brian71us
Journeyman III

How to maximize samsung 960 evo

I recently built a system with the following components:

ASROCK AB350 PRO4 ATX Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G

Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2 SSD

16 GB Crucial DDR4-2400 RAM

The Samsung documentation shows the drive being capable of up to 3,500 MB/s read speeds. However, a benchmarking application shows the read speed in the 1,850-1,870 MB/s range.

Is there any way to improve the performance of the SSD in this system?

If not then what CPU / MB would I need to purchase to get closer to the maximum read speed - say 3,000 - 3,500 MB/s ?

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Benchmark speeds will vary based on what you're doing at the time, from run to run, and from program to program, and advertised speeds are almost always achieved with a queue depth of 64 or 128, a situation not ever encountered in home usage. Don't worry about it, you're not losing any performance, just make sure you're using the latest driver, which of this post is 3.0.0.1802.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies

Benchmark speeds will vary based on what you're doing at the time, from run to run, and from program to program, and advertised speeds are almost always achieved with a queue depth of 64 or 128, a situation not ever encountered in home usage. Don't worry about it, you're not losing any performance, just make sure you're using the latest driver, which of this post is 3.0.0.1802.

0 Likes

Thanks!

Installing the NVMe driver made a huge difference. I'm up to 3,045 read and 1,808 write now.

0 Likes