cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

elstaci
MVP

Re: Im selling my AMD cards

advertise you AMD GPU card with the price that you want for it on Amazon Marketplace. I am sure that there are as many buyers looking for AMD products as there are for Nvidia.

Here is Amazon FAQ about selling products on their website: Sell Your Stuff at Amazon.com

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Hi,

I guess you are excited by the RTX 2080Ti, 2080, 2070 etc.

I don't blame you.

It looks like it will be the most interesting GPU launch since the GTX 1080 ~ 2 years ago.

Those cards are still beating RX Vega 64 AIB cards, run at lower power, overclock better, have smaller form factors.

I am sure I will get flak for saying that and people will say "DX12", or "Vulkan" - well, there are not many of those games out there.

Nvidia have caught up with Vulkan Performance based on last set of benchmarks I see and ran.

Nvidia are also catching up in OpenCL 2.0.

I will be watching the Nvidia Event on Twitch in 17 hours: Twitch

I really do not want to spend my money on Nvidia GPU's but they have better cards even with their existing 1000 series and the Nvidia cards I run and test have better / more stable drivers on Windows and Linux.

I think AMD were very lucky that the existing discrete RX Vega Cards are very good at Ethereum Mining.
Right now it looks like some retailers can't give the RX Vega 64's away ... PowerColor RX Vega 64 Red Devils are now selling for 400-450 new with over 100 worth of free games. I was tempted to buy one at that price but then where will I fit that thing. It is 2.75 slots high. It blocks other PCIe ports.

I am better off sticking with a pair of R9 Nanos.

It is even too big and takes too much power too to fit in PowerColor's own Thunderbolt 3 eGPU box.

Maybe the price is tanking  because of the Nvidia RTX card launch, maybe people are hanging back to see if GTX1080Ti prices start to drop.
Really AMD need to do something to get back into being competitive in high end gaming.

I think the last time they were, was with the R9 Fury X / Fury / Nano cards which is where I have stayed.

The GTX 1080Ti is already 30% faster than an RX Vega 64 AIB card.
I have not seen any GTX2080Ti or 2080 benchmarks leaked yet, however just based on the reported additional CUDA cores and clock speeds alone, I think they might push RX Vega 64 down into mid range performance in comparison.

Bye.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

What are you thinking of selling?

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Nothing like giving a glowing positive report on AMD's competitor's GPU Cards in a AMD Forum

just teasing you

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Hi,

I am only giving honest feedback based on what I see and I experience.

I really do not want to spend my money with Nvidia.
Not because of problems I have had with their GPU's.

It has got to the point now that staying with AMD Cards has hurt the project I am working on.

Even if I had waited for the late RX Vega launch I think it took until March 2018 year before AIB Vega 64 cards had proper working drivers and BIOS.
I am really hoping that AMD can launch a Vega 64 on 7nm with better HBM2 soon.

I do need some more modern AMD GPU than R9 FuryX/Fury/Nanos, so I am looking to purchase one Powercolor RX Vega 56 Red Dragon if the price is low enough. Looking at benchmarks they are not much faster than an R9 Fury X. However they do have 8GB of Vram and High Bandwidth Cache is of interest to me. Also some new architecture features are of interest to me for programming reasons. If I could still buy an RX Vega 64 Liquid card new at a reasonable price I might.

I am not purchasing any more second hand GPU, even though R9 Nanos are now selling for £/$/Euro 200 - you might want to take a look at those yourself.

I am keeping my AMD cards FYI.

Bye.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

This may be of interest - if it is true:
PNY accidentally publishes RTX 2080Ti XLR8 Landing Page - all for $1000 USD | ProClockers
So based on that, lets see if I can predict out how much faster that card could be versus a GTX1080TI, then we could work out where that will likely stand versus an RX Vega 64 Liquid, which is faster than any RX Vega 64 AIB card but ~ 30% slower than a GTX 1080Ti.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

OK so getting back to this PNY "Leak".

4,352 CUDA Cores,

11GB of GDDR6 on a 352bit bus,

USB Type-C,

285W TDP

Real Time Ray Tracing.

$1000 US Dollars.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

GTX 1080Ti in Comparison.

3584 CUDA® Cores  

11 GB GDDR5X on a 352-bit bus.

1582Boost Clock (MHz)  

11 GbpsMemory Speed  

484 Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)  

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

GTX 2080Ti

Memory Bandwidth 616 GBPs

Core Clock1350 MHz
Boost Clock1545 MHz

It is a 2 slot high card.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

OK I think this new GTX 2080Ti will be up to 21.5% faster based on Cuda Core count assuming perfect scaling.

The GTX 1080Ti TDP is 250 Watts, this 2080Ti is slightly higher at 285W, so depending on the cooling solution the core clock may well run slower/ lower than GTX1080Ti.

The PNY card shows core clock of  1350Mhz and boost Clock of 1545 MHz.

Many GTX 1080Ti aftermarket cards run higher than that.

The GTX 1080 Ti reference clock is 1480 MHz and boost clock is 1582 MHz

So downscale due to lower core clock and boost clock.

Downscale on pessimistic side based on core clock value        = 0.912

Down scale on optimistic side based on the boost  clock value = 0.977

That makes the GTX 2080Ti 10.8% faster than a GTX 1080Ti based on the pessimistic boost clock value (that low boost clock may only be needed if RTX /Tensor cores are being run/powered up).
But let's stick with 10.8%. faster than GTX 1080Ti.

I will think about the likely overall performance improvement based on better GTX 2018Ti memory bandwidth of a factor of 616/484 = 1.27x improvement.

0 Likes