cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Chinese company Xiaomi launches AMD Renoir powered laptop range UNDER $700, but will anyone outside China get them?

And this just F^@$%$%$# P^%*$%^#$@ me off. Here in the USA, and in the EU as well, any laptop near this well spec'd for the price, you have to settle for a garbage screen, garbage battery life, garbage storage/RAM, or garbage processor, or a combination of them. But look at the specs, including the facts you get an 100% AdobeRGB screen and upwards of 12 hours of battery life...The RedmiBook 16 with the 4700U looks like an absolute dream for anyone not looking for a heavy gaming oriented laptop...

RedmiBook 13RedmiBook 13RedmiBook 13RedmiBook 14RedmiBook 14RedmiBook 14RedmiBook 16RedmiBook 16RedmiBook 16
CPUAMD Ryzen 5 4500UAMD Ryzen 5 4500UAMD Ryzen 7 4700UAMD Ryzen 5 4500UAMD Ryzen 5 4500UAMD Ryzen 7 4700UAMD Ryzen 5 4500UAMD Ryzen 5 4500UAMD Ryzen 7 4700U
RAM8GB16GB16GB8GB16GB16GB8GB16GB16GB
SSD512GB512GB1TB512GB512GB512GB512GB512GB512GB
Display13 inches (1920 x 1080)13 inches (1920 x 1080)13 inches (1920 x 1080)14 inches (1920 x 1080)14 inches (1920 x 1080)14 inches (1920 x 1080)16.1 inches (1920 x 1080)16.1 inches (1920 x 1080)16.1 inches (1920 x 1080)
Dimensions307.3 x 195 x 17.8mm307.3 x 195 x 17.8mm307.3 x 195 x 17.8mm320 x 203 x 16.85mm320 x 203 x 16.85mm320 x 203 x 16.85mm367.20 x 232.85 x 17.55mm367.20 x 232.85 x 17.55mm367.20 x 232.85 x 17.55mm
Weight1.23kg1.23kg1.23kg1.2kg1.2kg1.2kg1.8kg1.8kg1.8kg
Battery40Wh40Wh40Wh40Wh40Wh40Wh46Wh46Wh46Wh
Pricing$532$560$700$532$560$630$532$560$630
0 Likes
12 Replies

Forgot to add the source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-4000-xiaomi-redmibook-laptops

0 Likes

Yes and every Chinese laptop will have hardwired spyware so that China knows you are being a good citizen.

Just joking. If sold in the USA or EU I am sure the laptops would be inspected before approval for Retail sale.

Yes the price is cheap in China. But I imagine once it is exported to the USA & EU the price will be increased quite a bit to make more profit plus the cost of shipping and taxes and tariffs added will further increase the total price.

If it is sold that cheaply, then the laptop may have inferior quality electronic parts installed to keep the price down.

0 Likes

Not necessarily, remember the Aggressively Priced AMD Ryzen 5-Powered Huawei MateBook D 14 Hits The U.S... AT WALMART!‌ ? It had a Ryzen 2500U, which was fairly slow because it was still Zen 1, but other than that had stellar specs for $600, including Windows 10 Signature Edition. They don't have the big names like Samsung or ASUS so they can't use the name to charge more, and even retail you can see about $600 in parts even for the high end 16 with the 4700U, so OEM prices, it's still a nice profit margin likely of $100-$150 for them and $100-$150 for the store.

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

Yes and every Chinese laptop will have hardwired spyware so that China knows you are being a good citizen.

Just joking. If sold in the USA or EU I am sure the laptops would be inspected before approval for Retail sale.

Yes the price is cheap in China. But I imagine once it is exported to the USA & EU the price will be increased quite a bit to make more profit plus the cost of shipping and taxes and tariffs added will further increase the total price.

If it is sold that cheaply, then the laptop may have inferior quality electronic parts installed to keep the price down.

Personally I wouldn't touch this trojan horse. Remember Iphones are 'so secure' that the FBI has to ask Apple to hack them. You don't think China has built a backdoor or nuclear option into these babies and priced them at a loss to get them into as many hands and government offices as possible?

Actually that was a Good point. Sell a laptop at a loss for greater distribution in the US market if it should have some sort of spyware involved.

Yet, Lenovo is Chinese owned and made. But in my opinion, they are probably under much stricter US scrutiny since they are so wide spread in the US market. Here is an example of a rumor about Lenovo spying: Lenovo tumbles after report about alleged Chinese spy chips 

But an unknown Chinese computer manufacturer trying to enter the US market will probably be under even stricter scrutiny by the US Government since the US may not have much information about the company.

Came across this today in an article by WCCFTech.

But even though Lenovo had the Superfish fiasco, but ASUS had Shadow Hammer, HP installed their own spyware named HP Touchpoint Analytics Client, Windows 10, Android, Google, and Apple are their own spyware in a sense given the amount of data they collect, and it goes on and on. Honestly your information is much more likely to be breached at a store or website compared to your computer itself.

0 Likes

True about the Spyware in US made products but when the Spyware concerns foreign made products whose Governments are hostile to ours it is a big deal.

Plus most of the US Spyware is governed by US Laws whereas foreign Spyware usually are hidden and not made known to US Users and US Government and thus not under US Laws (Illegal). 

Those that hack website or store etc are in it mainly to illegally gain financial gains (money) and not to try and cause problems with the US Government.

Hostile Government could use the data from Spyware to do all types of actions against the US Government and its Users (those they feel are important to them).

ASUS, HP, Windows 10, Android, Google and Apple spyware is generally concerned about advertising or getting information useful to their respective companies that doesn't involve espionage against US government or important Users with sensitive connections to large or small companies. Plus if they are caught using illegal Spyware then they will be in big trouble with the US Laws.

Also, hopefully, US companies that use Telemetry or spyware are not hostile towards the US and its government.

NOTE: Wasn't trying to hijack this thread about Chinese spyware. It was just made as a humorous comment and I wasn't serious about the statement. I guess I will be more careful in the future when I post a humorous comment.

0 Likes

Chinese spyware was the first thing I thought of..lol. As a point of interest..the UK looks like it is siding with the US to block 5g from Chinese telecoms...for the same reason. China is not what it was 20 years ago..and building islands in the middle of the ocean to base military units doesn't make the world feel warm and fuzzy.

0 Likes

Neither does the phrase "Prepare for war". Thing is, they're the most powerful nation on the planet. They can do anything they want and the rest of the world will just bark like a tethered dog.

And to go back to topic a bit, it does surprise me that there aren't more "store brand" laptops around. Walmart, for example, has the EVOO brand, and you get a lot of laptop for the price. It's a wonder Best Buy, Microcenter, even Newegg and Amazon don't have their own brand of machines.

0 Likes

I have a MacBook, so at least I know what to expect with it

0 Likes

I have some Xiaomi phones with dual SIM card slots I used to use before I got a new iPhone

0 Likes