cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

pokester
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Central topic for AMD random black screen/no signal issue, with power and reset buttons not working

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion. If the OP's information was good for you then that is a good thing. And yes there is proper specific place for this discussion. That would be here. https://community.amd.com/community/support-forums/processors  This is where you would talk about your CPU and Motherboard issues. This wasn't pointed out to badger the OP but for the OP to get traffic from more people likely being able to help the situation. 

juraj_m_
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Central topic for AMD random black screen/no signal issue, with power and reset buttons not working

I have "ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4" and their "F-Stream Tuning" utility (for managing fans, overclocking and monitoring) is also causing this. If I have it running, my PC won't wake up from sleep or hibernation. When I turn on PC, I get black screen and all fans will go full speed (or just loud). However reset (or power) button always worked.

davegames
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I was having this exact issue.

Random black screens for what appeared to be no apparent reason.

As soonas I turned off Corsair iCue that I had monitoring the CPU temps this stopped occuring.

Really frustrating problem with this being the only source of information on the problem that I could fine.

colesdav
Esteemed Contributor III

Except that my RX Vega 64 / 56 and Fiji GPUs and way back to HD7970 and R9 280X crash the same way on Intel i7-4770K and 4790K CPUs.
I have seen things like this reported before - that it is other software in conflict.
It might be in some cases.
But I still see the crashing even if I kill all other background and foreground processes apart from game client, game, AMD Radeon Settings and other absolutely essential Windows processes.

Why is it that an Nvidia GPU can cope without having to do that on the same machine?
Not an AMD problem ....

gmergulhao
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have this behaviour on my setup with fresh clean windows (1909, 2004, not sure if 1803). No extra monitoring tools at all. Deepsleep bug, blackscreen before POST, BIOS time 20sec +

0 Kudos
eccentric
Adept III
Adept III

Problems like system instability and black screens often occur with incorrect bios settings for things like memory XMP or for things like OVERCLOCKING. which i'm absolutely certain you're doing or else you wouldnt install overclocking software like afterburner. 

The fact of the matter is, many people get a new x570 board or a newer board and grab and older gen ryzen CPU that will work with it, but they then try and set the board to use newer features like PCI express 4.0.. when the ryzen 2000 or 1000 series CPU doesnt support it on the CPU bus. The board does but the CPU doesnt, the memory controller and system communication is done by the CPU. 

Other issues are people are doing silly things like buying high end graphics cards and trying to "save power" on them.. lowering voltages also cause instability. If you want quieter and less power enable AMD chill, or use "boost" or both or something. The cards and CPU's already step up and down boost clocks or base clocks to save on power so setting power management link states and other garbage depriving your card of the power it needs to function or using overclocking software to limit fan curves and take away power will cause ... black screens and such.

Try properly enabling freesync in all 3 or 4 places needed for it to function, then try disabling enhanced sync and disabling vsync. Also ensure you've disabled every AMD graphics setting in global settings as people often turn on everything which doesnt ever work because many are dx9 or dx12 specific and others are for open GL and others are for slowing things down and limiting with the use of a buffer and others are for speeding things up and removing buffers. LEAVE IT ALL OFF IF YOU DONT KNOW.

Overlays, and overlay software and tools and importantly overclocking tools all fight for who has access and who is "first in line" and who is on the top of the stack and who is on the bottom. They will greatly slow down your system, just enabling a few graphs for performance cripples gaming FPS.. dont believe me? use doom 2016 or doom eternal VULKAN gameplay and your system in low latency freesync vsync disabled and all adrenaline global settings disabled..

then set performance monitoring to nightmare and you will see the FPS drop when more graphs and readings are added than from when its just to ultra or normal. my 2700x and x570 mainboard is quite laggy and gets 2ms-5or6 latency on average maybe? You can try disable windows 10 game mode or enable VRR in windows 10 and ensure you're up to date on windows updates and get latest AMD drivers it fixes a lot of issues with certain game titles.

Some games use their own buffering system or something so alt tabbing from them or exiting them may cause black screens.. you may need to run them full screen exclusive mode or borderless fullscreen far as i can tell.

If you want to monitor temps and FPS and other stats disable steam overlay and origin overlay and remove all the third party tools and apps and ONLY use ryzen master or the adrenaline software as it gets the job done and is probably far more accurate. If adrenaline doesnt do some things it its probably something you shouldnt be doing period. You can igors lab all you want but you dont know what you're flashing or changing to registry and editing your BIOS like that on the GPU or CPU is unnecessary risk taking. If the feature was good and necessary and stable then you can ask AMD to add the feature. If you want more performance without overclocking just enable PBO or FIT or get better RAM and NVME drives and parts in your PC, to get more performance try, buying performance parts.. Its a very unusual approach I'm sure you're all new to the idea.. like samsung branded ones or samsung bdie RAM or others listed and recommended on the AMD website. Then just fiddle with your windows 10 and its software settings or apps instead as you can easily reinstall or restore a backup or something to fix anything wrong with your OS.. fixing your PC hardware though probably isnt going to happen. At least wait till your stuff is out of warranty before you go fiddling with it trying to intentionally break it in a weeks time for about 10% faster for a week. There maybe were some issues with the "sleep" suspend on some laptops and certain systems and was often fixed by installing AMD chipset drivers like my board is x570 so i put in the ryzen x570 drivers and it comes with a ryzen power plan.. so yeah AMD power settings for your AMD system make it better a lot of the time. There may still be some bugs or issues with ryzen power plan over your system vendors bios or settings as the bios may be strangely incorrect and incompatible by default.. just try to keep your boards bios up to date and with AGESA bios updates actually bringing speed and performance boosts by a few percent you'd be stupid not to.

0 Kudos