cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

pokester
MVP

Re: Is MS Experimenting with Your PC

I would assume that too. Taking the better safe than sorry approach is smart in my book.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

As you all know , I hate repeating myself. But just the responses from you guys that made the leap is my point. All of you are 100 times more advanced than the average Joe...and look. Methods that the average user wouldn't have a clue about..and don't have any experience of forums or Google. They want to turn the computer on and it works. Oh well, it's keeping several of my family who work in IT with plenty of work. And it keeps me in beer.

colesdav
MVP

Hi,

You can upgrade laptop or desktop from Windows Vista -> Windows 7 ->  Windows 8 -> Windows 8.1 -> Windows 10.
I have done it.
Getting drivers working can be difficult, but it is possible.

You cannot buy Windows 8.1 64bit licenses from Microsoft anymore.

Also Microsoft have been adding all sorts of Windows 10 type service packs to  Windows 8.1 64bit. The quality of Windows updates has followed suit to be at the awful quality of Windows 10 Updates.

I have had some recent contact with Microsoft about the quality of their Windows 10 and 8.1 updates. I note that experienced support people on the Microsoft own help forums are telling people to stay on Windows 10 17.03, because of 17.09 and 18.03 Update and service pack issues.

More to the point, You will have no AMD GPU Drivers for Windows 8.1 64bit since AMD dropped support for Windows 8.1 64bit since WHQL 17.4.4/ 17.7.1 drivers.
AMD really should not have done that, especially since many people purchased R9 FuryX and Nano Cards and RX 480's which say they are supported on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 on box and spec. Dropping Windows 8.1 64bit was done on the quiet. I know of people going out and buying RX580 (which is just AIB RX480 with modded VBIOS to allow more power draw), only to find no Windows 8.1 64bit drivers. To me supported means GPU driver updates until Jan 2023 for Windows 8.1 64bit. AMD went back on their word as far as I am concerned. This means I had to push on with Migrating completely to Ubuntu earlier than I expected, and AMD drivers on Ubuntu has been pretty bad until ~ early - mid  2018. There is still no GPU monitoring or control GUI.

That means if you stay on Windows 8.1 64 bit with AMD that means:

1. No updates for DX11 games like PREY or any new DX12 or Vulkan titles since July 2017.
2. No AMD Link - if you're interested in that.

3. No Enhanced Sync, if you're interested in that.
4. Radeon Chill is available but it doesn't work properly only on a small set of Whitelisted games.
    I cannot enable Radeon Chill on all games to see that it doesn't work on those either.

People need to think about how Microsoft are treating their Users since dropping Windows 8.1 64bit, forcing Windows 10 upgrades, poor software quality of updates, data mining, etc.

There is only one thing to be done in my opinion.

Get off Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 and on to Linux as soon as possible.
I suggest Ubuntu 16.04 LTS initially followed by a move to 18.04LTS for people who have not run Linux before.

Bye.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

When they pry my dead hands off the keyboard, I'll switch to Linux. I'm talking simple colesdav. Can you with a straight face recommend to anybody to switch to Linus who's expertise/knowledge is punching the "On" button on their computer?

Microsoft had the right idea...make sure everybody updates their computer. But it went south from there. Anybody with enough sense to know, should have the option as to what gets downloaded and when. Instead, users are ​all ​sheep. Baa

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Hi,

Yes I can recommend that with a straight face.

Especially if you run an Nvidia GPU. Nvidia provide very good proprietary drivers with a proper GUI.

AMDGPU/Pro drivers are usable now, and hopefully by the end of the year there will be a GUI to monitor and control GPU.

I have been running Ubuntu 16.04LTS for some time now.
I am currently trying out 18.04LTS.
If you have a PC with a single GPU and monitor and a modern CPU then yes.

I suggest you try out Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

You can download the ISO, burn it onto a DVD and run a live copy and see if it works for your PC.

If you have a spare SSHD SSD then burn a copy of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS onto it and see what you think.

If you do hit problems on your hardware then fine, you loose nothing.

I have had far more problems with Windows 10 than on  Ubuntu 16.04 LTS this year.

I do not understand why people think Windows 10 is easy to use. Just look at the above posts about trying to stop Windows Updates alone.

Bye.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Correction: I have had far more problems with Windows 10 than Ubuntu 16.04 LTS this year.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

RE: Instead, users are all sheep. Baa.

Hi,

I do not think all users are sheep but we (ordinary consumers (Home Edition) / small business (Pro) are being treated that way.

So perhaps it is time to take a stand and say enough is enough?
Since you have not moved from Windows 7 it seems clear to me you have your own concerns about using Windows 10.

I think you should at least give Ubuntu 16.04 LTS a try.
If you do not try it out then you are simply giving in to Microsoft behavior.
You still have have until January 14 2020 to resist and walk away from Windows 10 64bit becoming your Main OS.

Bye.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

You must have not read all the responses from me.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Hi,

Regarding Dual Boot between Windows 10 and Windows 7.

The file systems have changed.

If I leave both Windows 7 64bit and Windows 10 64bit drives in the same machine, and boot into  Windows 10, Windows 10 it tries to "repair" the Windows 7 disk.

I have removable drive caddies in my main PC to allow me to swap between Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 because of this.
Windows 8.164bit and Windows 10 64bit installations can stay plugged in at the same time.

Bye.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Tell you the truth, this is the first time I hear about that particular problem. Many Users have Dual Boot Windows OS without any problems.

Are you using one Hard drive with both Windows OS on it or are you using two separate Hard drives with one Windows OS in each in the same computer setup?

Tom's Hardware only mentions one issue about installing Dual Boot Windows OS : Can't dual boot Windows 7 with Windows 10. - [Solved] - Windows 10​ 

Otherwise, all the websites I have read doesn't mention anything except that you can have Windows 7 & 10 as a Dual Boot on the same computer.

0 Likes