cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

HP Omen AMD Upgrades

Hey so HP left me in the dust and won't confirm nor deny if the later AM4 processors like the Ryzen 7 and 9 series will work in my HP Omen 880-010z.  If anyone has been successful in upgrading they desktops, please let me know.  I understand the Ryzen 9 3000 series are backwards compatible with AM4 B350 motherboards.  My HP Omen has a Higos HP motherboard with a Ryzen 7 1700.  It can be upgraded to an 1800x, but the a Ryzen 9 is enticing to me.  I understand the regular gaming boards with a Ryzen 7 1700 can handle a Ryzen 9.  The 1800x is 105 watts I believe and so are the Ryzen 9's that I am looking at.  Can anyone confirm that the Bios won't hinder the upgrade?  If I try it out to see if it works, will it blow up per say?  If it doesn't work I will simply build a new computer from scratch with the new Ryzen 9 unless the Ryzen 9 can be return for a threadripper, given they are close in pricing compared to a Ryzen 7 to a Ryzen 9.  I can confirm that my 2080ti upgrade works in my Omen if that says anything.  Any help would be awesome.  Thanks guys!

Go Red woooo!!!!! Even though blue is my favorite color.  >.>

0 Likes
1 Solution

CPU upgraded will require a BIOS update and many A320 and B350 boards only have 16 MB BIOS chips so there is a tight squeeze to fit more CPUs into the space.

MSI has launched MAX series motherboard with new 32 MB BIOS chips to resolve the problem so more processors can be supported. Not sure about the other vendors.

View solution in original post

16 Replies