cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

awb555
Adept II

Issues with HDR video playback..

1: When playing a HDR file on media classic using madvr (Directshow video, no other custom settings) it activates HDR on my TV but quickly goes from full screen to shrinking with tiny black bars on the left/right sides of the screen. All YouTube and Netflix also have the black bars but Windows is fullscreen. Also some SD movies have black bars and some don’t. On my 1080P monitor there is no black bars at all. (I’m not talking about top and bottom wide screen bars)

2: When using Windows HDR everything I do is in HDR even when it’s not supposed to be (HDR never goes off). When I pull up the stats for Netflix it says 1080P.

3: I've tried VLC (vanilla), MPC-BE&HC (vanilla & madvr I didn't do to much with madvr because I didn't understand it), I'm not paying $1 to play MKV files on the Movie & TV app.

Are there any players that just work?? I just want my movie files to work. Don't really care about Netflix, I use the app on my TV for that. Or is there something I'm missing in the AMD software?

Here's a photo of what happens when I play a HDR file:
FAC97D80-413F-4B69-AABA-7C459B102685.jpeg

Any help would be fantastic!! Thanks, Andy.

Graphics card: XFX AMD Radeon™ RX 570 RS 4GB XXX Edition (HDR ready)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Pro3

Ram: Team Zeus Blue 16GB

Processor: Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5 GHz

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 RX-850 850-Watts

TV screen: LG 49" 4K UHD Smart TV - 49UK6090PUA & a 1080P monitor

1 Solution
awb555
Adept II

GOT IT!! Set the resolution to 3840x2160 now all my movies fit perfectly!! I had it to high. Every time I would go to change the resolution it would be grayed out. I thought it was automatically detecting the resolution. I didn’t know I had to click on the image of the screen.

Thanks everyone

View solution in original post

37 Replies

I use an HDR monitor with DisplayPort and I can play a DVD or BD etc in fill sRGB color space with HDR etc

0 Likes
awb555
Adept II

What does that mean " in fill sRGB color space with HDR etc"?

0 Likes

sRGB - Wikipedia 

HDR is high dynamic  range, applied to 10-bit per pixel red/green/blue which affords some 1 billion colors

0 Likes

I am so sorry but I still don’t follow. 

0 Likes

0 Likes

No that didn't, I'm the one who posted that. I didn't any answers on that post, that's why I posted here...

0 Likes

bump

0 Likes

unless you have HDR capable panel it will not work 

High-dynamic-range rendering - Wikipedia 

0 Likes

...... yes I have HDR capable panel.

0 Likes

awb555 wrote:

...... yes I have HDR capable panel.

check the panel settings to be sure it is enabled. My panel by default is not enabled.

0 Likes

It automatically comes on when it detects a HDR signal.

0 Likes

My panel OSD shows HDR when it awakens or at start up

0 Likes

Not mine. Mine is literally only win the video is in HDR.

I guess I’m asking too many questions at one time so let me narrow it down...

When I watch a regular (1080P) and 4K YouTube videos. Why is it not full screen when the player it’s self is? 

0 Likes

BD video is not HDR but the new 4K BD are HDR by design

As for youtube and their VP9 CODEC it is designed for conventional RGB video 

Some recent games are now supporting HDR

0 Likes

OK let’s say Netflix using the app or even edge. The same thing happened but again you can see the player going to the edge on each side of the screen. When I use the app on my TV it works fine.

0 Likes

I don't use Netflix but I stream video via Chrome fine. There are several sources for entertainment. 

The local television can be streamed and there is a movie source I use which also supports full screen.

Television is not HDR with any streaming service I use.

0 Likes

To be honest I have tons of issues with HDR on my green team card too. Frankly when it comes to HDR issues it is a DRM issue in conjunction with Microsofts implementation. You have to have HDR enabled to be able to, enable it in a game. However that adds color issues on the desktop and then every media playback software, browser and streaming app seems to behave differently. 

Until Microsoft figures out how to get this stable I don't know that there is an answer. I sure have not found one. 

0 Likes

HDR10 surfaced with Windows 10 version 1809. So given it is new it will be some time for game developers to be able to leverage it.

Same thing with DXR which also is a new DX12 feature in Windows 10. It also is also not widely in use yet but once the new consoles are released and a new crop of games is released I can see support growing.

0 Likes
awb555
Adept II

hardcoregames™pokester‌ 

i’m not going to lie, I didn’t understand 95% of what you said. I understand there are different ways to watch movies but that’s not the point. I really don’t like the YouTube app. Yes I can scream cast it but again that’s not the point. 

I got this graphics card because it does 4k and is HDR ready and haven’t really been able to use it yet.

0 Likes

content providers are slow to catch up with display technology,

4K BD media are the only surefire source for HDR10 capable entertainment

Look for UltraHD as one branding

0 Likes

Ok... but does it with 1080P also

0 Likes

awb555 wrote:

Ok... but does it with 1080P also

no HDR came with 4K panels, 1080p panels are at the low end of the market

0 Likes

No... what I mean is when I will watch something in 1080 P the bars are still there on my TV

0 Likes

awb555 wrote:

No... what I mean is when I will watch something in 1080 P the bars are still there on my TV

that is due to content that may be in a non 16:9 aspect ratio. Old shows were shot for 4:4 aspect ratio while some moves are as wide as 21:9 so there is a lot of problems with television vs films and the film industry never did like television much at all

0 Likes

That does not explain it because I can watch U-verse HD 1080P, movie files (SD 16:9 via thumb drive) on my 4K tv with NO black bars on the left/right. However I can watch the same movie files or download the same TV show and have black bars when watching it on the very same TV from my pc.

just to clarify you do know I’m talking about the bars on the left and right not top and bottom correct??

0 Likes

aspect ratios are all over the dial so bars on the left and right, or top and bottom are common

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

There are two things to check...

What are the settings you have in Radeon Settings > Display

You want to have GPU Scaling Enabled, Scaling Mode Preserve and Integer Scaling Disabled/Not Supported.

Then go to your TV., I'm not sure what it is one your Manufacturer; I've only ever used Samsung but on those if you open Settings go into Picture > Picture Size Settings > then just ensure that it's set itself to 16:9 Standard.

This will typically ensure that it doesn't do any weird "Scaling" issues. 

Now as for HDR Support., yeah good luck with that.

As it stands most Apps seem to use the Intel and NVIDIA Media SDKs to enable HDR Support., which means AMD Graphics Card users are left without any HDR Support. 

Netflix have assured me several times "We support PlayReady 3.0, so HDR should work"., but they're still using specific Driver Based Solutions. Why they refuse to support AMD Graphics Services (AGS) remains a mystery to me. 

Now what you can do is use your Browser... 

Edge Classic supports HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision; this will enable automatically... Edge Chromium and Chrome however have HDR on sRGB by default (meaning it's 8bit with Dithering, so not really HDR; it just works in the SDR Colourspace)., what you'll have to do is change the flag to HDR10 and restart the Browser., then you'll get HDR10.

Still keep in mind unlike via the Smart TV Apps that will output Native HDR10/HDR10+/HLG/Dolby Vision at whatever Native HDR Range you have on your display (HDR1000 in my case)., Windows 10 itself will typically reduce your Display to HDR 400-600. 

Meaning things will tend to look a little washed out and dimmer (comparatively speaking to Native).

There is a way around this via Driver SDKs (again such-as AGS Support) but as noted few Developers actually bloody support it, and the ones that do... frankly do such a bad job you wish they hadn't bothered. 

HDR is unfortunately (at present) best supported via either HDMI 2.1 (which most TVs don't bloody have, but the kicker being it COULD be enabled via Software; as most do have HDMI Chipsets that support it) or via DisplayPort; which are only found on Monitor Displays. 

Mind even then Monitor Display HDR is generally much lower Quality (typically topping out at HDR600., hence why Windows 10 default HDR support essentially limits your display to that) ... so I'd argue at the moment it's a bit of a no win situation.

Still HDR looks great via Smart TV Apps or if you have an Xbox One., which frustrating does support it perfectly. 

0 Likes

leyvin wrote:

There are two things to check...

What are the settings you have in Radeon Settings > Display

You want to have GPU Scaling Enabled, Scaling Mode Preserve and Integer Scaling Disabled/Not Supported.

Then go to your TV., I'm not sure what it is one your Manufacturer; I've only ever used Samsung but on those if you open Settings go into Picture > Picture Size Settings > then just ensure that it's set itself to 16:9 Standard.

This will typically ensure that it doesn't do any weird "Scaling" issues. 

Now as for HDR Support., yeah good luck with that.

As it stands most Apps seem to use the Intel and NVIDIA Media SDKs to enable HDR Support., which means AMD Graphics Card users are left without any HDR Support. 

Netflix have assured me several times "We support PlayReady 3.0, so HDR should work"., but they're still using specific Driver Based Solutions. Why they refuse to support AMD Graphics Services (AGS) remains a mystery to me. 

Now what you can do is use your Browser... 

Edge Classic supports HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision; this will enable automatically... Edge Chromium and Chrome however have HDR on sRGB by default (meaning it's 8bit with Dithering, so not really HDR; it just works in the SDR Colourspace)., what you'll have to do is change the flag to HDR10 and restart the Browser., then you'll get HDR10.

Still keep in mind unlike via the Smart TV Apps that will output Native HDR10/HDR10+/HLG/Dolby Vision at whatever Native HDR Range you have on your display (HDR1000 in my case)., Windows 10 itself will typically reduce your Display to HDR 400-600. 

Meaning things will tend to look a little washed out and dimmer (comparatively speaking to Native).

There is a way around this via Driver SDKs (again such-as AGS Support) but as noted few Developers actually bloody support it, and the ones that do... frankly do such a bad job you wish they hadn't bothered. 

HDR is unfortunately (at present) best supported via either HDMI 2.1 (which most TVs don't bloody have, but the kicker being it COULD be enabled via Software; as most do have HDMI Chipsets that support it) or via DisplayPort; which are only found on Monitor Displays. 

Mind even then Monitor Display HDR is generally much lower Quality (typically topping out at HDR600., hence why Windows 10 default HDR support essentially limits your display to that) ... so I'd argue at the moment it's a bit of a no win situation.

Still HDR looks great via Smart TV Apps or if you have an Xbox One., which frustrating does support it perfectly

The settings didn’t change anything. 
it’s frustrating because when I play movies via a thumb drive it works... I seem to track down the problem at least with movie files. When I play a movie that is 16:9 it has the black bars on the pc. 
keep in mind windows is full screen

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

Have you tried adjusting the HDMI scaling slider?

0 Likes

As I said before, windows and the media player touch the corners of the screen. If I adjust the scaling that will make windows and the media player go off the screen. 

0 Likes

In the Radeon software

Under Settings > Display > Display Specs is the TV's display resolution listed correctly?

Does enabling Virtual Super Resolution change anything?

0 Likes

fyrel wrote:

In the Radeon software

Under Settings > Display > Display Specs is the TV's display resolution listed correctly?

Does enabling Virtual Super Resolution change anything?

Makes everything brighter but doesn’t fix the bars on the side. 
Keep in mind the only time I have the bars is when I watch 16:9 movies

0 Likes

I actually just kind of found a happy medium. Just because I am done messing with this LOL. I’ll just use my graphics card for 4K and stream the other stuff. It’s just irritating that the media player that’s built into my TV can play any aspect ratio just fine.
(I can’t stream 4K movie files because they lag)
I appreciate the help though
awb555
Adept II

GOT IT!! Set the resolution to 3840x2160 now all my movies fit perfectly!! I had it to high. Every time I would go to change the resolution it would be grayed out. I thought it was automatically detecting the resolution. I didn’t know I had to click on the image of the screen.

Thanks everyone

Anonymous
Not applicable

You want to download "daum pot player" go to microsoft windows 10 app store and purchase HEVC decoder for $1  just in case its needed its the proper industry standard codec licence for playback.

Then you want to go into potplayer settings and enable 10bit output.. Check the box for HARDWARE HDR OUTPUT..

then you want to set the VIDEO RENDERER to "D3D11 renderer". then enable the H/W - S/W toggle to ensure its set to hardware GPU decoding. If its not playing back try going into properties and "filters > video tab then scroll down to HEVC/265 and click the "settings or Decoder settings" or whatever the hell that button was called you can maybe find it right at the bottom of the list.. Try checking whether if toggling FFdshow decoder helps or not and toggling d3d11 decoder from full black box to semi checked to empty helps in any way.. each time hitting apply then "OK" and closing the app and opening again to try and play it back to ensure the changes have applied to test it.

some nvidia sponsored n00bs and people who got free hardware from nvidia try to type junk into emulated 16bit dos prompt to "use AMD hardware decoding/encoding of HEVC" those people are criminally negligent.. you MUST use DX12 software and not janky old 1940's 1950's C or C++ its insecure unprotected undying patchwork zombie of C to extend its life span..

