassing. Windows also shouldn’t need to block its own updates on systems with external storage solutions — we’d expect that kind of issue to be fixed before any update goes live.

Microsoft has made a lot of meaningful changes to how it approaches privacy in Windows 10 and those changes have generally been good. It collects less data now and has better explained what it does with what it collects. But the much-promised improvement to the OS update model? Hasn’t really happened, at least not to the degree they promised it would. There are still a lot of issues getting through the cracks that don’t seem as if they should be. I’m tired of using pithy images of used car salesman and poorly designed airplanes. Could you just fix the operating system?

Latest Microsoft Patch Breaks Windows 10 Desktop Search, Start Menu, Audio - ExtremeTech 

7 Replies

And to add more today: action center and network adapters

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-action-center-network-adapters-not-working-update,40407.html

0 Likes

So you fully recommend Windows 10 then? LOL......

It would be funnier if it wasn't so sad. The state of things in the PC world from OS to Hardware support has IMHO never been worse.

0 Likes

I think it's more sad that the state is "Pay $100 more for the professional version and delay updates at least 30 days and upgrades at least 6 months so you won't be subjected to bugs and potential data loss." Honestly as an initially very reluctant Windows 10 user, I've never had an issue though I do set the delays to 30/365, but the cost of "It should just work" should not involve potentially weeks of vulnerability.

0 Likes

You are correct! The sad thing here though as that people are waiting for this to fix a specific issue, and not only does it not fix things, it makes it worse. MS needs to just go back to the tried and true service packs that are fully vetted before release. Not like some of those didn't have issues too, but nothing like what we have been putting up with with Windows 10.

0 Likes

In any other business..it would be called Quality Control. Or lack of it.

Microsoft thought that it would be cheaper to have unpaid beta testers instead of paid debuggers.

They are now having their just deserts.