cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

slezacz
Journeyman III

lagging

Hello i have one problem. My gaming notebook is good but almoste every game make 60fps and then drops to 15-20fps and i cant find out why, can somebody help me please?It take somethink like 3 sec to stop lagging.pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
4 Replies
leyvin
Miniboss

There can be a myriad of reasons as to the momentary Frame Stalls., but in my experience a major issue with Laptop / Low-End Processors is that they don't have enough (they used to not have any) Level 3 Cache.

Remember that the Desktop 4C/8T CPU has 16MB Level 3 Cache... and for good reason, this prevents the CPU from being Data Starved during Intensive Operations (such-as Gaming).

But then the same is true in regards to your System Memory (SRAM)., as you only have 7GB.

This is actually likely 8GB (2x4GB) but I'd wager the Vega 8 has 1GB Dedicated... even though you're not using it.

Now as a note for Gaming., what you need (minimum) is 4GB + VRAM to ensure it doesn't need to switch to Virtual Memory.

In your case this would be 4GB + 4GB (8GB)., and you can reclaim that lost 1GB by Disabling the Vega 8 Graphics in the BIOS. Assuming you don't use your Laptop "On-the-Go" (which oddly most people don't, they buy Laptops as 'small form factor' Desktops :-\ ... not the route I'd go, but w/e).

This should help... what also can is lowering Settings like Texture Quality or Resolution.

Yes, I know the GPU might be powerful enough for 1080p60 on Medium for most Games; but if it gets close to using 4GB VRAM; well it also needs 4GB System Memory for the Shared Graphics Memory. 

So, if you only have 7GB System Memory; you'll want to be keeping that at or below 3GB Utilisation; this should dramatically reduce how often you experience Frame Drops.

Of course a better solution is just to expand the System Memory to 12 or 16GB., then the problem should be entirely solved.

Still, as noted there is still limited Level 3 Cache on the CPU... with Integrated Graphics the performance is never enough for this to be an issue., but with a Dedicated GPU capable of 60Hz over 30Hz; yeah this could end up a problem in intensive games that heavily utilise the Cache (like Games). 

Now how you can check this is difficult... usually the issue is with CPU Related Graphics Settings, and those tend not to be common. Things like Dynamic Resolution, Physics, Crowds, etc.

Again playing with settings might help figure out what works best for a given game, but some might not really have any solutions; and worse is obviously there is no way to simply add more L3 Cache. 

You could try locking the game to a lower Refresh (25 / 30 / 45 / 50Hz) instead of 60Hz., this can usually help reduce the Frame Stalls / Drops. 

Generally speaking I would suggest NOT using a Laptop for Gaming, unless it is a Gaming Laptop.

Those will usually use an AMD Ryzen H or Intel iCore HK Processor., the U variants are SPECIFICALLY "Low Power" and intended for extended battery life and productivity (i.e. Work / Web / Media) rather than Gaming. 

So I have 8gb ram in one but if I buy another one 8gb does it fix it?

0 Likes
airaeuro
Journeyman III

I was also facing the same issue and finally, I format my system. I lost my pneumatic control valve collection as I am an engineer and passionate to collect industrial equipment details.

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

1. please test with MSI Afterburner and Overlay what temps you get when gaming
1b. i suspect your APU or GPU temps get pretty high and the APU then throttles down to 1GHz to stay in templimit

2. use 2x8GB DDR4-2400 CL16 or CL14 RAM (70-80€)
2b. or simply buy one used stick OF YOUR BUILT IN RAM on ebay (usually they sell for 15€)

3. dont choke your Laptop! have it on a Laptopcooler or a wide table without any blankets etc // dont use your Laptop in your bed without a Laptopcooler

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes