cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

wewlad
Journeyman III

Fix for bad, crackling audio with installing radeon display drivers

Not a question but I have found a fix for a really annoying issue.

Desktop Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 Pulse

RAM: 16GB DDR4

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-f

PSU: Corsair TX 650M

Cooling: 2 case fans/ AMD wraith stealth cooler

BIOS: American Megatrends 06/08/19

After I installed my display drivers, I used to have frequent bluescreens (video tdr failures). These seemed to have fixed themselves updating to the latest version of windows.

However I was still stuck with a crackling audio, after a lot of troubleshooting and asking around someone suggested I changed the PCIE slot mode in the BIOS under onboard devices to Gen 3.0 mode instead of auto (which was probably defaulting to 4.0 for the card). This fixed my problem.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Jasso
Journeyman III

thanks for sharing. I was also able to get rid of crackling sound by changing the PCI setting from AUTO to 3rd generation. My setup had Asus ROG B550i and NZXT H1 with rizer to AMD Radeon RX 6800XT.

0 Likes
goosethesecond
Adept III

Interesting, I have nearly the same setup as you but with an ASRock Pro4m X570 board instead which does support PCI Express 4.0 and my XFX RX5700 is a 4.0 card like yours is as well.

For the first time ever, I noticed crackling audio in Cyberpunk 2077 and I knew it's the kind of crackling you get from local processing/memory related issues but it's never happened in other games. 

You're saying switching from AUTO to 3.0 fixes this? But won't that decrease my memory bandwidth to the card since it's actually using the 4.0 bus?

0 Likes