cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

BOMBSHELL: NO Ryzen 4000 Series "Zen 3" support for 300/400 series chipset motherboards

Well this is highly disappointing, especially considering this is the last of Socket AM4, with Zen 4 coming on a new socket. Would you buy a new motherboard just to support one generation of processors, when the next will come with such massive improvements like PCIe 5, DDR5, and USB4, especially since you just spent $300+ on an X370/X470 board a year or two? I sure as heck ain't, and I have a feeling quite a number of people will feel the same.

Per https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2020/05/07/the-exciting-future-of-amd-socket-am4  And AMD's official side:

154 Replies

black_zion wrote:

Put it this way too: I'm planning to upgrade my aging Surface Pro 3 soon too. The decision to pick a Ryzen 3000/4000 or Intel 9/10 series is going to be affected as well.

It seems that service life for a given rig does not seem as durable as it used to be.

0 Likes
c2c
Adept II

0 Likes
west
Adept II

Good that AMD listens, but I guess not everyone will benefit from this.

It's not really appealing for me to buy a new motherboard, while my current one is barely a year old since the purchase (or barely two years old, since the date of its release). Besides it is a really good quality budget one. Maybe in a rare case where the new product is really good and at a decent price and I can resell my current motherboard and maybe loose not more than 10% of what I paid...Probably few people would do it. However I don't know why AMD thought the whole (or the majority of it) user community would be interested in doing that.

Companies should focus on providing quality and a better choice for customers and just the cheap prices won't cut it.

They should start looking beyond providing new technologies as soon as possible and start providing better support for their products.

That includes providing products, that will be supported for at least five years in my opinion. And they need to be explicit about that. No maybes or any uncertainties. 

Of course that also means close collaboration with other product manufacturers, because in the end, all those computer parts depend on each other and depend on whether that product will be bought, or the customer will choose another company, that gives them a better option.

Whoever wants to upgrade every year or two can do so. Some people just don't want to do that or can't because of a budget etc.

In the end if I am happy with a certain company's products I will keep buying from them and I will recommend them to others. They will still take my money one way or another for years to come, rather than it being a one time purchase.

In any ways, I guess we will have to wait and see how the upcoming b450 and x470 BIOS update is going to work with the new generation processors. I hope there won't be a lot of dead motherboards.

0 Likes

Not all X470 motherboards will be supported.
One way BIOS flash is a showstopper for me.
I would not risk it.
USB BIOS Flashback situation is unknown at present.
So for me, Ryzen 3000 series GPU is still the only upgrade path from 2700X on X470/B450.
Nothing changed apart from perception. 

0 Likes

I think colesdav‌ if the rumoured performance uplift proves true it will be very hard for you to resist. vendors aren't going to release the bios's on support websites until rigorous testing is complete (avoid 'beta' bios's on this occassion perhaps!). Imagine the warranty claims and media backlash if they got it wrong. I agree it's a bit of a shame for x370 owners given the am4 promises but to be fair vs. Intel (upgrade your socket/platform pretty much every new CPU 'gen'), x370 owners have had a good run with 3x upgrades. Whoever can hold out a bit longer can always have the excitement of AM5/Zen4 to look forward to next year

0 Likes
west
Adept II

Another thing is that there is a possibility, that AMD 5000 CPUs, rumored to be coming 2021, might be AM5 socket and not AM4. That leaves the question what happens with the X570 and B550 motherboards and how good of an idea might be to buy them, just for Ryzen 4000 CPUs? 

The x570 motherboards are more expensive and none of them has an entry level price, unlike the B550 motherboards, rumored to be with entry level prices.

So, I guess we will all have to hold on until the 4000 CPUs and see if there is any announcement about 5000 CPUs.

0 Likes

But if AMD does decide to squeeze in one last Socket AM4 chip before AM5, why would you buy it considering the next year will bring such large improvements?

0 Likes

Then I guess some of us would have to wait a bit more till AM5 and DDR5. It would up up to everyone to decide, based on their budget and based on whether their current system would be good enough for their needs for the next 2 (maybe 3 years).

Hopefully they make an announcement for release dates for AM5 after the 4000 processors are out.

I guess maybe computer enthusiasts and those with a good budget would be able to afford buying new motherboard and processor every year or two.

Technology is nice.  I am happy to see new gen stuff every year. However, that is not going well with my budget unfortunately, as well as with many other entry level users, who are a huge part of the community.

