Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

thedarthal
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: Stuttering that lasts about 5 seconds every 30 seconds

I am willing to upgrade so which part of my computer do you think it might be so I can upgrade?

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm not sure upgrading your components is a cure or cause of this issue. If you have been experiencing this for 9 months, I'm not sure the creators update would be the answer. I would do a complete re-install of Win 10. A full, clean install.

0 Kudos

Almost for sure a driver issue, otherwise overheating, or power issue.

First off, install something like HWMonitor, and see if anything is running hot when you're just sitting in Windows, or if your power supply voltages are all over the place.  At idle, your CPU should be pretty cool (well under 50°C for sure ... 30°C is what I'd expect), if your videocard is reporting temps, it should be well below 60°C ... maybe 45°C is what I'd expect.  If not, open the case, and make sure all the fans are spinning, and the heatsinks/radiators aren't coated in dust.  In fact, you should do that regardless.  If your case has fan-filters, clean them.  If you see anything that you think looks like a cloth filter, that's just dust, and shouldn't be there.

If that doesn't work to resolve the issue, I'd unplug everything inside the computer that it doesn't need to operate; CD/DVD/BR-ROMs, harddrives you don't need for gaming (which means, probably everything other than the OS drive), and any peripheral you don't need (maybe use your onboard sound for now instead of a PCIe card), etc.  Unplug things like USB printers and USB sticks as well, or USB hubs; plug your mouse and keyboard directly into the PC. I think you're running SLI?  If so, pull one of the cards.

From there, see if everything works now.  If so, then you have a driver issue with a device, or it's outright failing for some reason. Add hardware back one at a time until the problem comes back.

If removing hardware doesn't fix it, I'd pop over to your motherboard manufacturer's website and download every driver that applies to your computer; the first I'd install would be the chipset driver, as those ones tend not to be on Windows update.  Reboot the PC, and try a game.

If that doesn't fix it, pop over to whoever makes your videocard, and install the newest driver for that.  If the driver has an option to "do a clean install", then try to use that option.  Reboot, re-test.

If that doesn't work, one by one install your motherboard drivers.  Try to skip the bloatware stuff (Gigabyte Overclock Master or EZ Fan Control type stuff) which is usually in something like "Utilities", try and stick to the drivers in the hardware sections (Audio, LAN, SATA/RAID, etc).

5 second long stutters are crazy, how you lived with that for 9 months is craziness.

0 Kudos
thedarthal
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

thanks for replying. trying this right now I will get back to you, and I have come to the conclusion that it does it on every game besides overwatch which is really weird to me.

0 Kudos