cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: BOMBSHELL: NO Ryzen 4000 Series "Zen 3" support for 300/400 series chipset motherboards

True AMD makes the 570 and 550 chipsets, but they're also pretty meh, having to be actively cooled which, while blamed on PCIe 4, is probably not the reason considering it doesn't draw that much power, which is why there have been reports since the end of last year that AMD would again turn to an outside company to design the 670/650 chipsets which would debut with the Ryzen 4000 series, so I feel the chipset manufacturer angle is pretty bunk.

https://wccftech.com/amd-x670-upcoming-am4-chipset-to-be-produced-by-third-party/

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: BOMBSHELL: NO Ryzen 4000 Series "Zen 3" support for 300/400 series chipset motherboards

I find Techspot's hypothesis much more realistic.

https://www.techspot.com/news/85180-amd-axes-zen-3-support-400-series-motherboards.html

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

AsRock x470:
------------------
- 16 Power Phase design
- Capable of providing extra 300W for CPU
- Supports ASRock Hyper BCLK Engine II
- 256Mb AMI UEFI Legal BIOS with GUI support

AsRock x570:
------------------
- 14 Power Phase design
- Capable of providing extra 300W for CPU
- Supports ASRock Hyper BCLK Engine II
- 256Mb AMI UEFI Legal BIOS with GUI support

Both have the same size BIOS and the x470 has a higher power phase design.
Something ain't right lol. This looks like to me that AMD wants to push their PCI-e 4.0 on the 500 series boards and now make up some BS that Zen3 won't support 400 or even 300 series. They can omit 1000 and 2000 series CPUs for support of Zen3 if that would be the case. That could well indeed work

I have 3 options for me. One: buy the 3900x or 3950x for the final upgrade for my x470 once the prices really come down. Two: buy a x570 or b550 board and a new 4000 series cpu. And finally three: go back to Intel LOL. I mean I like both cpu companies I had my 3770k from 2012-2018 then went to AMD and got a 2700x now using a 3700x. I will wait and see once AMD launches their zen3 cpus and see what Intel has. All I need really is a mobo, and CPU. DDR4 works on both platforms so I'm good there , using Flare X 3200mhz CL14. Either way I'm definitely upgrading something  But still annoyed at AMD for not at least supporting the 400 series one last time. Almost pulled an Intel, though Intel is always doing that crap making us change mobo's when a new cpu launches.

One more thing from MSI: "You want a value-oriented motherboard that’ll support not only the latest AMD releases but will also have you covered for all future AM4 product releases."

MSI's MAX Motherboard Lineup 

"have you covered for all future AM4 product releases" Really now, good job AMD I sure hope there is no legal action against MSI or AMD, because some crazy people might try to sue, they bought these motherboards for future AM4 support beyond Ryzen 3000 and now there is no more upgrade path.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

RE: This was brought up by "notanapplefan" on his youtube channel.

I wouldn't worry about that - he will change his mind in like 2 days for the next video.

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

I actually posted a link that for whatever reason was not approved and is now gone of the video on youtube from hardwareunboxed pretty much with the same opinion, but also with the opinion it most certainly could and should be done. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I'm also very pissed at this situation. I got a MSI X470 Gaming Plus during the last Black Friday along with a 3600X.

The cheapest X570 motherboard available around here was 50% more expensive, or around 100USD more.

There was no B550 option available and the consensus was that X470 boards would support future CPUs.

People are now trying to justify AMD's weasel wording, but they were misleading, plain and simple.

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Hmm, actually the part about AMD was out of position to demand expensive enough boards to 100% run latest zens makes sense.

Still AMD may let MOBO guys develop unofficial grey bios. Regular customer probably wouldn't even know about such thing exits, until he'll see a giant "ZEN 3 SUPPORT" logo on a mobo box. 

It's the same thing as overclocking basically. Enthusiast uses it on a daily basis, regular customer doesn't even know what it is or thinks it's smth bad. 

Anyway it would be nice at least to hear a good comprehensive response and explanation from AMD. They need to wisely damage-control the situation. I think they can do it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

This actually makes a lot of sense How AMD Sabotages Itself & Both Sides of the Story (B450 / B550 Chipsets & Zen 3 BIOS) - YouTube 
Reach Steve, AMD, and thank him, this guy's doing a community management work for you)

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I cannot see why it is in the interest of the Motherboard manufacturers to spend any effort to provide a BIOS to allow the use of older motherboards with new CPUs though.

They will want you to have to buy a new motherboard.

It is how they make money.

I am actually annoyed about the situation as well.

I have builds using these:
ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI) | ROG - Republic Of Gamers | ASUS USA 
Maximus 
and these:
B450 TOMAHAWK | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 
Libertas 

If you look at the first build example - I went for Ryzen 2700X + X470 because I thought that would avoid build problems (it didn't) and risk (it didn't) of using the newer Ryzen 3000 series and X570 motherboards.

I didn't really want to purchase the Ryzen 2700X processor but I needed to do the build and I could not wait. The "AM4 socket upgradable marketing message" was in my head when I went  for that build. 

I have not upgraded from 2700X to any Ryzen 3000 CPU because the increase in IPC was not worth it. I did consider the upgrade though but decided to wait for the next CPU upgrade.

Not that option is not open to me now.

So I am stuck on 2700x CPU or maybe when that CPU dies, I might pick up a Ryzen 3000 series to replace it.

But if next gen AMD CPU shows a big uplift in IPC and performance and core count versus Ryzen 2700x then a CPU replacement is guaranteed purchase.
I cannot be bothered with upgrading that motherboard though because that means full rebuild of the PC.
And I have enough PC builds for myself at the moment.

The second build is gaming build and is using lower cost motherboard and Ryzen 5 3600 with a Wraith Prism RGB cooler.
Really happy with that build and CPU but having the option to upgrade the CPU would be good on that as well.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III