Unless you mean that, by what I said, there'll never be a good point for someone to upgrade, because there is new technology every year.

Upgrade is awesome for whoever can afford it. I would love to have the money to upgrade more often. However the point is, it would be difficult for more budget oriented people, since we are all overwhelmed by the new technology.

I guess that's the inevitable future, where we all have to get used to our newly released components not being compatible next year with the new stuff.

But I am looking forward to see the new motherboards and processors and their prices and benchmarks. Maybe some of us would change their mind in the end, who knows.

0 Likes

Yes there is new technology every year, but to have a new and major PCIe revision, DDR revision, AND USB revision all coverage at the same time is quite rare, especially when you consider the enormous advantages of both PCIe 5 and USB 4 in the consumer market.

PCIe 5.0 supposedly, aside from being twice as fast as PCIe 4.0, is much more power efficient which eliminates the need for active cooling and reduces costs, while the extra speed allows for more M.2 slots in conjunction with x8 electrical x16 physical slots without hindering performance. As it is anything less than PCIe 3.0 x16/PCIe 4.0 x8 hinders the 2080Ti, and if Ampere somehow is 50% faster, or in the next couple of years when a top tier GPU is 50% or more faster than the 2080Ti, then PCIe 4.0 x16/PCIe 5.0 x8 is going to be a requirement. This may be exacerbated by CPU power increases and improvements in GPU effects efficiency.

USB 4, aside from doing away with the 3.x naming nonsense, will also integrate Thunderbolt 4 and DisplayPort modes as well as increase speeds greatly yet again. USB 3 was released in 2010, while USB 4 is speculated to be supported by Zen 3 later this year. While that'd be a major boon to the mobile market, it's pretty questionable to how much of a benefit traditional desktops would get out of it.

DDR5, while bringing the most benefit to server, HEDT, and mobile markets, is speculated to provide a noticeable uplift in performance with high core count CPUs. DDR4 was released to the market in 2014 and won't be replaced by DDR5 until 2021 or 2022, depending on AMD and Intel plans.

All of these coming together makes it about as logical to pay a premium for a dead socket as it does to buy a 5G phone in 2020, especially not for people with existing ix-9xxx or Socket AM4 owners which aren't going to be outclassed to any meaningful effect with the investment cost of $400+.

0 Likes

My MSI X570-A PRO has a USB-C port on the back and I have a front panel box with a USB-C on it for mobile devices that need it.

USB-A is not going away very fast due to the extensive legacy it has accumulated. There are low cost UCB-C to USB-A adapters which can be used when needed. I have a USB-C box that breaks into 4 USB 3.0 ports.

USB-C power is a wrinkle that the PC with 12V cannot quite handle as it mandates up to 19V for laptops etc

0 Likes

To use Intel as an example, what possible reason do any owners of Intel 9 series chips have to upgrade to the new 10 series? Requires a new motherboard yet has no performance advantage (when overclocked) and only marginal performance gain (7%) when comparing to non overclocked. This is likely going to be the same story with Zen 3. Even if they somehow manage to improve performance over the 3900X by 25%, you're only talking a geomean of about 25fps for an investment of what will likely be $750 or more if you don't have a 500 series board (or have a one of the capable 400 series boards). For that same price tag you could get a 2080 Super, or Ampere's replacement, and gain much more than 25fps...

if you have broadwell or even sandy bridge, moving to the 10900K is worthwhile. For somebody with a 9900K it is not.

0 Likes

Yes, you are right (if I understood you correctly). That's why I said that these new gen parts would be most beneficial for computer enthusiasts with deep pockets and not for the entry, mid price range buyers or people with current high-end builds, good enough to carry them for additional 2-3 years or more.

Currently, there are lots of really good ryzen processors and GPUs to go with them.

DDR5, indeed is going to be a huge improvement, but current RAM speeds are enough for me personally to carry on, even for some time after DDR5 releases. But we'll see what will happen in 2-3 years time.

0 Likes

kingfish wrote:

AMD Will Support Zen 3, Ryzen 4000 CPUs on X470, B450 Motherboards 

There has been no new BIOS for my MSI X470 Gaming Plus since AGESA 1.0.0.4 surfaced. I check MSI's support page often to see if there will be any change.

While my R5 3600 works, UEFI does not work so no secure boot etc, other problems galore.

I posted a few comments while my X570-A PRO was on RMA due to it being bricked.

