cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

elstaci
MVP

Re: Is MS Experimenting with Your PC

Saw this website about the new Official Linux 4.18 and all it new improvements including AMD Hardware: Linux 4.18 Arrives With Some Big Changes - OMG! Ubuntu!

colesdav
MVP

Hi,

Thanks for posting that.

Am I getting you interested in Ubuntu then ?
I think it is definitely ready for day to day PC work like Office tools, email, web surfing, and Steam on Linux Gaming, especially if you have an Nvidia GPU at the moment. I am pretty certain the AMDGPU-PRO drivers will improve in terms of GUI/GUI installer. They have to.
At the very least if people start to migrate now, using a single SSHD or SSD install, they can learn, and maybe switch full time by Jan 14 2020 when Windows 7 Support ends.
You could still keep a windows 10 machine just for gaming or run Windows on Linux as a Virtual machine with PCIe passthrough.

Bye.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Hi,

Note the following: Various USB Type-C, Thunderbolt improvements
I have been testing an R9 Nano in a thunderbolt eGPU enclosure.
So as you may see, things have moved forward pretty fast.

Bye.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

I wasn't trying in any way to debate point by point. Everyone has their reasons why they do and don't do. They aren't wrong for choosing what is right for them either. I already acknowledged that some apps are available, blender would be a great one that is. The Adobe suite is a great one that is not.  Most of  what I use professionally is not and at home the gaming is a real challenge. I already acknowledged I like Linux and especially Ubuntu. I just don't think that MOST USERS at this point would benefit as they would give up in frustration very quickly, even as easy as it is to install I don't think many would even want to seek it out and that is only an opinion based on  my experience it would just be more trouble than they want to deal with. People in general just don't like change, even MS had to figure that out. I do absolutely think with main stream support that could change.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Sure, understood, no problem.

Many people are not even aware of what Windows 10 is doing and do not seem to care.

0 Likes