cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Re: CREDIBLE RUMOR: AMD delaying Ryzen 4000 series CPUs until CES 2021 due to "lack of competition from Intel"

I actually did just that when I got my 3700x I tried the prism on it and terrible. The processor was hot and throttled and I have awesome airflow in my case.

I had the same issue with last year when I got my 3600 with the stealth. So I had replace it with a simple 212 evo and it was fantastic. 

So when I got the prism and saw how much bigger it was than the stealth had been I figured move the 212 evo to the 3700x and just put the prism on the 3600.

I did just that and the 3600 was still to hot with the prism. I ended up buying another  212 evo.

The AMD coolers are not worth more than maybe 20 bucks. 

I think they should just drop the price of the CPU's 10-20 bucks and just let you buy one adequate or actually give you competent cooler. 

There are some chips that are cool enough with the stock cooler. Many as reported over and over in these forums are not. There seems to be a pretty big variance with thermals and ability to hit boost clocks in what passes validation. 

This is why I did not go with more than a 3700x I have seem several videos where 3800x's don't really sustain enough boost to be worth the extra money. On top of that, the 65w part should have better longevity as well as being cheaper to operate. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: CREDIBLE RUMOR: AMD delaying Ryzen 4000 series CPUs until CES 2021 due to "lack of competition from Intel"

Interesting - maybe there is a big variation in Ryzen 3600 or the Wraith Prism Cooler Quality or both?
Perhaps different motherboard BIOS voltages applied to the CPU?
The build I am talking about is here:
Libertas

I am not disagreeing with your experience or opinion. 
Maybe if you posted your build information we could discuss differences in the builds?
Not right now though I am afraid.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Pretty much my experience but my 3600 would hit 88, 89 even with the prism. About 4 degrees better than the stealth. Still not to my liking. You throttle in games you get stuttering among other issue. Obviously I know that you already know that better than me. I am glad that a tried and true cooler like the 212 evo for 30-35 bucks does the trick. I don't overclock any of my 3xxx series processors. Many of the IMHO best tech sites Linus, Stephen, Jay all agree it is basically not worth it, with the way the architecture works. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

You probably have a problem somewhere, because reviewer are getting close to 20° less than your prism on a 3600 (but they agree the stealth can't keep up with Zen2, it is designed for Zen & Zen+ only).

Even if they tested outside a case, there is no way it will get around +20° inside a case.

Intel Box Cooler vs. AMD Wraith Series - TechSpot 

Other review is stating that basicly the Prism is enough even for the 12 core 3900X, getting better cooling won't result in dramatic performance increase. And the prism is enough to reach AMD promised clock. But you're only gaining 50 to 100Mhz if you're buying a better cooling solution.

So getting a new cooler benefit mostly temperature for the CPU and by doing it silently for you ears

Ryzen 9 3900X: Wraith Prism RGB Stock Cooler vs. 360mm AIO Liquid Cooler - TechSpot 

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

Nope no problem as my temps with the EVO 212 are identical as what are typically reported with the prism. More likely I have a prism with the base not flat as has widely been reported. 

0 Kudos