0 Likes

They might be working on AGESA 1.0.0.5 or 6. These are both things out there in the wild and landing soon. 1.0.0.4 was a big one

0 Likes

c2c wrote:

They might be working on AGESA 1.0.0.5 or 6. These are both things out there in the wild and landing soon. 1.0.0.4 was a big one

I did notice a lot of known bugs were fixed with AGESA 1.0.0.5 on my X570

c2c
Adept II

black_zion‌ I would take 25fps any day! that would be incredible in cpu-limited games/scenarios for which, sadly there are still so many games and some of the old classics of course. Top of my head Total War, Far Cry (pre FC5), Assasin's Creed Odyssey. There are so many where my water cooled Vega VII is just under-utilised while one or two threads on my Zen2 sweat it out 

0 Likes

Except games like ACO are GPU limited, not CPU, and not even a 2080 Ti can do 4k60, it takes at least a 2070 Super, which is faster than the VII, to do 60FPS at 2650x1440, even when being tested with the i9-9900K at 5ghz, so it's not that your VII is underutilized, it's just underpowered for gaming.

0 Likes

Very true! That game brings my 2070 super to its knees. Not sure if the engine is really that intensive or just that badly optimized. 

0 Likes

The AnviNext game engine it uses has its roots in 2007, so terrible optimization would be my primary thought. If I understand it correctly, it has never been rebuilt from the ground up to take advantage of more modern hardware the way the IdTech and Unreal engines are. Compatibility with Windows 7 likely also served a role in that, but that's finally gone, and the drive to incorporate ray tracing and other features found in DirectX 12 and Vulkan should finally serve to push all games going forward to use updated and modernized game engines. Sadly it won't help players of ACO and other such games, especially MMOs.

But look at the bright side, by 2028 you'll be able to play a game at 4k60 that was released a decade or more earlier on a midrange GPU. The way it's looking if Ampere and RDNA2 deliver on their promises, within 5 years The Witcher 3, for example, will have gone from slideshow on the high end at 4K in 2015 to a smooth 60+ on the lower end of midrange cards (the $300 segment). Granted the REDengine 3 used in TW3 was rebuilt and reoptimized for modern hardware in 2015.

Ok fair one black_zion‌ I had a run through of the ACO benchmark watching gpu utilisation graph and it is fully utilised. I disagree the card is underpowered though, it's just that its architecture derives from gpu accelerator tech (14.2 tflops!) so game devs have to build games in such a way that it utilises it properly. See attached but Vega VII beat 2080 and I think at least equalled 2080ti in World War Z, Battlefield V (possibly forza horizon too from memory). pokester‌ - game's badly optimisedworld war z vulkan.png

0 Likes

And that's why you look at a large sample size, in this case 21 games, of TechPowerUp's review article on the MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X. But this is getting out of the scope of this topic.

0 Likes

got a list of the games tested and the scoring basis

0 Likes

Yes, but my point was that most games aren't optimised to leverage the tech Vega VII offers. Vega was pushed out quick to try and compete but I think what we're seeing with Navi and big Navi next, is much more time invested to architect towards the way the games work this time. It will be fascinating to see the results but yes, off topic  . I've still so many games that are entirely cpu bottlenecked so bring on matisse refresh (3850x?) and Zen3!

p.s. under water cooling the above graphs don't really count, I'm running near to 2000mhz much of the time (sustained), no throttle/perma boost so the frames are very decent. The 16gb HBM2 comes in useful sometimes for games like Division 2 that use ~13gb of Vram for 1440p

0 Likes

I too think it will be interesting to see if AMD will ever again make a driver that actually works at default settings. After 2 generations of just awful drivers at this point, I hope it happens but not optimistic. If RDNA2 comes out and doesn't have driver that are stable and can play games new and old, I fear that AMD will likely lose the majority of the remaining loyal fans on the GPU side. 

Regardless pretty happy with my AMD CPU'S except for some motherboard issues. That can however be completely in the realm of bad luck.

I am surprised to hear you are CPU bottlenecked. I am running a 3600 with a 2070 super and often run at 4k 60 and have yet to bottleneck the CPU. 

I am also surprised that a game is using 13gb. I wonder if that is just what is allocated and not actually being used?

