Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

RomatebitegeL
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Black Screen Followed by Restart

Yes I have a possible fix for your issue, since I too have had black screen crashes to desktop after windows updates, but I have always been able to fix them in the same way.

What you need to do is downloading the latest graphics drivers, and then when asking to install, press the option to do a factory reset (this is important) and then, also click delete saved precepts (this is also important). Then let it install, and restart your computer when prompted.

Now, your system should be good to go with no more black screens, but if they still do occur, renew the same installation process again until it works. I have had to install the graphics drivers in this way for up to three times before my black screen issue finally was resolved and removed.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Nickamus
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

@RomatebitegeL wrote:

Yes I have a possible fix for your issue, since I too have had black screen crashes to desktop after windows updates, but I have always been able to fix them in the same way.

What you need to do is downloading the latest graphics drivers, and then when asking to install, press the option to do a factory reset (this is important) and then, also click delete saved precepts (this is also important). Then let it install, and restart your computer when prompted.

Now, your system should be good to go with no more black screens, but if they still do occur, renew the same installation process again until it works. I have had to install the graphics drivers in this way for up to three times before my black screen issue finally was resolved and removed.

I hope this helps.

Sadly, this at best fixes my issue for one day or less. I have done 5 Windows clean installs (formatting my SSD to fully get rid of anything on it) and along with those clean installs, I used the recommended Radeon driver since November 2020 "Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.2 Recommended (WHQL)" - still causes issues.

Outside the Windows 10 clean installs, around 3 DDU's for different versions of Radeon to see if I the issue persists on all of them - which is all of them (only tried  20.11.2, 20.9.1, and 20.4.2)

0 Kudos
RomatebitegeL
Adept II
Adept II

Hi, you mentioned Windows clean install in your post, but I spoke of Adrenaline graphics driver clean install. It is important to make a factory reset clean install of your graphics driver with saved precepts deleted. These options is found at the beginning of the AMD Adrenaline Graphics Driver installation screen.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Nickamus
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

@RomatebitegeL wrote:

Hi, you mentioned Windows clean install in your post, but I spoke of Adrenaline graphics driver clean install. It is important to make a factory reset clean install of your graphics driver with saved precepts deleted. These options is found at the beginning of the AMD Adrenaline Graphics Driver installation screen.

I hope this helps.

Sorry. I forgot to say that in the GPU driver installation iteration (of all the versions I tried), I always use factory reset and don't save user settings. Like when I owned a nVidia GPU, I always do a clean install - just muscle memory for me to do it.

The reason I mentioned the Windows clean install because my SSD would be formatted and no AMD files will reside on the drive even if DDU missed it. Unless you meant a small bit of code is saved on the GPU's ROM (if that exists) each time I reinstall the GPU drivers that's why you choose factory reset and forget user settings.

0 Kudos
Nickamus
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I have a 3800X I am borrowing at the moment from a friend and have some promising results so far. 

Prime95 ran 2 hours with the the small FFTs with no issues, idling at 71 degrees maximum. Comparing to my one, where it immediately shuts down the computer after 2 seconds into the test - probably not healthy but I started it, had dinner, watched TV before heading back upstairs to check on it Smiley LOL.

Does that mean my CPU is faulty or is this another red herring test that I should continue using for a month before making a conclusion?

Might turn on XMP for the RAM to make it 3200MHz and see if the issue persists. Slowly inching back to where I was back in August 2020 - XMP Profile #1 and Radeon Advisor set to Gaming. Should I leave the CPU performance boost disabled to use my RAM at 3200MHz or should I leave it to ASUS's profile do all the work for me (I believe they set the CPU to max out 4.2GHz for the CPU)? 

0 Kudos
MrSleezeBag1964
Adept II
Adept II

WTF... so this is interesting.  I'm also running a 3800X, Asus Motherboard (X570 Tuf Plus), and started getting crashes when I upgraded to a Radeon 6800.  I've done everything... new SSD, new Windows, etc.  Doesn't help. 

0 Kudos
Nickamus
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Update:

4 days with the borrowed CPU, and no issues at all. 

Installed my original one again, first day (yesterday) was fine - using XMP and not letting the CPU go over 3.9GHz. Today, game black screened and restarted. Tried Prime95 again, and ran fine at low FFTs for an hour but running Path of Exile for 10 minutes and it did not like it. 

Might just conclude it's my CPU that has an underlying fault - or the CPU I borrowed didn't get a chance to reach the point where my CPU did.

Current results:

• Borrowed CPU - lasted 4 days straight no issues with Path of Exile. Hours on Prime95 Low FFTs test and no issues.
  • Original CPU - lasted around 24 hours before getting a crash with Path of Exile. An hour after the crash on Prime 95 Low FFTs test and no issues. 
  • Ruling out temperatures being an issue - previously my cooling unit wasn't sat properly since my idle temperatures were 40 to 50 degrees Celsius and now it's 30 to 40 degrees Celsius. Maximum temperatures of Prime95 Low FFTs test was 70 and 85 degrees Celsius (3.9GHz and 4.2GHz respectively).

