Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Nickamus
Adept II

Black Screen Followed by Restart

Hello everyone!

Sorry for the long post and incorrect format (if there is one to follow) for a first post! I would have sent AMD a support ticket, but I get this error: Link to Error. I'll try again another day.

My full system can be found below or here: My Current System

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
  • Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME B450M-K
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
  • Storage 1: Crucial 525GB MX300 SATA M.2 SSD
  • Storage 2: Western Digital Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD
  • GPU: PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Case: Corsair Crystal 280X RGB
  • PSU: Corsair RM750x 
  • Monitor: Asus TUF GAMING VG249Q

In short, my issue is a black screen, all input becomes non-responsive, sound still continues as normal, then finally, ends with a forced restart with no warnings or BSOD. When it boots back up, no minidumps were created, WhoCrashed shows nothing, and only events on Event Viewer were recorded (). Please note that this is only occurring, currently, only on Cyberpunk 2077. Currently, after a third or fourth full system wipe, formatted the SSD and re-installing Windows 10, I only get crash to desktops. Then the process usually happens again after a restart or something.

I have this issue since December 2020 and have no luck in fixing it. Anyone got a fix for this?

My current conclusions are:

1. AMD Ryzen 7 3800X and PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 5700 XT are incompatible for Cyberpunk 2077
    • No issues when the pair was a 3800X and a nVidia 1660S
    • No issues when the pair was an Intel CPU 10th Generation i5 and a 5700 XT
  2. Cyberpunk 2077 is the culprit and I'm losing the plot over my system for no reason

Based on videos and forums, the following temperatures seem to be normal for my chosen parts:

• CPU temperatures: Minimum (idle): 45°C, Maximum: 75°C
  • GPU temperatures: Minimum (idle): 45°C, Maximum: 80°C and 100°C (junction)
  • RAM temperatures: Minimum (idle): 30°C, Maximum: 55°C

Tests I've done

• Test 1: Turned off fast boot
  • Test 2:
    • RAM back at base 2133MHz and CPU controlled by ASUS ["Normal" and not "Optimised"]
    • For the GPU, on the “Radeon Software”, I left it at “Automatic”
  • Test 3: Same as Test 2 but for the GPU, I left it at “Undervolt”
  • Test 4: Same as Test 2 but for the GPU, I left it at “Overclock”
  • Test 5: Resat GPU and RAM, making sure all cables are plugged in and not loose, reseating and applying new thermal for the CPU
  • Test 6: Tried the original PSU cables (I bought premium Corsair cables to rule them out)
  • Test 7: Tried onboard GPU
  • Test 8: Unplugged all unnecessary devices (only the keyboard & mouse connected)
  • Test 9: Tried each RAM individually and different sockets individually
  • Test 10: Reinstalled drivers and using "Recommended" and not "Optional"
  • Test 11: Removed my Lego stand to stop the GPU drooping down
  • Test 12: Used two dedicated 6+2 PCIe cables instead of one splitting into two 6+2 cable ends
  • Test 13: Tried setting RAM at 3200MHz @ 16-18-18-36 1.2V
  • Test 14: Tried MemTest86
  • Test 15: Tried other games and see if the issue persists (when RAM is back at 3200MHz @ 16-18-18-36 1.35V)
  • Test 16: Ran OCCT overnight
  • Test 17: Removed an adapter for the GPU
  • Test 18: Swapped GPU with my mate (he gave me his GeForce GTX 1660 Ventus XS 6G OC) to see if I get the same issue.
  • Test 19: Added my GPU back to my system after I did a DDU with the nVidia card and a reinstall of Windows (again). Had to use diskpart because my third reinstall of Windows some how locked it from being reinstalled.
  • Test 20: Recently, I've seen Cinebench being mentioned. Going to test both stress and stability test for both multicore and single core
  • Test 21: Tried Ubuntu to rule out Windows doing something in the background
  • Test 22: Tried a new motherboard
  • Test 23: Tried a new PSU
  • Test 24: Tried Prime95
  • Test 25: Changed power options to "Ryzen Balanced"

Any other tests I should do? Can RAM be the culprit even if MemTest86 has no issues?

Results

• Tests 1 to 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 17, 25: Still crashes
  • Test 7: Doesn't even output a signal - maybe it is a sign of a faulty motherboard?
  • Test 10: Works fine, then after the next shutdown, still crashes
  • Test 13: Can't even get out of boot
  • Test 15: Other games don't cause the same issue
  • Test 16: No errors running it but issue occurs when playing CP2077
  • Test 18: No crashes for 3 days straight with 12 (day 1), 6 (day 2), and 4 (day 3) hours in each day with CP2077. Everything seems to work fine with a different card. My mate had zero issues with my card when he tested on their system (Intel CPU 10th Generation i5)
  • Test 19: Crashes came back after one day. No issues with other games
  • Test 20: No issues running it
  • Test 21: Couldn't run the high intensive games I wanted so uninstalled it (badly uninstalled so had to use diskpart to clean it out)
  • Test 22: Tried MSI MAG B550M MORTAR and still crashes
  • Test 23: Tried Corsair RM750x and still crashes (originally a 650W of the same series)
  • Test 24: Running Blend and Large FFTs were fine. But small and smallest FFTs kills my system (shutdown and not a restart) a second later - unless I tick the "Disable AVX2" box
0 Likes
1 Solution

@hmanndk 

After several months of different tests, in the end (solved a few days ago) the issue was from the following components:

• CPU and motherboard - retailer sent me new one earlier this year. When the issue still occurred last month, I sent it back, but this time no issues.
  • GPU - last month I sent this back as well to the retailer and really hoped it was not faulty. Retailer tested it and turned out to be faulty. I've upgraded to the 6700XT.

Not sure if the RAM was ever faulty (since MemTest86 didn't report one error), but Amazon was happy to send a replacement 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
39 Replies