0 Likes

yes mate, a lot of games <= dx11 only use one or two threads so are entirely dependant on cpu single core score (Fallout 3, most total war games bar the latest ones (kingdom, warhammer). It's the only margin Intel are still holding onto but it's in the realm of ~5% now so most gamers are working out that the extra cost initially for an intel chip with no bundled cooler and then a hit on electricity budget plus cost of increased hot gases in their rigs is just not worth it. zen3...it's all over and sounds like Rocket Lake isn't shaping up spectacularly. another 14nm. Watch vram used here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n26IyhjRS8E&t=157s

0 Likes

My R5 3600 is still respectable vs any Intel CPU at the same price point

Games have long used Win32 threads and with the rise of dual core and above, the threads are now much more responsive

Games using < DX8 are hardware transform and lighting. DX8 introduced shaders which were refined with DX9 which was the way for many years before Vista finally shipped with DX10 and Windows 7 bumped it to DX11 which was a major overhaul with more focus on tessellation etc. DX9 had tessellation but the render focus was limited.

Now with DX12 in Windows 10 the model is more focused on waves of rendering across a vast number of compute cores. I have 2304 of them on my RX 480 and almost double that on my R9 Fury.

Hmmm all this about the chipset I would love to make a survey, how many people actually UPGRADE  CPU and how often vs the rest of components like say GPU, and you can't have the cake and eat it, so far AMD always tried to give us longest life on a chipset vs the other ones, that was let's not forget a NEW CPU with a NEW chipset that only work for 1 gen, so why all the BS? AMD DOES NOT have to give us more then 1 gen with the cpu , but yet they still try, all these NEW AMD fans /users are crying too much, why didn't they do the same when they used the other guys? hmm interesting question.

0 Likes

Because Intel didn't promise that their socket would be upgradeable perhaps?
I have an ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VII X470 motherboard running a Ryzen 2700X at 4.3GHz.
Upgrading that Ryzen 2700X to any of the Ryzen 3000 series is not worth it to me.

I do not need more than 8 Core 16 thread, not many people or applications do. 
GPU rendering on an RTX 2080 is faster anyhow.

Zen 3 8 core 16 thread might be worth an upgrade though.
AMD offer no reasonable solution for Zen 3 compatibility for me.
They offer a one way no return BIOS flash.
One way = No Way.

You know that AMD did deliver on that end  they said 2020? and we are on 2020, so what part did they not deliver? since when has AM4 been out?
so again people calling out stuff that's not true, just because you're mad you waited this long to buy, don't blame them to want to keep moving forward. they delivered on thier promise, they kept their word, what more do you guys want ?
Why hasn't the media call them out, at first it made a little noise but once everyone realized AMD did keep their promise, but not only that even made an exception to support even longer when people were crying wolf ( but of course at a price) they didn't have to, but they did and yet people are not happy, and the media dropped it and they left it alone because there was not story there!!

ps they did not promise support for a BOARD like 370 or 470 etc, the promise was for the chipset which is the AM4! and again they did deliver or at this point over delivered. Just stating FACTS no creating drama. proof to the lies or sneaky??  i'll be looking forward to what you show me as proof

0 Likes

Just read this thread.
There is plenty of proof that AMD tried to get out of their commitment to support Zen 3 on X470 and B450 boards.

AMD are trying to get as much money as possible out of their fans with the ridiculously high prices for X570 motherboards "because of PCIe4.0", RX690(aka RX5700XT) and recently the Ryzen 3*00XT CPUs

You seem to be a brainwashed AMD fanboy.

Please go away.
I am not interested in discussing this with you right now. 
Read the thread first.

I grabbed a R5 3600 so that my X570 board could achieve PCIe 4.0 which may be viable for quite some time as few SSD products even exceed PCIe 2.0 speeds to this day.

0 Likes

Honestly I didn't use the other guys stuff I have been buying AMD literally since their first XT chips. AMD has most of the time has had at least a couple generations on the same board. The fact is where AMD messed up is they promised it 3 years before and continued to do so many times over for those 3 years.

I don't recall Intel ever promising future support at release on any board, end users are just pleasantly surprised if it happens and that has been rare.  

Now for me I had 3 generations of Athlon processors on one board, an Athlon 64 x2, Phenom then Phenom 2 on one board, 3 Phenom II processor then two FX processors total of 5 processors on one AMD board. I am now on Zen 2 after upgrading from Zen + on my B450 board and will upgrade that to a Zen 3 likely in 2 years assuming support does come and others report good stability. I am not an early adopter and AMD stuff historically is buggy at release, at least in my experience. 
I know a lot of gamers over the years that have done the same. 

That being said we gamers are small percentage of overall buyers.

Again it comes back to don't promise it if you can't deliver it. Especially when you try to be more sneaky than honest about it. 

0 Likes