cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

pradeepisro49
Journeyman III

Environment for GPU Computing

Hey guys I am new to GPU Computing, I will be using AMD opteron processor and AMD firepro W8100 GPU. I am in a dilemma of whether choosing Windows Operating System or Ubuntu to do GPU computing? Tell me why should I choose it.

0 Likes
13 Replies
rebelyell
Exemplar

Re: Environment for GPU Computing

freebsd

0 Likes
pradeepisro49
Journeyman III

Thanks for the reply. But I have been using Ubuntu 16.04 for a while, but ran into driver issues causing it get stuck in a login loop. I got fed up with it and downgraded to 15.10.

Im thinking of moving to Windows 10 which has great driver support

0 Likes
whiskey-foxtrot
Forerunner

To add to rebelyell's response, it also depends on the scope of your project and your resources. You're working with an Opteron which is great to experiment with virtualization if you decided to go that route - this would give you both Windows/Linux or BSD as a base. I'm sure you've also looked into AMD's own open-source tools and libraries (http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/ ) which work on both Windows and Linux  so again, it depends on your scope and what you're comfortable with. If you're just starting out, I'd recommend spending time with both environments to give them a fair evaluation.

Personally I'm waiting for EPYC/Vega to start a gradual migration away from my current Xeon/Tesla base servers.

rebelyell
Exemplar

yea , ive seen alot threads on login loop , i didnt read much but it can be fixed. i think it revolves around the grub version and or powerd.gz file . dont quote me but its fixable...

0 Likes
mr_unknown
Adept III

Hello pradeepisro49@gmail.com,

General computing with GPGPU is an interesting thing, in order to get in touch with it, you'd better decide what kinds of development tools you want to use, and programme for what first of all. For AMD GPGPU you have only one interface to programme with, OpenCL, most Linux distros and Windows support such programming. But for the driver support and development tools qualities, I suggest you to choose Microsoft Windows, but it provides you the best driver support and outstanding free development tools, such as Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition. As a workstation, you could choose the Windows 10 Education, that might be a good choice with a fair price comparing with Windows 10 Pro and Home.  

0 Likes
pradeepisro49
Journeyman III

Is there any performance degradation using Windows over Linux or BSD

0 Likes
rebelyell
Exemplar

i tend to agree with mr.unknown .. the only thing i frown on is win 10 with so many isues, and the issues with the 480 cards drivers and 290 cards on win 10. im win 7 not budging.  if it was 2 or maybe 3 years from now linux should be basically top shelf ready.. but for now... eeeh windows.

0 Likes
rebelyell
Exemplar

windows uses alot of ram usualy 2gb too 3.5gb. linux  500mb too 1gb.

windows on mine win 7 uses 2-4% cpu  ... linux almost zero.

linux out performs windows in gaming with correct setup but not with vm gaming.

now if you run vm on linux you run into other issues

windows 7 out performs windows 10 in gaming, most likely due to win 7 having less garbage running inside or svchost.exe sucking on internet which uses more cpu and ram to process the interrupts of the all the packets.

0 Likes
pradeepisro49
Journeyman III

Is operating going to be a real bottleneck for GPU Computing

0 Likes