Adept II

Re: Black Screen Followed by Restart

0 Kudos
Nickamus
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

@RomatebitegeL - Can't find the quote button, so just going to use "@"

Just set up your possible fix, reinstalled it three times for good measure. No harm in trying though.

Only time can tell whether or not it will be fixed. My issue can happen at very sporadic times. 10 minutes into a game, 24 hours into a game, 1 second into the game, changing graphic parameters in-game, 5 days later, months later. 

The difference between the issue in that post compared to mine is:

1. Black screens
  2. For a split second to a second, sound still continues and I can still hear people on discord
  3. This is where it is different: mine restarts itself so no hanging or power still going. Just a hard reset. 

My current thoughts are now:

1. My microUSB cable connection to the H100i Platinum RGB is very loosely connected and at an angle because it won't stay connected. Currently getting constant disconnects and sometimes reconnects. Maybe that's causing a power surge and forces the PC to restart - thus the WHEA-logger event. Alternatively, it doesn't work after being disconnected and no longer sense CPU temperatures and overheats. However, I read that even without the microUSB connection, it should still function.
  2. One of the components connected to the motherboard via an external USB is the issue. However, I have no idea how to test this if my issue occurs at sporadic timeframe. Currently, I have connected to my PC:
    • Razer components (you can judge me, I don't care :P):
      • Firefly
      • Huntsman Elite
      • Lancehead
      • Base Station Chroma
        • FiiO E7 with UE900
      • Seiren X
    • PS4 Controller
    • External HDD

3. Communication error between AMD CPU and GPU since nVidia GPU worked fine my CPU for over 3 days. However, could be a red herring and not tested long enough. Also Intel CPU and AMD GPU worked fine for my mate.

4. Driver clashes. Can't really nail this one down since I can't work Driver Verifier and couldn't get minidumps even using these sources: Link 1 and Link 2
0 Kudos
Nickamus
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Aaaaaaaaaaand it happened again. Three times. All WHEA-Logger.

Simply playing Minecraft at the lowest setting possible and boom! It crashed. All at varying times. 

Played Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition with mates for a solid 5-6 hours, no crash. Moved onto Path of Exile for an hour, no crash. Move onto Minecraft and then an hour in, black screen, sound continues but struggling. Seconds later, my computer was really making a very good effort to stay alive as music is still playing but stuttering and I can hear my mates, but also stuttering. Then the usual end: a forced restart.

Came back on, loaded up MC again black screen and forced restart in less than 5 minutes. Third times the charm? Not in this case, less than 2 minutes and it happened again. 

I feel like just chucking this hunk of junk and hope that fixes it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RomatebitegeL
Adept II
Adept II

I don't know what cases black screen crash restarts of the system (or do you mean you restart the system?), someone mentioned in another thread it was the chipset something, and that he updated it and that he had no such crashes anymore after that.

But the normal black screen crashes to desktop, are they resolved for you?

By the way, if you press "control alt delete" and log out of the system*, you would not need to force restart the system.

* (if it fails to log out, just cancel, and the game will still be closed)

Since Minecraft struggles, try reinstalling the driver at least two times, and it may solve the issue. I had no problem in any games but when I played Halo all of sudden I got black screen crashes, what solved it was to reinstall the driver again just so that it did not crash again in Halo, and it succeeded. Hence, try to reinstalling the driver again, open Minecraft, and see if it is stable. If it is not, reinstall again until it becomes stable.

0 Kudos
Nickamus
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

@RomatebitegeL 

A week ago, I did try a different CPU (same make and model but different batch number) and worked for five days with no issues. However, when I put in my CPU again, it worked for four days with no issues, but on the fifth day, it was back again - gets progressively worse randomly. 

I wish I got crash to desktop. I never got crashes to desktop (only a few blue moon incidents back in December). At least I know it's a bad GPU driver or the game itself.

When I say forced restart, I mean the computer restarts itself. I don't do anything.

I'd like to try and see if Windows 10 2004 has the same issues - 20H2 may be the cause and it could be a while before we get a Windows 10 update.

0 Kudos
Nickamus
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Freshly reinstalled Windows 10 [20H2], latest BIOS installed, and AMD drivers (recommended) installed three times with factory reset [from @RomatebitegeL] at each iteration - no profile checkbox since it's a fresh install so there will be no profile existing. Also before December 2020 drivers were used. These are the results:

• Yesterday: Zero issues with only AMD drivers installed. However, lots of black screen until I turn off my screen and back on again - which is new. I also have turned off Free-Sync off the monitor since December 2020 - when this issue started. This is just playing Minecraft.
  • Today: Black screen, sound continues for a few seconds, then computer decides to restart itself in Minecraft. Few hours on Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition worked fine. So I can rule out Corsair and Razer drivers being an issue. Same error as usual: WHEA Logger Event ID 18

Current conclusions:

• One of my AMD hardware has an underlying fault that only trips on certain occasions
  • Window drivers are having issues with AMD drivers. 
0 Kudos
RomatebitegeL
Adept II
Adept II

Hi, I don't know if this solution will help, but it has fixed the crashes/restarts with other people:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/6900xt-constant-crashes/m-p/443533/highlight/true#M138...

Try reading the thread and find the solution. Perhaps it will help you as well, and it does not hurt trying.

P.S.

Also this thread has a fix that has solved black screen / blue screen crashes for some people:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/rysen-5-3400g-blackscreen-and-bluescreen/m-p/290455/hi...

0 Kudos
Punsher22
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I also have crashes but i have a 3900xt cpu and a EVGA 1070 gtx card.

1 second black screen and than Restart only youtube watching

all bios settings are in stock

Cooler: Scythe mugen 5

Motherboard: ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

RAM: G.Skill DIMM 32 GB DDR4-3600 Kit

Storage 1: Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 SSD

Storage 2: Samsung NVMe

GPU: EVGA 1070 gtx

Case: define-7

PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11  850W

Monitor: Asus PG278

0 Kudos
caleb_cruze
Adept I
Adept I

Here are some other potential solutions:

1. Use the Win+Ctrl+Shift+B hotkey combination to restart your PC’s graphics drivers. This may fix some problems.
  2. Force shut down your PC—you’ll lose all work if you do this, but sometimes it’s your only option. To do this, press and hold your PC’s physical power button until it shuts down. Wait a few seconds and then press the power button to turn it back in.
  3. Make sure your keyboard and mouse are connected to your PC and have battery power—seriously! Your PC may just show a black screen if it turns down the display for power-saving mode. There’s a chance your keyboard is unplugged or your mouse lost battery power and your PC can’t receive the input.

Regards,
Caleb

0 Kudos
Berndmuaddib
Adept II
Adept II

Ich hatte das gleiche Problem auch, schau dir diesen Link an. Hat mir zuerst gut geholfen, die Abstürze zu reduzieren.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cf111o/fixes_propably_a_lot_of_issues_with_rx_5700_rx/

Und oder probiere dann einfach folgendes aus:

Installiere die neue Radeon Software 21.2.2 , seitdem auf Level Game ohne Probleme !

In Win10 gehe zu Einstellungen dann System auf dieser Seite unten Grafikeinstellungen und stelle dort von Windows auf AMD Software um.

Wichtig ist auch im Bios den PCI Express von Auto auf Gen 3 umzustellen, Win10 kommt wohl mit PCI Express 4 zurecht!

0 Kudos