cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ibanggpu
Adept III
Adept III

How will Intel respond to the Ryzen 5 family?

Jump to solution

Intel finally got knocked out from their high perch, and the longer you fall, the more it hurts.

I honestly don't see them having a monopoly over cpus anymore with the entry level cpu ryzen 5 series being the perfect match to a mid-range gpu like the rx 470,rx 480, gtx 970, etc.

Intel currently doesnt have a viable solution for giving a mid range gpu and mid-range cpu that won't bottleneck it, their 400-600$ cpus are defeated by the affordable ryzen 5 series for mid range systems.

I fail to see how AMD will not dominate the market when spring  (the unofficial season to upgrade your system) comes. If someone is upgrading for a state of the art mid-range computer, why would they not want their cpu of choice to be from the ryzen 5 family to pair with their mid-range gpu?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: How will Intel respond to the Ryzen 5 family?

Jump to solution

Really? Well the next Macbook Pro in 2017 will feature AMD Raven Ridge APUs AMD Raven Ridge APU (Ryzen-Vega Combination) is Apple’s Biggest Weapon Inside MacBook Pro 2017 : Tec... and Stoney Ridge (really stupid name) and Pinnacle Ridge APUs are on AMD's own roadmap AMD Pinnacle Ridge CPUs And Raven Ridge APUs Details, Launching In 2018 | SegmentNext http://segmentnext.com/2017/03/15/amd-pinnacle-ridge-cpus-details/

AMD Pinnacle Ridge

So I don't know where you're getting that from. As to how Intel will respond, they don't need to. The i7-7700k will still be the performance champion in games for the price, especially after AMD confirmed Ryzen R5 and R3 will be dual CCX chips like the R7, and with Microsoft banning all Windows 7 and 8.1 users from updates if they use Ryzen, Kaby Lake, or future processors, many will stick with Skylake and Excavator.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
janagewen
Challenger
Challenger

Jump to solution

The motivation to buy something and travel something varies among different people have different purposes. Take travel for example, if you have chances to take a short trip in Asia, would love to travel Hong Kong, Taiwan or Japan? Allow me to be frank, I love to travel Hong Kong, even if it is quite small, and expense there is not low. Processor is also a product, have something similar with that! The performance based on benchmarking is not the only criterion for purchasers to choose such things rather than other things. Even though AMD Ryzen outperform Intel processors at degrees, but just as the brand of Intel, and the stable platform it provides. The end users would love to believe things from Intel, and always have an experimental purpose to use several AMD processors as evaluation. But AMD do the stupid thing again, position it at too high, and cost an average purchaser too lot. I think that is a stupid thing AMD do!

I suggest AMD, release some Sempron or Celeron level Ryzen based APU as soon as possible, when releasing Ryzen 7 and 5. Because improving performance or change microarchitecture are not the problems for the semi giant Intel!

ibanggpu
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

Didnt amd say they are no longer designing or producing next generation APU combos? I am pretty sure they are never doing it again for the foresseale future.

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Really? Well the next Macbook Pro in 2017 will feature AMD Raven Ridge APUs AMD Raven Ridge APU (Ryzen-Vega Combination) is Apple’s Biggest Weapon Inside MacBook Pro 2017 : Tec... and Stoney Ridge (really stupid name) and Pinnacle Ridge APUs are on AMD's own roadmap AMD Pinnacle Ridge CPUs And Raven Ridge APUs Details, Launching In 2018 | SegmentNext http://segmentnext.com/2017/03/15/amd-pinnacle-ridge-cpus-details/

AMD Pinnacle Ridge

So I don't know where you're getting that from. As to how Intel will respond, they don't need to. The i7-7700k will still be the performance champion in games for the price, especially after AMD confirmed Ryzen R5 and R3 will be dual CCX chips like the R7, and with Microsoft banning all Windows 7 and 8.1 users from updates if they use Ryzen, Kaby Lake, or future processors, many will stick with Skylake and Excavator.

View solution in original post

ibanggpu
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

I am sorry for being wrong. I was traumatized by APU and hated them ever since the incident.

Look at my profile pics, I updated it to show my sadness to u.

0 Kudos
janagewen
Challenger
Challenger

Jump to solution

Interesting, but not that likely! I am afraid that Apple would not choose AMD processor as the core of MacBook Pro 2017, to some extends, I believe Apple would also stick to Intel chips rather than ones from AMD.