cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Kurbiss
Adept I

FPS drops even though no component reaches 100% usage

Recently I've been getting FPS drops in some of my favourite games, which is a big problem for me, as I'm a competitive player.

I've been looking at a lot of forums and never found a solution so I'm asking here.

I download MSI afterburner to get a better view on my components usage and it appears that when I get FPS drops, none of them reaches 100% usage. My CPU (Ryzen 5 1400) sits around 60% usage and my GPU (RX 570) usage actually drops a little bit, surprisingly.

Important to say that the FPS drops occur when there is a lot of shooting in-game.

(Red circles on the screenshots show when I got an FPS drop)

Kurbiss_1-1613736071394.png

Kurbiss_0-1613735726133.png

(sorry it's in french, puissance=power / utilisation=usage / horloge=clock)

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem is ?

0 Likes
2 Solutions

With that one thread at 12.19% usage, yes.  12.5% exactly corresponds to 100% usage on the thread.  While your CPU has headroom overall, that game isn't spreading the load sufficiently to use it.  You need faster single-core speed to improve performance in that game.

If you were to upgrade to something like the R5 3600, you'd probably net a 30%+ increase out of the box.  In the US, you can get that now for $200.  A R3 3300X would give you similar results (maybe better due to single-CCX latency), but they're hard to find.  I did see one site (search for :shopblt") claiming they had some incoming on the 5th, with a price of $121, but I'd take that with a grain of salt.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

You need to update the BIOS before replacing the CPU.

When some site says the 3600 "needs" 3200 RAM, they're saying it gets its best performance that way.  The higher the RAM speed, the higher the Infinity Fabric speed, up to a point, which increases overall performance.  So you definitely want the faster RAM, but you don't need it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
24 Replies