cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Can I use the displayport for video and hdmi for audio via my A/V?

Jump to solution

To tell you the truth I am out of suggestions.

I would contact AMD Support and give them your data and see what they say.

The high amperage draw could be a glitch in the monitoring software or a Sensor not working correctly.

Miniboss
Miniboss

Jump to solution

I sent them a DXDiag before with the crashing back in June and after 2 weeks they get back to me with nada. It's an odd thing. Now going on 3 days and it seems fine. No crash yet, just the one error in OCCT. May be this driver is the best one for me. Running 20.8.3 with the Adrenaline software. If it acts up again, i can try running the base driver only or get a sound card to run an optical to my A/V. I did a "print screen" for another guy on here and it shows as 2 desktops. My back round printed next to my actual desktop as if I had 2 monitors. The right side "monitor" showed just my back round, no icons. The left side was my active desktop. So running the HDMI to my A/V actually sends a video signal that the PC sees but I don't. I can assume that when I game, the extended desktop is just a static back round and not rendering the game but it's still extra power/resources from the card one would think. Here's a screen grab. I only use "Hudsight" for BF Vietnam because the card won't render a gun sight in that 2004 game,lol.desktop.png

"It worked before you broke it!"
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

My A/V isn't connected to any monitor just the 5.1 speakers even though in Windows it shows as being connected to a monitor.

I had something similar when i connected both HDMI and DP to my monitor at the same time I had the second picture to the left you are showing. Except I couldn't go into my desktop and no programs would open up even though in task bar it showed it was opened.

I couldn't understand why my Desktop wasn't showing any icons but in the task bar apps were opening. Then I went to Windows Settings - Display and notice I had two monitors connected and realize that my DP was replacing my HDMI connection which had the active Desktop.

Once I disconnected the DP cable from my monitor, I got my HDMI active Desktop back again. I felt really foolish since I went as far as doing System Back recovery which of course didn't fix the issue.

Miniboss
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Well even more interesting is I ran 3D Mark Timespy without the HDMI and then with the HDMI, no audio either time and without the HDMI I picked up 4 FPS 7924 vs. 7920. I ran BF4 using headset and my game was smoother, FPS more steady at 200 high 130 low 157 avg on Ultra at 1080p. Temps were the real interesting part in that the both GPU and VRAM hit 70c but cooled to 56c during less intense times. With the HDMI in the temp stays at 70-78c on the VRAM and the GPU is steady at 66-70c, neither cooling off during less intense parts of the game. So I would say that running audio off an empty port might be ok but one is losing 4 FPS or more in my case and the card is using more power to the point of staying hot longer. 

Could having a static desktop with a video signal going to a blackhole cause corruption at some point causing the crash? If Windows sees the A/V as a "display" and it's sending a 1080p full screen image to an HDMI port with no way out perhaps the PC gets confused intermittently? No one has really delved into this angle. It's not a typical multi monitor config.  I don't think AMD nor Nvidia thought about anyone doing this setup.

When I built this I ran this card via HDMI to the A/V passthrough to my HDTV. I then realized at some point, that at 120hz max refresh, that was my max FPS, I thought. But it got worse, the A/V only allows for a 60hz passthrough meaning I was only getting 60 FPS showing no matter what any FPS counter said. Connecting it directly to the HDTV, my FPS was better but the 5ms GTG was not great with input lag. So I recently bought this Sceptre 32" 1800R 1080p with a 1ms GTG, FreeSync, and a 185hz via DisplayPort. The video passthrough on the A/V won't work with this monitor even in HDMI config. Night and day difference off DP, except color reproduction isn't hot on these type of monitors for movies and such. An IPS would be for that but than you give up refresh rate for looks.

So now I'm thinking a sound card because this expensive AsRock X570 didn't come with an optical out, just crappy Realtek 3.5mm jacks which won't do 5.1, let alone the 7.1 they claim. I should've went with the Logitech Z-906, they no longer make but on Ebay you can find them. But I bought a Yamaha RXV-371 because I wanted the HDMI passthrough not realizing it had a refresh rate limit of 60Hz. I hooked that to my Insignia 100W bookshelves and bought a Rockville 8" sub. For the money, the Logitech's make more sense now. All this to get 192kz that you never truly get out of PCM, as if my 47 year old ears could even tell the difference between 192kz and 88kz, 48, yes. 16 bit vs. 24bit yes, but the rest no. Heck my Corsair Void's sound fantastic but my neck gets sore from the weight after an hour. My vertebrae's at C2-3 are almost fused, longer story... 

The point is the Logitech's would've connected to the 3 jacks on the mobo and I would've had 5.1 in THX, woohoo! Nope, went the hard way. Tried to save a few bucks, either way it cost the same and I have a louder 3.1 that fakes 5.1. I guess $60 to find out if it ends the mystery is worth it. Like I said, this monitor won't work via HDMI passthrough on my A/V, it displays at 640 x 480. So might as well use the DP and get a sound card with optical to connect the A/V. The headphone jack works but the sound quality is horrible, Realtek's software is junk and it has no depth. The HDMI sound is great. Headphone jack means turning the volume up on the A/V to -30 barely any bass on HDMI -50 is decent, -40 you feel in your chest, -19 and the neighborhood hears it.

If I knew all I was losing is 4 FPS, I would just use the HDMI but my tests show it's more than that. Maybe AMD can make a feature to run audio via HDMI and shutdown the video part when using the DP or similar setups. It does make sense that video would be sent too. A good question would be how many have a crash issue and the sound is hooked up the same way. It seems stupid but a display is a separate process and it's tossing audio over both outputs too. The monitor being speakers off. VRAM, GPU, RAM and CPU all using some resources to a blackhole for audio.

"It worked before you broke it!"