cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

felichella
Adept II

Does non native render resolution with native resolution affects quality?

I´m seeing some games have an option where is possible use a non native render resolution but keep native resolution for ex Call of Duty WW2 is one of those examples.

I chose 1280x720 for render resolution and kept native monitor resolution 1920x1080p and i m sure it improves the performance in game play.

My question is simple: Does those changes affects the image quality?

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Does non native render resolution with native resolution affects quality?

Yup, it's going to render at a 2.25x lower resolution and get stretched out.

felichella
Adept II

Thanks for reply black_zion!

In my situation u prefered to decrease graphic detail for ex for medium detail or custom and keep the native render and the monitor resolution at 1080p?

0 Kudos

That's a subjective question I can't answer, though I would say rendering it at 1280x720 with higher details, given its relationship to 1920x1080 is an even 1.5x1.5, would look better than native 1920x1080 at lower details.

felichella
Adept II

Thanks 1 more time black_zion.

Your words make sense and i ll keep that relationship between resolutions on higher details.

Your explanation was very clear.

0 Kudos
kahless_uk
Elite

Yeah, using render resolution sliders like these in games allows the 3D elements of the game to drawn at a lower resolution and then upscaled by the game (using various methods) while keeping UI elements (like crosshairs, health bars and on screen text) at native resolution rather than running the entire thing at a lower resolution and possibly making said UI elements illegible.

loads of console games do this, it's especially handy there because most TV sets that consoles are plugged into have terrible scaling (either due to artifacts or increased input latency).

COD WW2 does have a temporal upscaler built in (if you set in game antialiasing to SMAA T2X Filmic) which is arguably better than using a lower resolution as you're not throwing away much image quality to get better performance (it's labelled as pre-T2X resolution, it works by rendering only some of the pixels in each frame and then blending the results to create full resolution images, similar to checkerboard rendering although COD's implementation only works on the columns not the lines so it's not strictly speaking checkerboarding) that's how the console versions manage to output 1080p (900p on Xbox one as I understand it) at 60fps without too much trouble in that game

felichella
Adept II

Thank u kahless_uk!

I used that SMAA T2X Filmic and native resolution 1080p with 720p render resolution with Vsync On because i hate tearing on image mostly games.

Other settings was running in normal graphic detail on my Sapphire Nitro R7 370 4 Gb and game was running smooth at 60 Fps.

Obviously a good game optimization is important to make us happy.

Your information was very important to make me understand that thing called render resolution.

Thank u both black_zion and kahless_uk.

0 Kudos