I would use Driver Verifier but I have no idea if I'm using it correctly. Currently what I did before I gave up on it:

1. Create restore point
  2. Start Driver Verifier Manager (searching "verifier" in the Windows search function)
  3. Choose "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
  4. Choose everything except "Randomized low resources simulation" and "DDI compliance checking"
  5. Choose "Select driver from a list"
  6. Choose everything except Microsoft related drivers
  7. Restart computer
  8. Restore back to the point and restart the whole process again if it crashes but going through each driver by provider.

My computer instantly BSOD once I set it up (Unknown, AMD, Avast, Corsair, NordVPN, Razer, Realtek, and WireGuard). With so many different combinations that I can't tell what could be the underlying issue. At some point, WhoCrashed reported the following probably crashed it:

• nordlwf.sys
  • rzdev_0226.sys

So I tried them both individually (step 5 I changed to only Razer drivers on one run and NordVPN only on another run). Both got past the login screen. I've reinstalled them both for good measure, but still getting issues. Haven't tried Driver Verifier Manager with my borrowed CPU as I have already gave it back. 

Was my next step/test supposed to be leave Driver Verifier Manager running with only NordVPN and Razer?

In addition to this, my H100i, the microUSB is constantly connecting and disconnecting so not sure if that's also a cause of the issue (hasn't done this during my tests with the borrowed CPU but just disconnected there with my original CPU). My last contact with Corsair ended with they will be sending me a replacement of the whole thing - originally thought it was the cable is the issue, but if I plug in the cable at an angle and loosely to the pump it's fine. 

0 Kudos
Nickamus
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

4 days with the borrowed CPU, and no issues at all. 

Installed my original one again, first day (yesterday) was fine - using XMP and not letting the CPU go over 3.9GHz. Today, game black screened and restarted. Tried Prime95 again, and ran fine at low FFTs for an hour but running Path of Exile for 10 minutes and it did not like it. 

Might just conclude it's my CPU that has an underlying fault - or the CPU I borrowed didn't get a chance to reach the point where my CPU did.

Current results:

• Borrowed CPU - lasted 4 days straight no issues with Path of Exile. Hours on Prime95 Low FFTs test and no issues.
  • Original CPU - lasted around 24 hours before getting a crash with Path of Exile. An hour after the crash on Prime 95 Low FFTs test and no issues. 
  • Ruling out temperatures being an issue - previously my cooling unit wasn't sat properly since my idle temperatures were 40 to 50 degrees Celsius and now it's 30 to 40 degrees Celsius. Maximum temperatures of Prime95 Low FFTs test was 70 and 85 degrees Celsius (3.9GHz and 4.2GHz respectively).

I would use Driver Verifier but I have no idea if I'm using it correctly. Currently what I did before I gave up on it:

1. Create restore point
  2. Start Driver Verifier Manager (searching "verifier" in the Windows search function)
  3. Choose "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
  4. Choose everything except "Randomized low resources simulation" and "DDI compliance checking"
  5. Choose "Select driver from a list"
  6. Choose everything except Microsoft related drivers
  7. Restart computer
  8. Restore back to the point and restart the whole process again if it crashes but going through each driver by provider.

My computer instantly BSOD once I set it up (Unknown, AMD, Avast, Corsair, NordVPN, Razer, Realtek, and WireGuard). With so many different combinations that I can't tell what could be the underlying issue. At some point, WhoCrashed reported the following probably crashed it:

• nordlwf.sys
  • rzdev_0226.sys

So I tried them both individually (step 5 I changed to only Razer drivers on one run and NordVPN only on another run). Both got past the login screen. I've reinstalled them both for good measure, but still getting issues. Haven't tried Driver Verifier Manager with my borrowed CPU as I have already gave it back. 

Was my next step/test supposed to be leave Driver Verifier Manager running with only NordVPN and Razer?

In addition to this, my H100i, the microUSB is constantly connecting and disconnecting so not sure if that's also a cause of the issue (hasn't done this during my tests with the borrowed CPU but just disconnected there with my original CPU). My last contact with Corsair ended with they will be sending me a replacement of the whole thing - originally thought it was the cable is the issue, but if I plug in the cable at an angle and loosely to the pump it's fine. 

0 Kudos
Nickamus
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

No black screen and computer restarting itself with my original 3800X since my last post.

Yesterday, boom! It happened while playing Age of Empire 2: Definitive Edition. Also happened today with Path of Exile. Guess I can rule out Cyberpunk 2077 being the problem.

Haven't heard back from AMD for a week.

Only error I get from Event Viewer is the usual "WHEA-Logger" "ID 18" event.

0 Kudos
RomatebitegeL
Adept II
Adept II

I have made a little update on my fix for black screen crashes since I forgot to mention an important detail which may be the reason for that it works for me but not others.

Please see this link below and the subsequent comments, since perhaps (who knows) this may solve your issues?

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/graphics-card-issues/m-p/442325/highlight/true#M138300

I find it strange that I always, and I mean always, can fix all black screen crashes or freezing crashes to desktop in this way, but others would not be able too.

Anyone have any idea of why this fix always works for me in this strange way?

0 Kudos