cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

pokester
MVP

Re: Doom Eternal 20.4.1 driver for HDR still not working?

Jump to solution

I know HDR was working on my Polaris card last time I had the card in my HTPC. However it really depends on what card you have. I have see many complaints about this on the Navi based cards. 

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Jump to solution

pokester wrote:

I know HDR was working on my Polaris card last time I had the card in my HTPC. However it really depends on what card you have. I have see many complaints about this on the Navi based cards. 

Funding for new cards is problematic with digital coin miners driving up the cost.

Last procurement was a large media rack for my CD/DVD/BD/game media. Set me back 2.5 franklins.

0 Likes
ecgonza
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Just to be clear, I have a Ryzen 2600x, Vega 64, Windows 10 (latest version), 16gb, using displayport with a 34" LG ultra wide that DOES NOT support HDR..  I tried DDU to uninstall and re-install my 20.4.1 drivers - still same issue.  Perhaps if I switch to HDMI instead of DisplayPort it will make a difference?

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Jump to solution

HDMI is no solution as it is too bandwidth starved to be of use

I wiped windows and installed it fresh and my box is stable with 20.4.1 and my RX 480

Waiting on a replacement R9 Fury for more testing

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

Have you tried a clean install of version 19.12.1 ?

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

Jump to solution

I'm not sure if this will help... but I recently upgraded from a Studio Colour to HDR10+ Display.

Now as best as I can tell the *only* time it enables HDR Modes is whenever the Display is switched to YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:2:0., this allows it to run in Native 10/12bit per Channel; where-as using RGB 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:4:4, while being listed as "Supported" automatically keeps resetting back to 8bit per Channel.

Windows 10 will see this as 8-bit Colour with Dithering., and I think this is where things go a bit awry. 

Remember not every HDR Display *actually* supports every HDR Format and Windows 10 (DXGI) doesn't automatically convert to the format your Display DOES Support, rather this is down to the Drivers. 

AMD's Vulkan Drivers DO NOT support YCbCr Conversion., perhaps the Display Engine doesn't on the Architecture; I'm not sure which is at "Fault" per se, I just know it's listed as False on the Vulkan Info.

Switching to the Lower (i.e. TV Pixel Formats) at least for me, allows HDR to work flawlessly... and before anyone says "Oh but the Bandwidth" ... bare in mind this is using HDMI 2.0b (which both my Samsung UERU7470XXL and RX 5700 XT have).

Doom Eternal' HDR (despite the message saying it doesn't work on AMD Drivers) ... does provided you have a Native 10+ bit Channel Colour. 

ecgonza
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I finally got Doom Eternal to work.  I was so hung up on the Bethseda's message that AMD does not support HDR, I was not looking at the error message afterwards "...xinput1_3.dll not found".

After searching for this I found this link - and just downloaded and updated the june directx update.   And now Doom Eternal runs.  I am not running with HDR, but I am not missing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/fm4f6w/if_doom_eternal_is_crashing_on_launch_pc_try_this/ 

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 ship with XInput 1.1 - 1.3

Windows 10 also ships with XInput 1.4

So why it isn't present is odd... but I'd recommend using the one out of Windows/System32 rather than from the DirectX9 Update. 

As I noted above, HDR will ONLY enable if you've enabled Windows HDR (System > Display > Use HDR) AND you're running in 10bit Colour Mode., which the latter you can check in Radeon Settings > Display > Colour Depth

Now as people have mentioned., you'll often find that RGB 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:4:4 simply will not allow you to run in 10/12bit Colour.

You will likely have to switch to YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.

Something else I've found interesting is Windows 10 or the Radeon Drivers (not sure which isn't supporting it) doesn't allow automatic switching if your Display allows it with Input Signal Plus... this allows you to switch between SDR/HDR without manually doing so, which will dramatically improve your desktop experience; as the Windows Desktop isn't exactly designed for HDR; and thus you can get some nasty banding and artefacts when running it.

Another issue I've found with Windows 10 is that it halves your HDR Range... that is to say that the Xbox One X (and Smart TV) are perfectly fine and capable of 2160p60 with up to HDR1600, but on Windows 10 (via my RX 5700 XT) this is reduced to HDR800.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

Is the 10 bit requirement a new AMD thing? I know I had my Polaris card running 8 bit dithering and so do my Nvidia cards. With HDR some games run better with one format vs the other. 

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

Jump to solution

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-3-1 

Have you tried this driver.

It's a Doom driver with added vulkan instructions.

I don't have and HDR monitor so haven't tried it myself

0 Likes