cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Compatible case for Threadripper 1950X + ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME X399 motherboard (E-ATX Form Factor)

Jump to solution

Good morning.

I am planning to build my first AMD based system, using an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X CPU.  I'm considering using either the ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME sTR4 AMD X399 motherboard (E-ATX Form Factor) or the Asrock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming motherboard (ATX Form Factor). I also plan to use my current video card, an EVGA Geforce GTX 690.

Looking at the pictures of the ASUS board, I see that the rear I/O connections are enclosed in a large shroud that would keep it from fitting into any case.

And both boards have their audio components placed between the PCIe slots and the back edge of the board and covered by a shroud. And from the pictures it looks as though my video card will not fit into either one.

What type of computer case will accommodate these motherboards? 

The Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition Full Tower ATX Case claims, in it's spec sheet, to be an E-ATX case. I contacted Corsair but sadly the person I spoke to was unable to confirm whether it is an ATX or E-ATX.

Can anyone help me confirm the compatibility of these various components?

Thank you very much in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Compatible case for Threadripper 1950X + ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME X399 motherboard (E-ATX Form Factor)

Jump to solution

That question would be best asked on the ASUS forums.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Compatible case for Threadripper 1950X + ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME X399 motherboard (E-ATX Form Factor)

Jump to solution

How about the Antec P380?  It's huge, it can fit large radiators at the front and top, and it has a large rebate right now at Newegg making it $65. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129218

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Hello black_zion.

I appreciate your recommendation but I still need to know if this case, in combination with either of these 2 motherboards, is compatible with my specific video card, an EVGA Geforce GTX 690.

Also, I'm concerned about the large shroud around the rear I/O connectors on the ASUS board. Do you know where I can find photos showing the rear side, I/O areas in particular, of the ASUS board, installed in this case or any other ATX or E-ATX case.

Or do you know of anyone who has built a system using either of these motherboards that I could talk to?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

That question would be best asked on the ASUS forums.

View solution in original post

Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Actually, the cover you speak of is the latest decoration for motherboards.  My Gigabyte X370 board has a similar shroud, and presents no

problems for mounting video cards.(Except for the slot closest to the processor. My cards have a small tab next to the pci-e card edge that

would hit the plastic on that slot only).

As for the case, I'm using a Cooler Master Cosmos II case which is ideal for any large build.  It has more than enough room for you're

extended ATX board, as well as a separated section at the bottom for the power supply and a radiator/drive bays.  It will hold just about anything

you want to put in it.  It also has a vertical card mount for remote mounting a pci-e (single slot) card off of the motherboard with a riser cable. And

enough pci-e slots next to the board for a double wide graphics card in the bottom most slot.  It's a little on the expensive side, at $350, but if you

can find one or wait, the 25th anniversary case has two beautiful, angled, full size tempered glass doors.

0 Kudos