cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

mjs43
Journeyman III

Freesync, if my gpu on 90 fps will the monitor go to 90hz even if it is a 60hz monitor?

So I just ordered a displayport so that I can get freesync for my computer because fortnite is stuttering and screen tearing because my gpu is higher fps then my monitors refresh rate = 60hz and I've been looking at this freesync thing all day and I'm just wondering, My LG monitor has a 60hz refresh rate and I have a AMD Radeon RX 580 that pumps out more than 60fps so it's tearing and I've been playing with vsync but I'm tired of the input lag so I'm getting freesync in a sense. If the graphics card lets say is at 90 fps, will it pull the monitor refresh rate to 90hz even if it's a 60hz monitor? Pls help and I'm the big bad at computers, still learning, sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

0 Likes
1 Solution
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hello. 

A monitor is usually listed at is maximum refresh rate, so a 60 Hz monitor will not go above 60 Hz Freesync or not.  Freesync monitors will usually list the "FreeSync range of the monitor.  A 144Hz monitor might have a FreeSync range of 40-144Hz for example.  That means, the monitor will match the fps of the card if the fps are between 40 and 144.

Anytime you go above the refresh rate of a monitor you will get tearing.  If you are tired of playing with Vsync enabled, you could try setting the frame rate target control (FRTC) in the adrenaline drivers.  The setting is found under the global gaming section, and allows you to set a maximum frame rate.  Try enabling that and playing with VSync off.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No. FreeSync and G-Sync compensate for frame rates lower than the monitor's set refresh rate. It cannot raise the refresh rate of your monitor.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hello. 

A monitor is usually listed at is maximum refresh rate, so a 60 Hz monitor will not go above 60 Hz Freesync or not.  Freesync monitors will usually list the "FreeSync range of the monitor.  A 144Hz monitor might have a FreeSync range of 40-144Hz for example.  That means, the monitor will match the fps of the card if the fps are between 40 and 144.

Anytime you go above the refresh rate of a monitor you will get tearing.  If you are tired of playing with Vsync enabled, you could try setting the frame rate target control (FRTC) in the adrenaline drivers.  The setting is found under the global gaming section, and allows you to set a maximum frame rate.  Try enabling that and playing with VSync off.

While all the other information given is great and helpful. I thought I would add this from my experience. I find that monitors are typically advertised at either or both their Native refresh rate and/or their maximum. Native meaning the rate the product was designed to run best at. For my monitor it is 60hz @ 1440p (even though it supports other refresh rates and resolutions) and mine has a FreeSync range of 44-76, meaning that 76 is the actual highest my monitor can go. Using freesync you would target to keep frames in that range with CHILL or FRTC. If running V-Sync you would set it to 60 as that is the native speed. No software or setting as already mentioned can make your monitor run faster than the hardware is capable of.

0 Likes