cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

First custom Vega 64 edition surfaces (ASUS): Drinks even MORE POWER!

You remember how California banned plasma screen TVs because of the power draw? I have a feeling Vega64 may be next...

http://wccftech.com/asus-rog-strix-radeon-rx-vega-64-gets-reviewed/

ASUS ROG STRIX RX Vega 64 system power and temperature results. (Image Credits: Hexus)

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: First custom Vega 64 edition surfaces (ASUS): Drinks even MORE POWER!

Image running two of these Vega 64 cards in Crossfire!
If they would even fit on your motherboard ...
It would be good in winter (somewhere near the poles) to sit in a room with  > 1KW power consumption I guess.
That's the power consumption of a single bar on an electric heater!
I am not even sure my AX1200i Power Supply could take it.

The power draw and 2.5 slots required is too much for me. 2.5 slots mean you  lose yet another PCIe expansion slot on you motherboard.

I much prefer a single Vega Liquid Edition card. At least it is 2 slots wide. It should run as well as this.

If it doesn't you could always increase the size of the radiator the Liquid Edition  and add a few more fans on the radiator.
Maybe AIB's for the Vega 64 will concentrate on "Extreme Liquid Coolers" like this.

I really hope the AIB card manufacturers will concentrate on selecting especially fast HBM2 chips, overclocking and undervolting Vega 56, and modifying it's BIOS to increase power limit instead.

A watercooled. Vega 56 with faster HBM2 and increased BIOS power limit would probably be a good choice.

Gamers Nexus/Buildzoid  are investigating that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Challenger
Challenger

My theory is 6 months ago AMD discovered that Vega 64 was only going to be a bit better than the GTX 1070. There was no way it was going to be as good as the GTX 1080 never mind the Titan X. So they overclocked the cr*p out of it. Resulting in high power draw and temperatures.

I can't imagine the AMD Partners are too happy with them. There's pretty much nothing left on the bone for ASUS or Sapphire to work with. It's the kind of card you want to come with a 3 year warranty. I can still picture my 2600XT going up in smoke.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

HBM2 let them down for sure. News about that back at the start of February, 6 months ago I think.

I think this is one reason why Vega is late.

Look at the Memory Bandwidth of Vega 64 versus R9 FuryX. It is lower than the Fury X.

I think that might have cost maybe 3-6% in performance.

So what do you have left to push up performance ...Push GPU core frequency up. or turn on new architecure  features.

Well we know about the GPU Clock increase ... information on what the new features are doing for gaming right now seem to be MIA.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Draw Stream Binning Rasterizer was supposed to help both Performance and Power

There was lots of talk about it. Where is it?

Where are the examples of it running in a game and showing any performance improvement at all?

Is it even in the Drivers used run the Benchmarks for Reviews.

No one seems to really know.

PCPer know it was not enabled in Vega FE indicate they were told it might give a 10% performance improvement in games running at 4K Resolution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

The fact that there seems to have been an "Emergency Late Minute Switch" in the way the Vega56  Cards were released to Third Party Reviewers does not feel good for my interest in Vega64 Liquid Edition Cards. Last minute the emphasis was pushed over to the Vega 56 Reviews.

Third Party Reviewers are really being pushed to the limit it seems to me.

Wattman was plain broken in the Vega  56 Review Testing for example.

I just watched a YouTube Video from some card reviewers and I got the impression AMD might just get a "Radeon Rebellion" for real from them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I am an "Overclocker for fun".

Now I don't mess with LN2 Cooling ... but I do run lots of GPU benchmarks, try out more practical "special" cooling options if they are around , and I am keen on Crossfire / MultiGPU. I was really looking forward to trying out Vega 64 Liquid Cooled. Been "Waiting for Vega".

The more I am seeing on the Performance versus Power Draw on Vega 64 Liquid Cooled though, my heart just sinks.

Either Vega 64 it is broken or AMD actually think Power Draw like this is acceptable.

Possibly having to upgrade your Power Supply to power RX Vega 64 Liquid seems to have been dropped from the whole FreeSync versus GySync argument.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

AdoredTV has stated in the review that they are in a situation where they would run Vega64 Liquid Edition Card,  in "Power Saving Mode"  because the performance increase by moving to Balanced Mode, and especially the 200W Power Increase moving from Balanced to Turbo mode for a few FPS more is just not worth it.

Just think how bad that is. If you spend lots of money on a High End Liquid Cooled RX Vega 64 card and you find out that their is really no point to run it in Turbo Mode.

AdoredTV was testing Prey running on 1 card.

One RX Vega 64 Liquid card in Turbo mode was pulling 569W running at 114FPS versus a GTX1080Ti running at 385W hitting 136 FPS.

The GTX1080Ti was shown to be 30% higher performance at the same power draw in Prey. That is simply way too far behind.

Prey is the same Title that AMD were showing a pair of RX Vega 64's running in Crossfire at Computex!

So if those cards were running in Turbo Mode, they could have been pushing on for ~1.14 KW of power for the demo alone.

It seems like that is a good candidate for an Internet Meme for Nvidia once they catch on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

As for the Vega 56 it looks good against the GTX 1070 for the launch price, but not so good against the GTX1080 if the Vega 56 price goes up.

I keep asking for more information about DSBR Situation, drivers, any known issues that may affect these results.

What's happening with Vega FE Gaming Drivers for example.

Unless things change soon, I think many high end gamers will just go out and buy a GTX1080Ti which costs the same as the Vega 64 Liquid Edition anyhow.

I still hang on for more information about the gaming performance and improvements because I am interested in the Compute Performance as well, many others do not care about that though. 

This is not what I want to see, and I still hope that AMD will officially respond to the initial Third Party benchmarks and the reviews.
The more I think about it the more I feel they really need to respond.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

I was planning on buying Vega even if it was only equal in performance. When early benchmarks finally leaked, and I saw the performance. I gave up and decided to go "all in" on NVidia and buy a gsync monitor, which I really like btw. The vega power draw is a bit absurd. We need AMD to keep nvidia in check with competitive products, and it's not looking good.

I mean look at what AMD did to intel. Intel is releasing the i7 8700k on Monday, which is a 6/12 CPU, and a i5 6/6 CPU version. This would not be happening without Ryzen. I will be building a new computer based on 1700/1700x or 8700k. I am just waiting on the benchmarks.