cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

brooket
Journeyman III

Dual monitor set up for AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT with 8GB GDDR6 dedicated graphics memory card?

I have the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT with 8GB GDDR6 dedicated graphics memory card in my new PC from Microsoft. How do I run dual monitors on this video card for gaming when there's only one HDMI port and maybe three DVI ports?

0 Likes
3 Replies
RPX100
Miniboss

Just to make sure you know the differences between DVI and DisplayPort:

https://www.showmecables.com/blog/post/hdmi-vs.-displayport-vs.-dvi-vs.-vga:-what%E2%80%99s-the-diff... 

DisplayPort is the way to go with current gen tech and high resolutions and/or refresh rates.

DVI is quite old and not used anymore for reasons you can see if you read thru the link I provided.

So if you want to use it without any adapters, then your displays should have DisplayPort as well

(version 1.4a or newer, make sure to use a cable with the same standard too!).

If your current display all use HDMI or the even older DVI, then it might be time to upgrade them.

Otherwise you would have to invest into active adapters/converters (no stable results guaranteed).

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes

So does the DP to HDMI adapter need to be active rather than passive?

0 Likes

The RX5700XT Reference card from AMD uses 3 DisplayPort (DP) outputs and 1 HDMI output.

If both monitors have DP inputs use those to get the best resolutions. But if one or none of the 2 monitors have DP inputs only HDMI then you will need to get a DP>HDMI adapter.

Otherwise you can connect one HDMI and one DP Monitor at the same time.

Then go to Windows Settings Display and choose at the bottom how you want to run the second display:

1- Extension from the first display (This means the Windows desktop is extended to both Monitors)

2-Duplicate from the first display. (This means that a duplicate Windows Desktop is on the second Monitor)

0 Likes