cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

kroms
Adept III

I hope AMD is better then this .

This is intresting and somewhat depressing for gamers, but would explain the shortage at least for NVIDIA

"" According to Financial Analysts at RBC Captial Markets and Barrons, it is estimated that NVIDIA has sold at least $175 Million worth of GeForce RTX 30 graphics cards utilizing its Ampere GPUs directly to miners. ""

Just Google it, many sites now have this.

Hopefully AMD will let some of it user base get some of there GPUS  in hand before they resort to this?

One can only hope.    

:)

0 Likes
23 Replies
apc900
Adept II

It'd be very bad from a customer relations standpoint, if AMD were to do something like this now. Nvidia can afford to. They've already established themselves as the market leader. Their customer base will be 'miffed' if it is proven true but they also have few options at this point other than to suck it up and take it  AMD is not remotely close to the sales volume of GPUs. Alienating the already smaller client base would be stupid. You'd want these cards in as many hands as possible. The immediate reason is two-fold... for the product exposure...as well as to convert people who normally run out and buy from the competition.

0 Likes

Get real.

0 Likes
AlphaDango
Adept I

The new RDNA2 chips aren't even that good for mining since this architecture is optimized for gaming performance. Miners would want the CDNA chips.

you right.

0 Likes

How could Lisa Su and the guys on the technical side of the house let the clowns in manufacturing and marketing screw up what should have been a historic opportunity to take market share from Nvidia?  No stock and inflated AIB prices. 

And she has that nitwit betting people it wouldn't be a paper launch on twitter. 

I take it back - as pointed out three years ago, AMD makes money on consoles, not pc cards. https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/271436-does-amds-graphics-division-have-an-identity-problem

She is just maximizing ROI.

0 Likes

Not enough profit selling GPUs to gamers.

0 Likes

Care to elaborate on that comment, or are you doing your usual nvidibot/schill comments ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Thought you had left the forum in a huff because your last AMD GPU didn't work?
Are you going to start requesting AMD exterminate anyone who says anything you dislike again?
Go away.

0 Likes

Typical nvidibot  troll reply.

Better get used to being called out for BS. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Forgot you will probably edit your posts in a few weeks/months for some grammar error ?

0 Likes

@goodplay You need help.

0 Likes

Again,  I think  you have me mixed up with someone else .

0 Likes

Hello @goodplay 

Hope you like my edit after original post. 
I keep getting locked from editing after posting. 

What GPU are you running right now?

You don't mention it in your specification.

0 Likes

I have on other posts.

I currently have a 570 , and 2 AMD 390s before that.

What exactly about the post  is everyone so touchy about ?  

The fact that I said  I hope AMD don't start prioritizing there selling of GPU's to Miners?  

Oh well,  good to see  people here are a bit touchy when it comes to there beloved brand .  

Anyways, Like everyone else here or most, I love AMD and will wait till I can get a 6800XT eventually even if that means next year or new year 2021.

0 Likes

Hello  @kroms 

I am not getting touchy about anything you posted. 
During last mining craze, Reference AMD Polaris and Vega GPUs were getting shipped to miners by the boat and plane load.
Not sure if those GPU came from AMD directly or from their AIB partners or both. 

The last gpu mining craze possibly kept AMD and Radeon from going broke. 
I can remember listening in to the Shareholder meetings. 
They are probably still available somewhere. 

Both Nvidia and AMD are large Corporations and they will sell their GPUs to the highest bidder to maximize ever increasing profit targets from the financial system. 

So they will want to take their latest GPUs and sell them to: 

HPC & AI.
Professional GPUs for business - in the case of AMD - Radeon Pro cards. 
Miners.
and then at the bottom of the pile, with the worst binned GPUs:  
Gamers. 

It is likely there will be a Radeon Pro version of the RX6800XT, just like there were for Navi cards. 
They offer a price premium versus a gaming GPU.  

The cost of  those AIB RX6800XT GPUs is much higher than the reference models. 

FYI, there is nothing wrong with purchasing an Nvidia GPU. 
They generally have much better drivers and can be used for Compute, Blender. 
That is not the case with recent AMD GPUs. RX5700XT drivers were a disgrace, for at least 8 months after launch. 

The pricing of these AIB RX6800XT cards means Nvidia RTX3080 is definitely a better choice for me between the two GPUs. 

Not Trolling  at all.   I just made a statement on how it appears NVidia is trying to maximize there profits and sell there product where they can get the most bang for the buck. 

I dont even own an Nvidia product , in fact i cant even recall the last time had purchased an Nvidia product .

Anyways, not sure why posting a Link  had such an impact.

0 Likes

??  What ?

you sure you have the right person ?  

I have no idea what your talking about.  

0 Likes

I am talking to @goodplay .

0 Likes

Here is another take on the RX6800XT launch: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Zn-rCditU

0 Likes

ah ok Sorry about that , it is hard sometimes to understand who the reply is for ,  or at least for me it is.

I need to brush up on " how to comments / reply  section works.   lol

No problem.
I do not think you did anything wrong. 
This new Forum doees not seem to work as well as the old one did. 
Good luck getting your AMD RX6000 series GPU. 
I am having tough enough time getting hold of a 5950X CPU and motherboard for it with confirmed working BIOS.
Thanks. 

0 Likes

There is a beta BIOS out for the X470 Crosshair VII that seems to be working pretty well.  Sounds like you can actually flash it back as well using the flashback feature USB port.

As far as the 6800/6800 XT "launch"  I would say it is officially worse than the RTX 3000 launch.  At least NVidia had cards to sell in all major channels on launch day, regardless of how few or how fast they sold.  AMD, from what I can tell, still hasn't sold any cards through Best Buy or B&H Photo.  Just a smattering on Amazon and Newegg and their own store.  Even my local store has had zero cards in so far since launch.  First time I can remember that happening.

0 Likes

0 Likes