Basically theres assembly code which is closest to machine code which is TRUE so C is simple barebones C is for chinese as it was made to run on garbage hardware.. stuff like DOS and windows 95 are the sorts of things you associate with 16bit single CPU and single GPU thats good old C that was tried to be banned many times but people handed out code for it free and bought all the game studios and app developers.. anyway the code people are running on C nowadays is 50's and 60's code honest truth.. your RTX stuff thats 70's and 80's stuff.. deep learning neural networks (DLSS) thats 50's and 60's.. anyways AMD did it decades ago.. well since assembly is "closest to the metal" and C is as barebones rubbish as it gets .. its a bit like an engineer saying how the push bike from the early 1900's was the pinnacle of power transfer systems and delivery of force to the wheels coz its "closest to the metal" but modern companies spent millions and millions developing cool new sci fi stuff on AMD hardware like SIMD and all this negative latency predictive branching stuff.. theres all this cool scifi hardware things built into our hardware like out of order code execution.. and microsoft and google and mozilla everyone wants to use this cool new hardware and its features or at least multi CPU cores and multi GPU's.. so they make DX12 and VULKAN API's and they use microsofts C# (Csharp) language or googles DHART language or mozillas RUST language.. seriously look up why rust is called rust.. but all these 1940's idiots with 1950's code all believe that their modern motorbikes will never be as "close to the metal" as a pushbike and complain about how heavy and hard to pedal their motorbikes are because they're running this new AMD motorbike hardware with pedal push bike powered C++ so they get a state of the art high speed electric motorbike and they're not even knowing how to start the engine cant even find the key coz they're trying to pedal the darned thing! its ridiculous. So you see everyone will say that the new modern programming languages and API's are all derived from C++ the same way a motorbike is derived from a push bike.. they might crap on about how ones so much closer to the metal than the heavy motorbike and how much harder it is for people to steal a motorbike than to just jump on a push bike and ride off with it is the main reason every man and his dog is fighting to never ever use anything but C from the 1950's. So reviewers know that all their garbage C stuff emulated in DOS.. doesnt run on AMD hardware and barely breaks even with intel and nvidia's fake hardware.. intels CPU's are literally 15 years old it says 10th gen in a huge banner on their website.. from back when win 98 and xp was common and everything was DOS or fake DOS like win xp's stacked DOS on top of each other for dual 16bit for false 32bit.. anyway reviewers know this and run software apps and games with 90's software on a modern high spec gaming PC without using any of its hardware features and functionality.. 

people spend decades making fake optimizations and libraries to add to C++ to fake it being a modern programming language to try and keep industry using it longer..

going by their logic windows 3.11 is all you ever need it fits on a few floppy disks and runs rocket fast on your high end gaming PC.. its all C all the way till the end of time.. some clueless people think stuff like python which is from 1991 is somehow better and more modern and versatile.. coz they've never even tried a modern programming language..

but i dont know how to program at all.. i just know a bunch of reviewers need some slaps to the face.

0 Likes
Eliasevers
Journeyman III

Certainly, I understand you want the instructions to be more comprehensible and in a human-friendly language. Here's a more user-friendly version of the instructions you provided:

First, go to the Microsoft Windows 10 app store and get the Daum Pot Player. While you're there, it's a good idea to purchase the HEVC decoder for $1. This is the standard codec license necessary for playback.

Next, open PotPlayer and navigate to the settings. Enable the 10-bit output and ensure that the box for Hardware HDR Output is checked. Then, set the Video Renderer to "D3D11 Renderer." Make sure the H/W-S/W toggle is set to hardware GPU decoding.

If your video isn't playing back correctly, try accessing the properties and then go to "Filters" and the "Video" tab. Scroll down to find the HEVC/265 settings and click on "Decoder Settings" or a similar option at the bottom of the list Experiment with toggling the FFdshow decoder and the D3D11 decoder, from full black box to semi-checked or empty. Apply each change, click "OK," close the app, and then reopen it to test the playback.

Some people might suggest running commands in an emulated 16-bit DOS prompt to enable AMD hardware decoding/encoding of HEVC. However, it's safer and more efficient to use the DX12 software rather than relying on outdated C or C++ coding, which can be insecure.

Modern programming languages like C# (Csharp), DHART, or Rust are derived from C, much like how modern motorbikes have their roots in the original push bike. However, some individuals insist on using outdated C-based programs, not taking advantage of the advanced features of newer hardware.

Remember, it's essential to utilize the capabilities of your modern hardware to ensure efficient and optimized performance.

0 Likes
geeniapppc
Journeyman III

OK let’s say Netflix using the app  or even edge. The same thing happened but again you can see the player going to the edge on each side of the screen. When I use the app on my TV it works fine.https://geeniforpc.web.app/

0 Likes